News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Need help with windows update.

Started by xanatose, February 17, 2015, 05:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xanatose

Does anyone know how to make Windows 8.1 stop windows update from forcing a reboot whenever you like it or not?

Windows 7:
Computer: Download the updates.
Computer: Annoy the user with a dialog if they want to reboot.
User: No
Computer: Ok

The behavior changed in Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1
Computer: Download the updates.
Computer: Annoy the user with a dialog if they want to reboot.
User: No
Computer: Ok, peasant, but we will come back in 24 hours and reboot whenever you like it or not.

23:50 later
Computer:  Ok, peasant, we came back to reboot. What would it be?
User: No.

5 Minutes later:
Computer: This is your last warning, peasant if you do not reboot we will do it for you.
Use: No, I am in the middle of something.

5 Minutes later:
Computer: Ok peasant, we are rebooting. Don't say we didn't warned you.

Then computer activates its build in tazer and Microsoft security employees enter the room and start beating an kicking the user in the ground. (Ok I made that last part up  :lol: )

But seriously, I want the old behavior back. I have a windows single language pre-installed on  a laptop. And the only solutions I found online where to use group policy editor (which this windows do not have) or a registry key, that do not exist in Windows 8.1

dedndave

my sister was having a similar issue with 8
i'll talk to her tomorrow to see if she solved it

GoneFishing

Change how Windows installs or notifies you about updates
I guess your update policy is set to "Install updates automatically (recommended)"
There's another option - "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" .
Windows Update has a description for every update package which tells you whether reboot is required or not  so you can make a decision when to install it. ( look at this screenshot - scroll it to the right to see description bar )

Additional reading:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-update-faq
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn-automatic-updating-on-off=windows-8

Gunther

Hi xanatose,

Quote from: vertograd on February 17, 2015, 09:01:24 PM
I guess your update policy is set to "Install updates automatically (recommended)"
There's another option - "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" .
Windows Update has a description for every update package which tells you whether reboot is required or not  so you can make a decision when to install it. ( look at this screenshot - scroll it to the right to see description bar )

that's the right way. But why would you like to disable the automatic updates? This feature isn't so bad.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

anunitu

For me personally,ANY update should wait until I read where the update screwed something,and it had to be removed(If possible) This actually happened with one update MS did..was in the news.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/12/microsoft-withdraws-bad-windows-7-update-that-broke-future-windows-7-updates/

Yeh,did not make it up...

xanatose

Thanks for the reapplies.

Today I woke up to the machine BIOS. Tried to cancel the settings and reboot twice. Didn't work. So I turn the machine of and on. Luckily no problems. Then I see that it was Windows update that rebooted the machine. I have no idea why the BIOS started on its own or why I could not cancel the settings without turning off the machine.

At least the machine seems OK. The only thing harmed (AFAIK) is my level of trust on Microsoft Products. Why break something as simple as, No, I do not want the updates now, I will reboot the machine on my own when I see fit.

For the curious:

Ended up with:
Never check for updates.

If problem continues, I will just block this two in the router:
update.microsoft.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com