Author Topic: Windows 10,not really free...as in get it free for a year,then you MUST pay  (Read 7505 times)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
One reason I'd like to use the latest OS is to see whether all my Masm32 & MasmBasic stuff is still compatible with Win 8 and 10. For example, somebody told me RichMasm crashed under Win 8.1 - impossible to test with Windows 7, of course. Remember we also had some new members claiming that Masm32 didn't install properly under Win8. So I wonder if I take 8.1, or jump in cold water and take 10...

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
what you really want, then, is one of each   :P

anunitu

Don't remember where I read it,but Win10 is supposed to get rid of some things Windows has had for a long time.
Might do a search to find out what is going away..

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485170,00.asp

Link goes to site with what win10 will not have anymore.

BlueMR2

Re: Win 8.1 or Win 10?
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
I'll need a new notebook in the near future. What's better in your opinion, take a Win 8.1 machine immediately, or wait a month and buy a Win 10 notebook?

If you need one now, buy the 8.1 and do the free 10 upgrade.

If you don't really need it, wait until you actually do (maybe you won't even need it in a month, maybe you can go several months).  The longer you wait the better for price/performance.  Always take the "lazy" option when it comes to computer hardware!

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
you could probably get a windows 8 machine for now - maybe on clearance sale
then - upgrade to windows 10 later - that would give you both OS's
not sure about the "free" version, though

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2485170,00.asp

Link goes to site with what win10 will not have anymore.

Thanks, very helpful :t
Nothing I would miss, though. Minesweeper, perhaps :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
I've bought the Win 8.1 notebook :redface:
It has been busy for half an hour now, updating Windows and all that; downloading my "apps" (I guess I will have to google how to get rid of "my apps" :icon_mrgreen:). Now it prepares my "apps". Fascinating. All that in Italian btw, in order to make googling for help more difficult.
Now it fakes to be an AI: "I am almost ready". And "don't switch off the pc" - should be "don't switch me off", right?
The screen changes colour all the time, signalling "I am alive and working hard for you".
I think it's a she. Saying "I am almost ready" and then disappearing for an hour is very femalish ::)

HA - it came back, asking me to "prenote" installation of Win 10 (a 3GB download). I said "not now", and get punished immediately with an error message: "one of the scripts slows down crappy MSIE" (guess which part I translated to normal speak?). So I clicked "don't interrupt", and now Acer tells me they have things called BYOC that will help me to get through life. Wow. Evil as I am, I clicked on the X in the upper right corner.

Hey, there is my desktop, full of icons. Bocking.com, obay, flopbox, etc etc - where is the cleaning lady???

Will keep you posted...

Raistlin

@jj2007

I think at this point you hit the reset button - then low level format (ca'nt be too careful) and then
install a bland win7 sp2 (that is if you are willing to look for the drivers). Let me just say it aint
worth it -> re Win 8.1. "The lady in the red dress" is just that; a figment of an over active imagination
that pretends she's going to give you pleasure and then run's off with a guy called Bill as soon
as you have you're drawers off.
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Too late, it's installed now, FF is running fine, and I even managed to connect it to my main machine (next to it) via the "home" group & ethernet. But 8.1 sucks, as all Windows versions except, of course, Windows RG.

So Win 8 lets me share images, videos and music, three folders, but I am not allowed to add a fourth one "docs" or "sources". Today's megadumb M$ users are not supposed to have "documents" (what happened to Office??), just multimedia stuff. So I will shove my sources into "Images", or maybe create an extra folder there and do something naughty and ultraconservative: subst from a DOS prompt 8)

Magnum

It might be the browser.

When I use k-meleon instead of chrome, explorer or firefox I usually get faster downloads in windows. I guess all that spying, err sorry, unwanted sharing of information, puts a toll in the connection.

I will try k-meleon to see if it is faster.

As a scientist, I have to experiment. :-)

On another note.

Since XP got unsupported, I get no "Windows irritating messages.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org