News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Path Question

Started by tbohon, March 27, 2015, 04:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbohon

Caveat:  working on an employer owned and controlled machine although with permission to install and use MASM32 ...

Having problems with the MASM editor finding source and object files during assembly/linking.

MASM is installed on C:\MASM32 and the system path variable includes C:\MASM32;c:\MASM32\BIN .  My working programs are on D:\MASMWORK and try as I might I can't figure out how to get the programs on D: to assemble and link from within the editor.

Would LOVE to be able to use MASM more (old time assembly programmer from 200 years ago  :lol: ) but am stumped.

Thanks in advance for any tips/pointers/fixes or suggestions.

Tom

dedndave

there's probably a work-around

but, it's best if the project files and masm32 install are on the same drive
is it too impractical to move the project to C: ?

tbohon

I can probably do that but the C: drive is pretty full (it's small) and the D: drive is a 1TB drive almost empty.

What if I uninstalled and then reinstalled MASM32 on the D: drive?  Everything would be on the same drive ... would MASM32 care if it isn't on C:???

dedndave

that's also a good solution   :t

you don't have to reinstall, really
just copy the masm32 folder to the other drive and change the two PATH items to D:

in fact, one possible scenario would be to have masm32 installed on multiple drives
basically, it needs the include, lib, and macro sub-folders to assemble
of course, the binaries are also needed, but do not need to be on the local drive

tbohon

I can move 'em in short order ... thanks!!!!!!!!!

tbohon

And the move of MASM32 to D: along with the edits of the Include and Path variables fixed the problem ... YAYYYYYYYYYYY!

Thank you SO much for the quick response ... had totally forgotten that MASM likes to have everything on the same drive until you mentioned it.

Greatly appreciate the help and now I can work in MASM as much as I like ...  :greenclp:

Tom

jj2007

Tom,

No need to set environment variables. Just use

include \masm32\include\masm32rt.inc

as first line. Open that file in Notepad to understand why. Avoid to put a drive letter, i.e. no D:\masm32...

Welcome to the Forum :icon14:

hutch--

Hi Tom,

Welcome on board. JJ is correct, there is no need to set the paths as they are set in the include file. Its done like this so that folks who have multiple programming environments don't end up with the wrong versions of LINK and other similar tools.

dedndave

true - the path need not be set
but, he had 2 items in the path environment, already
if he deletes those folders, he might have problems with non-existant paths
so - change the drive letter to make them valid again

Gunther

Hi Tom,

welcome to the forum.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Siekmanski

Welcom to the forum  :t
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

tbohon

Gunther/Siekmanskie ... thanks!!!