Author Topic: Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Revealed  (Read 2160 times)

anunitu

Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Revealed
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:08:06 PM »
Interesting as this is,a question comes to mind. Would you upgrade just because it was free,or would you want the option to go back to your win7 as an option. Could win10 end up like win8?

Win 10 is supposed to span all platforms BTW,tablets,phones,etc.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-revealed/1100-6424784/

Mainly I think like this because at times MS disappoints.

Your thoughts..

Also found this.

"NEWS ANALYSIS: Once the next version of Windows is installed Microsoft plans to begin a process of continuous updates that will eliminate the concept of next versions."

"That's when Myerson started talking about "Windows as a Service." The plans for Windows 10 include a continuous series of upgrades performed automatically. The idea goes far beyond the Windows Updates that are in place today.

Windows as a Service will include new features, new capabilities, and new Windows apps, all created for the universal Windows platform, which will encompass everything from phones to desktop computers. Myerson said that the questions about what version of Windows you're running will become meaningless because everyone will have the same version as universal upgrades progress."

An interesting concept, will have to wait and see where this goes.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
Re: Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer Revealed
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
You know what they say about trying to be 'all things to everyone' == 'nothing for anyone'.

Sounds like an excuse to develop windows from scripts... should be fun watching MSoft go down the drain.
Maybe Bill will come back and kick some butts...
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

xanatose

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:33 AM »
Continuous updates that eliminates the concept of next version? In other words updates behind your back whatever you like it or not.

Never though I would say this, but sounds like a good time to move to Unix.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:48:36 AM »
the best so far was windows 7 - and you can't buy that
they want to keep selling OS's, whether you need them or not

Vortex

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
Never though I would say this, but sounds like a good time to move to Unix.

It depends on the *NIX distribution. The latest GNOME desktop is just eye-candy stuff. Unfortunately, the major Linux distributions started to follow the same bloatware policy.

rrr314159

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
Consider Detroit: they had a monopoly, their cars got more and more bloated (remember fins?) and planned-obsolescent, until Japan blew them away with a sensible product. M$ goes the same way within a decade - but dunno who plays the "Japan" role. Android?
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 09:39:26 PM »
With my Win7 64 Ultimate, continuous upgrades occur anyway, every so often it want to load another 100 meg of God know what and from time to time they turn some things off, change your settings and generally piss you around. I had a perfect installation of VirtualPC then one day when I needed to use it, a Microsoft upgrade had killed it and it would not work any longer. I had to re-install their new version and reload the XP version into it.

Long ago I learn with XP to kill automatic updates as it used to do the same thing, wreck reliable installed software that you could not re-install. If you own a retail version of XP SP3, install it then go to the drivers and disable auto updates and they can no longer wreck your setups. Microsoft security on XP was always a joke so you turned their crap off and secured it yourself.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 02:54:44 AM »
I had a perfect installation of VirtualPC then one day when I needed to use it, a Microsoft upgrade had killed it and it would not work any longer.

No problem so far with Oracle. I have a snapshot which has a mounted drive J: that happens to be a subst folder on the real machine. So there is never a need to change the snapshot because all files that can change (sources...) are on drive J: - and that is both inside and outside the VM ;-)

Vortex

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 06:01:23 AM »
Oracle VirtualBox is a good option for virtualization. I use it at work.

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:05 PM »
Oracle VirtualBox is a good option for virtualization. I use it at work.

Yes, of course. But VMware is also a good solution and worth a try. I've both running.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.