Author Topic: Windows 10 Technical Preview  (Read 2268 times)

Vortex

Windows 10 Technical Preview
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:17:09 AM »
Here is the link to download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
Re: Windows 10 Technical Preview
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 01:08:22 AM »
Hi Erol,

Here is the link to download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO :
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

interesting link. Windows 10 comes in 2 versions: 64-bit and 32-bit. I thought the 32-bit support ends with the new Windows version, but that seems to be not quiet right.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

Tedd

• Procrastinor Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
They're looking to have it running across as many devices as possible, so they'll support everything in current use that doesn't cost too much additional effort; 32-bit, 64-bit, RISC, and even Raspberry Pi.
Potato2

rrr314159

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »
M$ blew it migrating to 64-bit. Extra registers are great, but everything else is a disappointment. If they dropped 32-bit support in Win10 90% of users would stay with 8 or 7, - or go to Linux, Android, whatever. They had a chance to make a great new OS but forgot to put talent on the project.
I am NaN ;)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:18 PM »
M$ blew it migrating to 64-bit. Extra registers are great, but everything else is a disappointment. If they dropped 32-bit support in Win10

They cannot drop 32-bit support. There is a codebase that has accumulated over a decade, no way to tell users "buy the 64-bit version". But that's not the issue - 32-bit applications run just fine on a 64-bit OS. However, there are still plenty of 16-bit applications around, many of them running in mission critical environments, i.e: big companies; and they don't run on Win64 (and putting everything on a VM is also not a pleasant option for IT professionals). That may be the reason why Microsoft is peddling back and offers a 32-bit version for Win10 - which, honestly, is an anachronism, a step backward. And I do believe that 64-bit Windows apps are useless crap except in those extremely rare cases where you need the larger address space.

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 10:22:25 PM »
The 32-bit address space is mostly enough, but not for large data bases or large linear algebra projects. Some image and video processing software packages may also have advantages in the 64-bit world. The practice isn't so easy at first glance.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

Antariy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 06:57:13 AM »
Where was a Windows 9? Just did not watched the "news" in that field for a long time, actually I do not look over that "beeps-and-whistles" news at all :greensml:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 07:05:07 AM »
It seems that the smaller memory profile and cleaner EXE layout still give 32 bit apps advantages over 64 bit apps in many instances. If you application does not require 64 bit addressing range then all you end up with is an executable twice the size that is no faster. Just recently I compiled the ancient ZOOMIN as both 32 and 64 bit and the 64 bit version did not work any better but was twice the size. It is unfortunate that Microsoft designed such a clunky 64 bit version as the hardware with its extra registers and wider data paths is capable of truly exciting performance but in cutting corners and building a RISC styled OS version they have produced a lemon.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy: