News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

DO NOT upgrade to Windows 10

Started by sinsi, August 17, 2015, 08:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

Upgraded my other tester last week from 7 Home to 10 Home, all nice, faster etc.
Booted Sunday, stuck with the little circling thing. Reboot, automatic repair, doesn't find any problems.
Look in the log file, last line is something about system repair version not compatible with installed Windows version. WTF?
Managed to get it all back via system restore, now holding my breath for the next update to bork it.

Tomorrow's jobs:
Problem: since win10 upgrade it's not working properly. It is switching on, however is constantly rebooting itself.
Problem: new computer was upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10, was working fine but then after it was restarted the screen started flashing blue.
Problem:
- download windows 10
- shut down and won't start up again
- attempted to reset for about 5 minutes and then freezes

Having used the previews (on fast track) when I got the latest build it was 2 weeks until release.
There was no way in hell they could have fixed all of the bugs before release, this just proves it.

I am going to stock up on Windows 7 and 8.1 retail discs before they're all gone ::)

shankle

I for one will never get windows 10.

Ok, so Microsoft wants to make more money with
this toy. But I will never be able to understand their thinking
of why they will not make one for business and PCs?

TouEnMasm

did you try some of the soluce from here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898495(v=vs.85).aspx

There is also,at boot,« SHIFT » + « F8″
Fa is a musical note to play with CL

avcaballero

I'm afraid that the latest good OS from Microsoft is W7, till they success unifying Windows in all platforms, don't know when it will take place.
I substitute the W8.1 from my child's laptop by Linux and I hold W7 in my laptop as long as I can. Unfortunately somebody thinks that almost every pc has to have Windows preinstalled.

Raistlin

Just upgraded my Nextbook 8 inch Tablet to Win 10......
Will let you know what Happens...

Sinsi - Could You not have posted 10 hours earlier Damnit!
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

rrr314159

I've wondered why Win 8, especially, and also 8.1, gets such bad press. So I checked on the net and seems the complaint is, they don't like Metro! Also the start button is different / absent (OMG, the sky is falling!) After an hour I didn't even notice these things. Plus once you get used to it, Metro screen can come in handy - altho, admittedly, I slightly prefer 7's interface. But 8 seems a bit more stable than 7, I have to really screw up to crash it. With 7, any decent screw-up (like not balancing pushes and pops, or infinite loop) might take it down; that's my impression anyway. Bottom line, don't see what the fuss is about
I am NaN ;)

jcfuller

I never had much of an issue with 8.1 either.

I've upgraded Win7 to 10 on 2 rigs,  and 8.1 to 10 on another.
No issues.
Old Dell laptop core2-duo 2 gigs ram 7 -> 10
High end HP laptop i7 8 gigs. 7 -> 10
Dell tower i5 4 gigs. 8.1 ->

James

xanatose

Thanks, I will continue with 8.1 then.

I guess will try in a year or so.

Donkey

My upgrade to 10 was as smooth as silk. I have had no major problems with it and the upgrade was easy. I like Windows 10 an easy and familiar interface that amkes the step up from Windows 7 as painless as it can be.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

sinsi

One of my upgrades was painless, the other took a bit of recovery.
My three problem jobs were 1) Norton screwed itself, 2) nothing to do with 10 (silly user) and 3) NVidia/Windows Update conflict with drivers.
Today's job was 10's fault but restored 7 OK.
Tomorrow I have two more 10 jobs, see what happens.

I like 10, fast on good hardware (~5 seconds to boot to desktop with SSD), everything still works OK.
Mind you, I always liked 8 too...

Raistlin

QuoteNorton screwed itself

LOL - I remember Norton having a history of screwing with a Windows OS.
At one stage Norton Internet Security would gobble a wopping 40% of
system resources - causing Techies to answer troubling questions as to why
the brand new state of the art pc - was so slow.............

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

rrr314159

Quote from: sinsiDO NOT upgrade to Windows 10
- :icon13:

Quote from: sinsiI am going to stock up on Windows 7 and 8.1 retail discs before they're all gone
- :eusa_snooty:

Quote from: sinsiI like 10, fast on good hardware (~5 seconds to boot to desktop with SSD), everything still works OK.
- :eusa_dance:

Quote from: sinsiTomorrow I have two more 10 jobs, see what happens.
- :icon_confused:

- Can't wait to see how it turns out! Better than "The Perils of Pauline" ... :biggrin:
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

> I am going to stock up on Windows 7 and 8.1 retail discs before they're all gone

Best of luck getting Win7 64 Ultimate retail new, I tried for a couple of months so I could build a new machine but in vain. Some shonky stuff available on eBay, one retailer in SA would only accept direct bank payment (no recovery for getting brassed) and a guy in Sydney selling the black box version retail pulled a scam so I had to screw it back out of him through PayPal.

shaikkareem

lots of cons and pros, so much confusion to windows users (myself also) regarding to windows 10 upgrade.

sinsi

Don't forget, you have until July next year to get the free upgrade, it doesn't have to be now.