Author Topic: Saying goodbye from east coast USA  (Read 5063 times)

anunitu

Saying goodbye from east coast USA
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:03:09 AM »
Well,once again we Meracans are facing yet another disaster level event,and it is only yet to be given an Apocalyptic name(Like snowmagedion)

Oh No,its SNOW!!!!!!

So bear with us as we once again run screaming and yelling..."The sky is falling"

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
Re: Saying goodbye from east coast USA
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 01:46:26 AM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:29:29 AM by vertograd »

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:36 AM »
Hi anunitu,

it's a hard winter this year in the US. Here in Berlin we've had luck. The temperatures are pretty mild here and we had only 4 days of snow until now.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:53:23 AM »
Iteresting, after my previous post  this website performance SUDDENLY decreased to very slow speed while all other pages worked as usual.  Once I had such experience here . Mistery ... :icon_eek:

Gunther

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:14:49 AM »
Hi vertograd,

Iteresting, after my previous post  this website performance SUDDENLY decreased to very slow speed while all other pages worked as usual.  Once I had such experience here . Mistery ... :icon_eek:

no, works fine here. The speed is okay. Must be the hard winter. :bgrin:

Gunther

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 07:42:55 AM »
Hi Gunther,
No , we have very mild winter here
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:28:00 AM by vertograd »

rrr314159

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:05:50 AM »
The majority of the East Coast is, as u say, panicking about nothing - the snow is a minor inconvenience. But, there are exceptions.

In rural areas, like mine, we worry about power outages. Half a million households can be without power for days in a big storm. The infrastructure is crumbling due to inadequate maintenance (i.e. funding), and it will only get worse. So, we make sure our Honda generators are in good shape, stow our Toyotas in the garage, call each other on our Samsung smartphones to commiserate, fire up our Chinese-made computers to type great posts like this one, and wonder where all the jobs and money went.

Talking about money, the other class that worries legitimately about the snow is the homeless, whose number approaches a hundred thousand (will pass the million mark in a decade, with no end in sight). After a major storm, a few corpses will be found huddled under highway overpasses. The shelters are overflowing; down at "CrossRoads" people sleep sitting up on benches in the waiting room. Many are folks exactly like myself, minus the pension/retirement fund (often thru no fault of their own).

And then there are a lot of abandoned cats - their owners couldn't afford them anymore, the pound was full and couldn't take them - who did OK in the warm weather but won't make it thru this winter. Of course, not many count them - I'm weird in that regard.

When I get depressed by such considerations it helps to think of Bill Gates, Lloyd Blankfein and similar. Bill's closing in on 100 billion. He could make all those homeless people financially whole for the rest of their lives, and still have far more money than anyone could possibly need. Together with Lloyd and a few others, he could fix the infrastructure and they'd still be worth obscenely many billions. But that's not the point. I feel great thinking of them, because ... at least somebody's doing well! That thought always cheers me up immensely!

I am NaN ;)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:26 AM »
Many are folks exactly like myself, minus the pension/retirement fund (often thru no fault of their own).

Yep, it takes very little to fall off the grid. Food for thought 8)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
rrr,

You could always come home and only have to suffer Tony Abbott.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

xanatose

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
Well,once again we Meracans are facing yet another disaster level event,and it is only yet to be given an Apocalyptic name(Like snowmagedion)

Oh No,its SNOW!!!!!!

So bear with us as we once again run screaming and yelling..."The sky is falling"

This started when news networks ceased to be news networks and became entertainment networks. Nowadays everything is a world threatening disaster.

rrr314159

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:07 AM »
Shortly after I posted last my internet connection died, presumably a line is down somewhere. Fortunately my smartphone still has a few megs left for the month, and I'm using it sparingly, but u might see less of me around here for a while (congratulations!) The snow is maybe a foot deep and coming down faster all the time! Looks like it really will make 2 feet, .. or, who knows, it might rival the blizzard of '78? There's no traffic, so it's all white, and incredibly beautiful; unlike Tony Abbott, who's white, but ... Somewhere within, say, 20 miles, a poor homeless guy is probably entering that wonderful numb, warm state you enter shortly before you die of hypothermia, but, hey, it's not such a bad way to go! Sorry - it's impossible to be depressed looking at this pristine white landscape. Also, nobody will be coming round to disturb "the old man", so perhaps I can finally get this 64-bit project off the operating table. Have a G'day!
I am NaN ;)

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 03:21:42 AM »

Gunther

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 05:17:33 AM »
Hi Dave,

interesting image. One question: I assume that the temperature value is in Fahrenheit. That would be approximately -12 degrees Celsius, right? That's cold but it's a normal winter temperature. In Siberia is it much colder.

Gunther

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 06:17:41 AM »
Dave: Why tall people? I would go for fat people, just in case.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:42 AM »
i dunno - lol
probably some form of lightning protection   :lol:

i saw that pic, and thought you guys might enjoy it

last year in Michigan, everyone was hoarding bread and milk
looks like bacon has taken over