News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

connecting using winsock

Started by gelatine1, April 26, 2015, 06:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fearless

just connected, then seen jj, then he left.  :( now im all alone.

jj2007

Hey, I didn't leave, I was just a bit absent...

gelatine1

Okay so I tried to go to the 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 in my browser but i get a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. (in chrome). I also checked with ipconfig if my default gateway is not something else but it actually is 192.168.0.1. Does anyone know why this doesn't work ? I also asked my dad for the disk of the router but it contained nothing but a pdf that told me I should go to 192.168.0.1...
Then I went to my firewall settings and I set an inbound rule to open up a few ports on TCP and any kind of connection. this seemed to work but when I checked again on http://ismyportopen.com/ it still said my port is closed. (is this site reliable ?).
Is there anyone who knows what might be going on ? or what I could do to get the port open ?

thanks in advance

Siekmanski

You have to do this in the router software. Can you get access to the router now ?
You need to forward the port number of your proggy to your local ip address. ( you can look it up via ipconfig )

Yes it's reliable, http://ismyportopen.com/ tells me that the port i use is open.

Try a higher port number, 2121 will do.
You are using port number 23, that's the Telnet port number.

Ports numbers 0 to 1024 are reserved for privileged services.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

dedndave

ok - i just tried it on my router
as Marinus mentioned, it IS 192.168.1.1
and - a dialog pops up, asking for the ID/password, as expected (verified firefox and IE)

if you don't know the password....

most routers can be reset

google your router make and model to see what the default ID/password is - and how to reset it
try the default ID/password before continuing, as it may still be the default

on mine, i hold the reset button down, power up, and continure to hold the button for 30 seconds
this resets all the router settings, including the password

fearless

3 of us on so far, come join us

Siekmanski

Stopped the server on my PC, chat session is closed.

Marinus

Farabi

Quote from: Siekmanski on April 30, 2015, 08:30:20 AM

Marinus

Whoa, you can do it? I never though it possible.
http://farabidatacenter.url.ph/MySoftware/
My 3D Game Engine Demo.

Contact me at Whatsapp: 6283818314165

dedndave

in this case, the "server" is a program that he runs

Siekmanski

Quote from: Farabi on May 02, 2015, 08:41:00 PM
Quote from: Siekmanski on April 30, 2015, 08:30:20 AM

Marinus

Whoa, you can do it? I never though it possible.

Yes, you can run a server on your own PC wich handles all the incoming data traffic from several clients.
If one client sends a message, the server sends back this message to all the other connected clients.

Server side:
Must have an open port to allow incoming data to the server.
A router blocks the ports so you need to open the port number you want to use via the router software. ( port forwarding )
The port number will be forwarded to your local ip address ( the one behind the router thus your PC in your local network )

Client side:
Don't need to open a port on there PC.
The client only needs to know the ip address of the server and the port number of the server.

jj2007, fearless and I had a chat with each other this way.  :biggrin:  ( the server was running on my PC )

gelatine1

I have tried to forward a port but i can't acces the routers software so I guess I will just test everything on my local internet until I find a way to access the router software...

Siekmanski

Search the internet for your router make and model and how to reset the router software.
Then you can access the router again.