News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

I am not a spambot ...

Started by rrr314159, January 01, 2015, 12:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrr314159

Hi everyone, just joined and am complying with the requirement to post something human. I'm reminded of Patrick McGoohan (#6) shouting "I am not a number!" (If you don't remember that, congrats on your low age.)

I've been reading your posts for quite a while and they've been very valuable (or, "invaluable" - which curiously enough means the same, instead of the opposite). Thanks hutch for your site and for Masm32; I'd thank many others also but would inevitably leave someone out. Still, dedndave deserves special mention. Thanks All!

Long ago I was a world-class 8080 programmer. There were no decent assemblers; I knew the octal codes by heart. Since then I've used various languages but have now returned to "machine language". It's always been the best. HLL's are like showering with a raincoat on, or eating with knife and fork; with assembler we get down to the nits and grits. I know 32-bit and am just getting into 64; may ask some dumb q's on that forum one of these days.

Ok - no bot could write those 3 paras. (Altho within 100 years, perhaps less, they will be able to.)

I am NaN ;)

jj2007

That was a nice intro :t
Happy New year, and welcome to the forum :icon14:

Gunther

Hi rrr314159,

welcome to the forum and my best wishes for a good year 2015. So you're back to the roots now.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

anunitu

I am old enough to know that is from the "prisoner" and might even be older than yourself.

And Dedndave is our "Special" little guy..(Sorry Dave,but I know even you would fine that funny)

hutch--

Hi rrr,

good to hear the voice of experience.  :biggrin:

dedndave

welcome to the forum   :t

and, thanks for the mention, but others are probably more deserving
i learned from them, afterall
i simply have a little more free time than some of the others,
so i can take the time to explain some basics

hutch--

He was an interesting guy Patrick McGoohan, I am old enough to have watched that series on TV but I best remember him as as the king on Mel Gibson's Brave Heart, Edward "Longshanks". I was even more impressed with Sophie Marceau and having seen here in a much later movie, she is just as impressive.

Siekmanski

Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

dedndave

Sophie will always be a favorite   :P

rrr314159

Hello and Happy New Year!

jj2007 - thanks!

gunther - I may soon be asking dumb q's on the 64-bit forum, c u there; hope qword takes it easy on me :)

anunitu - u may well have me beat - I'm 63 and proud of it ...

Dedndave - hope I didn't annoy anyone equally deserving, but when I was a noobie yours was definitely the most noticeable presence. True, others know more about certain topics (such as 64-bit) and are generous with their time. BTW we're very lucky retirees to have such a hobby to fill up those "unforgiving minutes"; I know some who are slowly going out of their minds with boredom.

hutch - Yes, Sophie is a lot easier on the eyes than McGoohan

- Siekmanski, thx - if that's your picture u must be getting tired of nostalgia by now

Meanwhile I'm wrestling with SSE, AVX, JWasm, VC13, Pelles, Wininc, ML64 (which, as it turns out, seems redundant). Reminiscing is fun but this stuff is better. Hope to soon be able to help answer q's from even-newer noobies.

I am NaN ;)

rrr314159

Update - I just spent 4 hours getting this darn thing to say "hello world" in 64-bit-ese, and am beginning to think 32 bits is good enough! We used to get the job done with 8 bits, after all ... and the salary was a lot better. The stack was easy to handle - just keep it aligned to 1 byte. I went thru most of the posts in the 64-bit forum; you guys are so far ahead it's scary. Oh well, maybe things will look brighter in the morning ...
I am NaN ;)

dedndave

64-bit code is a bit tricky, mainly due to stack alignment
but - good to learn, i guess
even though i am no big fan of 64-bit, it seems inevitable that everything will be 64-bit in the near future

32-bit code is a bit easier to learn, so may still be a good starting point

hutch--

rrr,

JWASM seems to be the best of the lot so far in 64 bit but like everyone else, I have yet to put enough time into getting used to the quirks of 64 bit stack alignment. I still have a lot to do in 32 bit and its far more elegant within its capacity.

Siekmanski

Quote from: rrr314159 on January 02, 2015, 09:56:12 AM

- Siekmanski, thx - if that's your picture u must be getting tired of nostalgia by now

It just reminds me how handsome i was 35 years ago.   :biggrin:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

Gunther

Hi  rrr314159,

or should I say Pi? If you're real interested in 64-bit windows programming, you could use that thread as a starting point. There are other useful threads, too. You should give a try 64-bit coding.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.