other than that - can't help, much
what are you installing ?

ordinal203

Quote from: ordinal203 on June 21, 2012, 09:31:37 AM
Quote from: dedndave on June 21, 2012, 09:29:14 AM
looks like that ordinal refers to GetDefaultPrinterW
other than that - can't help, much
what are you installing ?

I'm installing Masm32 itself, the console window came up, Masm32 started installing then the error box came up displaying what is described

MichaelW

Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

hutch--

Tell us 2 things, are you installing the current version of MASM32, version 11 AND what OS version are you installing it on.

It is also useful to know if your AV scanner is interfering with the installation.

ordinal203

I'm running Windows 7 with Norton Internet Security 2012.

Norton quarantined the install executable originally. So I turned off my anti virus and then installed it.

I'm installing this version: http://www.masm32.com/masmdl.htm

From the "UK Site". I ran install.exe, pressed install then all of the OK messages came up. The message box came up asking me to press Extract, I clicked extract and then the console window came up, it started flicking through very fast and installing all of the files but then suddenly an error popped up as described in OP.

hutch--

It would appear that something in your OS configuration or AV scanner is blocking the creation of a temp file with a DRV extension.

ordinal203

Hmm, any idea how I could allow such extensions to be created? I've made sure that my AV is completely turned off and has no part in it.

dedndave

something is hosing up the works
you must realize, it is difficult for us to troubleshoot such a problem without sitting in front of the machine   :redface:

i think i would try this...

1. delete the current installation folder masm32

2. reboot

3. open the task manager and shut down any unnecessary programs that may be running in the background
(or otherwise terminate them)

4. the masm32 package should be installed in the root of a drive
it can be any drive (C:\, D:\, etc), but it must be in the root of that drive (C:\masm32)
it should be the same drive as the one you want to use for project files

5. try the install again
leave the machine alone (no keyboard or mouse activity) until it is finished

ordinal203

Thank you, it is 1:30AM here so I'm going to sleep but when I wake up I'll be sure to follow those instructions, thanks!  :biggrin:

P1

Quote from: ordinal203 on June 22, 2012, 10:21:07 AM
Thank you, it is 1:30AM here so I'm going to sleep but when I wake up I'll be sure to follow those instructions, thanks!  :biggrin:
For the most part, install MASM on a 'clean' machine.   Copy to Portable Storage, copy to target machine.  Set .asm association to to QEditor.  Quick and dirty, but very effective. 

At a machine, where you may not have admin rights, copy to sub-directory and use this command in a batch file:C:\Windows\System32\subst.exe M: C:\Users\User_Name\MASM32Then set your association to this location.  Works with W7 and a paranoid LANadmin, Oh I mean, AV restricting your computer.  PS:  Do not use words like "setup"(but "set-up" works) in your resource section it trips off UAC protection.

Regards,  P1   8)

byteboy12

Hi,

I had the same problem.
Being a complete noob at this, I searched the forum with the error message and found your question.

Since there was no solution given, I ran the installation again and studied the output in the command console window more closely..

Following the sugestion given in the command console window at the end of the (failing) installation process, to run the bat-file "makelibs.bat" in the masm installation directory manually, the installation succeeded!    :biggrin:

Henry

hutch--

Henry,

Welcome on board. usually the problems are related to disk IO on later machines. As the MASM32 installation is a fully portable application, some aspects of the machine's configuration are beyond the scope of the installation, this is why the masm32 download page has specific information on machine configuration to ensure a safe install. A machine set up for protecting non-techical users is unsuitable for this type of development environment as it must have safe disk IO to successfully install. Most of the problem occur when either the OS or an AV scanner silently deletes an executable file that is part of the install. This interference damages the installation and prevents it from completing so that it works correctly. The only solution is to configure the machine so that the development tools and libraries can work correctly.

nanjusoil

this problem really disturbed me.
so after seaching google.
i was directed to this forum.
and thanx to byteboy12
his method really works for me.