Author Topic: Zen in the Wilderness  (Read 5990 times)

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
Zen in the Wilderness
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »
It seems like every summer I post at least one thread promoting the fantastic scenic splendors of the Sierra Nevada (California).   
 :dazzled:...I do this just to annoy you guys,....:dazzled:

...So,...here is this summer's fabulosity,...
Ansel Adams Loop

Quote from: LEOR PANTILAT
With awesome scenery and close proximity to the year around resort town at Mammoth Lakes, the Ansel Adams Wilderness is one of the most popular wilderness areas in the Sierra Nevada.

...If you just happen to have a military drone equipped with missiles,...that's where I live, in the summer,...Mammoth Lakes,...
 :bgrin:...I promise,...I won't try to shoot it down,...:bgrin:

The small lake to the right in the image is Shadow Lake. The two highest peaks are: Mount Ritter and Banner Peak, (both about 13,000 feet).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:17:44 AM by Zen »
Zen

rrr314159

Re: Zen in the Wilderness
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:27 AM »
Leor Pantilat at your ref. says, referring to hiking the "Ansel Adams Loop", "in the process taking over 100 photos in about 20 minutes!" Ansel Adams took about 1 photo per half hour if that, so Leor has him beat by factor of about 200. And yet, somehow, one Ansel Adams photo is worth more than Leor's lifetime output ...
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Zen in the Jurassic Wilderness
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:35 AM »
You are lucky you have scenery like this, OZ is too old to have high mountains unless you count Heard Island and it is really cold that far down. Now if I have it right what you should be willing to shoot down are the UFO's that are supposed to frequent that area as long as you don't mix them up with secret US military aircrafts or they may send out the MPs to your location.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:36:19 AM »
Thanks, Zen, the scenery is fabulous indeed :t

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 03:43:27 AM »
Quote from: RRR314159
...And yet, somehow, one Ansel Adams photo is worth more than Leor Pantilat's lifetime output ...

This is not true. Yes, Ansel Adams shot some great (black and white) photos,...but, if you explore Leor Pantilat's website, you will discover that he, not only is a great photographer, but, he has taken photographs of much of the best of California's High Sierra. The modern digital camera is superior in every way to the equipment that was available in Ansel Adams day,...

...If you scroll down through Leor Pantilat's Adventures Main Webpage,...you will notice on the right side several lists of links. Look through: the Personal list, where there are recaps of years 2014-2009. This is his best stuff,...:bgrin: 

Just to give you an example,...here are a number of my favorites:   
Mount Ericsson and Mount Genevra, 2014
Mount Bago and Mount Rixford, 2014
The Roof of Yosemite Loop, 2014
Sky Haven and Cloudripper, 2013
Mount Stanford and Kings-Kern Loop, 2013
Zen

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 04:05:39 AM »
This is an image of the North Fork of Big Pine Creek, the Palisades Region, John Muir Wilderness. That high peak in the center of the horizon is Mount Sill (elevation: 14,153 feet). At the base of it (to the right) is the Palisade Glacier,...the largest remaining glacier in the Sierra Nevada. This is one of the most (extreme) alpine areas of the Sierra Nevada. This is approximately 70 to 80 miles south of Mammoth Lakes.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:47:19 AM by Zen »
Zen

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 04:37:41 AM »
Actually,...I have an ulterior motive for posting these kinds of images. Most of you do not live in California,...but, if you ever come here on vacation, it's best to avoid the large chaotic urban areas of Southern California (population, 22.6 million), because they are crowded with ugly freeways, it seems like every automobile on the planet, criminal gangs, illegal immigrants, and hordes of extremely boring and annoying people.
Many areas not frequented by tourists (like the vast wilderness areas, National Forests, and National Parks of California) are well worth visiting. Much of the coastline north of Monterey and Big Sur is beautiful, and relatively uncrowded.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:43:07 AM by Zen »
Zen

anunitu

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 06:51:34 AM »
Being I grew up in Northern California(SF bay area) I know what you mean about outside the big cities...I am in NJ,and miss The golden state everyday...

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:55:09 PM »
It seems like every summer I post at least one thread promoting the fantastic scenic splendors of the Sierra Nevada (California).   
 :dazzled:...I do this just to annoy you guys,....:dazzled:
It is curious, Sierra Nevada (Snowfall Mountain in English) is in Spain, very nice too. California seems to be very beautiful, but a bit far to visit  :icon_rolleyes:.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

- There are 10 kind of people: those who know binary numbers and those who don't -

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »
i hear they have some big trees up that way

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:16:05 PM »
i hear they have some big trees up that way

New haircut, Dave?

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »
it's a shower cap - lol

anunitu

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 02:25:30 AM »
Been playing with Google's search with a graphic image thing. Would love to see the code they use to accomplish this... It does mostly work so there is that.

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:35:47 AM »

Rae Lakes, Kings Canyon National Park (approximately 10.000 feet elevation), about 100 miles south of Mammoth Lakes,...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 04:06:47 AM by Zen »
Zen

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 01:43:50 AM »
Truly stunning stuff, I had a look at where it is on Google Earth and with the high mountains around it I would imagine the winters there would be really cold.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin: