Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 12264 times)

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
Windows 10
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:28:38 PM »
So I upgraded to Windows 10 on the first available day, I actually bought a new system just to upgrade. Asus ET2702IGTH with i5 Haswell and 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD. Nice system and it came Windows 10 ready although it had 8.1 installed. I find it very different from my Windows 7 PC which I used for way too many years. Nice though after using Windows 8.1 for the 6 days before the upgrade, although to be honest I never really used the new PC until after the upgrade, now I have to say that Windows 10 might actually replace Windows 7 as "Best Of Breed" for Windows. What do you think ?
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 02:03:49 PM »
Hi Edgar,

Good to hear from you. I gather Win10 works far better that 8.0 8.1 but I keep hearing unhappy security issues about it, auto upgrades whether you like them or not, potential to disable software that is seen as pirated and the risk of commercial advertising directly from the OS, not just browser popups. My Win7 64 Ultimate works fine and as a retail version I can install it on a new machine so i am inclined to sit back and see how Win10 develops.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 02:42:38 PM »
There are quite a few issues with it but it is a new OS and has to  run on a few PCs before it can become completely stable. I had major issues with Media Player until I just decided it was easier to remove it than to fix it. I do find that many applications written for 8.1 tablet mode seem to have issues getting back to the desktop. I do like that the start menu is back, though I never really used 8.0 or 8.1 (except as virtual machines) because it was missing. Right now I'm having fun installing virtual machines since this is the first PC I've owned with the full set of virtualization instructions, I think the XP x64 machine runs faster in a virtual machine than it ever did on my old ACER box lol.

Nice to talk to you again Steve.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
One of the most telling things I've found with the virtual machines is that what was a high resolution screen in 2005 is sadly lacking today. I have set XP X64 to 1024x768 and it sits in a window of my 2560x1440 27 inch display. Not sure how I managed to open multiple windows at that resolution, it seems so tiny now.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

rrr314159

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »
Quote from: Donkey
... my 2560x1440 27 inch display ...

- I've got pixel envy  :( :P
I am NaN ;)

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Quote from: Donkey
... my 2560x1440 27 inch display ...

- I've got pixel envy  :( :P

Lol, this is the new PC:

https://www.asus.com/us/AllinOne_PCs/ET2702IGTH/

This is the new speaker system for it:

http://support.logitech.com/product/z5500-digital-51-speaker-system

I figured if I was going to finally upgrade from Windows 7 I might as well get a new PC at the same time.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
Hi Edgar,

Good to have you back :icon14:

Re Windows 10, I'll wait a couple of years. Win7-64 on my main machine works just fine, XP on an older laptop not connected to the Internet, too, and the family browses on Win 8.1 (which is awful, can't even play a DVD without external help).

Want to see what the "Windows 10 is spyware" debate will bring in the medium term. People are swallowing a lot of foul play nowadays, they are used to open their private secrets in f***book etc, but still, this permanent calling home may cost Microsoft a lot. I hope so, at least. Linux is at 1%, no chance, but Apple is waiting for a good moment to take over the desktop market. Prepare for a "no spyware" campaign ;-)

Jochen

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:22:21 PM »
Hi Jochen,

Nice to be back.

I'm not terribly worried about spyware, nothing really on my PCs that is sensitive. And there's always virtual machines if I want Windows 7 or XP. JUst getting around to setting them up tonight.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

rrr314159

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
hi Donkey,

Looks like a good choice. My old Asus notebook (Win 7) still works fine after years of very rough use ... more than I can say for Toshiba or Dell. I was happy with my Lenovo 8.1, 1920 x 1080, but maybe I'll move up to 2560 x 1440 (and better sound etc). After all you can't take it with you

Quote from: jj2007
Win 8.1 (which is awful, can't even play a DVD without external help).

- Interesting, apparently there are other drawbacks besides Metro! I've never tried to play a DVD, so didn't know that. Of course one can get a DVD player, but I can see why people would complain - it's a PITA, clearly a downgrade from 7. I wonder how many more "anti-features" there are. The search capability is the only significant difference I've noticed; 8 seems better than 7
I am NaN ;)

anta40

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »
Just upgraded from 7 to 10.

I noticed that some Windows built-in apps run slower than their 3rd parties counterpart, e.g:
- Photos vs IrfanView
- Movies & TV vs VLC

Disabling the built-in antivirus seems to make 10 runs faster.
No problem so far.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 01:38:12 AM »
I could be seduced by 4K video but the security issues will need to be sorted first, I run my Win7 64 Ultimate on default update and it nearly drives me mad, every week or so it want another 30 to 40 updates and it is set to when I turn the machine off. PITA when you turn it back on again and have to wait for all the upgrades to be installed.

If you did a clean install of XP SP3 and got it all working OK then you could completely turn off auto update and the machine would not suffer the stuffups that Microsoft added later. Disasters like InstallShield that stopped older software from being installed was one of the things you avoided by killing auto updates.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

anunitu

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 02:53:52 AM »
My Daughter got me a new system(HP) and with Win7...I like win7 a LOT,at first getting used to it was a little odd,but I really like it now. Remember I came from win2000 to Win7..and I run my system off a 32inch flat screen TV that as a computer mode. Because my eyes are not what they used to be,the large screen really help's with reading online things.

Magnum

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Vortex

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 04:31:50 AM »
Hi Edgar,

Welcome back. How is the secure boot configuration on your new computer? The UEFI system is very annoying. It's easy to install multiple operating systems when UEFI is turned off.

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »
Hi, I haven't tried to install multiple OSes, just virtual machines so I'm not sure. Haven't had any issues with secure boot or the UEFI bios as yet.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable