Previous topic - Next topic

Antariy

Quote from: frktons on December 04, 2012, 06:54:15 AM
Well done Alex, after a couple of years it should be
mature enough to be used, when needed.

Thank you, Frank!
Yes, I have added some nice bits and bugs into the program since then :biggrin:

Quote from: Farabi on December 06, 2012, 01:30:01 AM
Whoa alex, youre a great coder, this is cool.

Thank you for the compliments, Onan! :t

Quote from: Magnum on December 06, 2012, 02:33:24 AM
Alex,

Have you considered posting your info on groups such as alt.comp.freeware?

I would consider it good info and a lot of people read those kind of groups.

Andy

Andy, I have thought about it but unsure: there are too many "memory optimizers" and some of them contain too many lie in the "features", so reputation of the "memory optimizer" is wet. It is different kinds of things: to post it on the forum with the people that have wide education and good knowledge of a programming and computer systems, like the MASM32 Forum is, and to post it on some boards with a regular computer users.
Thanks for your thoughts, too! :t

Magnum

I can't figure out how to use Ram Clear.

I have 2 Gb free, but can't optimize no matter what combination I use.

I opened a bunch of stuff to lower the free RAM.

Andy
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Antariy

Enter the integer size to free into first combobox, select the units of the size measurement in the second combobox, so it will be, for instance, "Free-up to: [512   ] [MB   ]", then click "Optimize".

It needs to be switched into Advanced mode, and Enhanced Algorithm should be activated.

The settings are simply and described in help file - you can press F1 when program's interface is active to launch the help file.

anta40

Quote from: Antariy on December 06, 2012, 01:19:14 PM
there are too many "memory optimizers" and some of them contain too many lie in the "features"

Well probably. I don't use these so called "memory cleaners/optimizers" anymore.
I think this task better left to the OS right?

Antariy

The reasons (not) to use such the programs have already been described in the topic. Sometimes you may need to force OS to swap the stuff out of the RAM.

CommonTater

Quote from: Antariy on December 07, 2012, 01:41:20 PM
The reasons (not) to use such the programs have already been described in the topic. Sometimes you may need to force OS to swap the stuff out of the RAM.

The problem with many of these memory optimizers is they compete with Prefetch algorythms in the OS...

In Win7 if you disable Prefetch and SuperFetch, a memory optimizer can actually be quite helpful.

Antariy

Quote from: CommonTater on December 07, 2012, 01:53:36 PM
The problem with many of these memory optimizers is they compete with Prefetch algorythms in the OS...

That is why it does not have a most useless and even harmful feature, like many other optimizers do, so called "auto optimization" (when user enters some time interval and/or memory load percentage, when the optimizer starts the optimization itself in background, without user prompt), because this feature makes a mess and slows the computer (OS) down.

This tool was designed to be used by demand, in the circumstance when any other way will be just even more noncomfortable to the user, than noncomfortability that caused by the optimizer. I.e., when the user really has a need to free some memory, and agrees to get some inconvenience from this action, like slowing other programs down for a some time in the moment, and after, of optimization.

Quote from: CommonTater on December 07, 2012, 01:53:36 PM
In Win7 if you disable Prefetch and SuperFetch, a memory optimizer can actually be quite helpful.

Actually, with the target specified above, it was successfully extremely tested on Win7 with the default OS settings. In some point it even maybe seemed as a tool to free prefetching caches, when user does not want to turn prefetching off completely.

Of course all of these points make the more sense the less RAM the user's computer has, but we all know: there is no such thing like "too much RAM" :biggrin: