Author Topic: Hello friends ...  (Read 6584 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Hello friends ...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 07:33:42 AM »
Its funny how many folks here own musical instruments, my young brother left all of his in this house and that includes a 1971 Fender telecaster and a Hofner violin bodied bass, both still in pristine condition. I managed to get his old valve bass amplifier out of the house by giving it to a young fella down the road who like retro items. I own a copy of a Fender bass which works OK and a small practice amp that I bought off a girl who lived next door but the only decent instrument I own is a very good Flamenco guitar made in the early 1960s in Valencia in Spain.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
my mom actually found 2 violins at the goodwill for $10 each   :biggrin:

always wanted to try a violin - but have never made a scratch with it - lol
anyways - it was a good deal - both are completely functional - i talked her out of one of them
maybe, when i actually stop working, i'll play with it a bit

i took sax as a kid - not much time on it - the instructor was funny-looking
i couldn't stop laughing - and you can't blow a sax with a smile   :lol:

also messed with guitars and pianos a little bit, on my own

rrr314159

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 12:57:07 PM »
@nidud,

funny cartoon, I prefer Ibanez basses for dance music, like Katie Perry, Christine Aguilera, Lady Gaga etc, but for "real" music (1969 etc) only Fender will do

@jcfuller,

I've never even seen a Gibson acoustic 12-string, have an old (60's) J150, if you ever want to get rid of yours let me know ...

@hutch,

if u ever want to get rid of your "1971 Fender telecaster and a Hofner violin bodied bass ... in pristine condition" ship them here

Quote from: hutch
Its funny how many folks here own musical instruments

- not that strange, it's well known that music / math / chess ability - and we can throw programming into the mix - often go together (altho admittedly programming has a strong verbal component as well)
I am NaN ;)

Donkey

• ASS-embler
    • Donkey's Stable
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 02:06:03 PM »
(altho admittedly programming has a strong verbal component as well)

Yes, I tend to swear a lot when I'm trying to bulldoze my way through a COM interface.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

anta40

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »
@nidud,

funny cartoon, I prefer Ibanez basses for dance music, like Katie Perry, Christine Aguilera, Lady Gaga etc, but for "real" music (1969 etc) only Fender will do

So you also play bass? Cool. Many many years ago, I learnt to play contra bass for the kroncong orchestra in the high school. After hearing some singing bassists like Mark King, Geddy Lee,
and Chris Squire, I'm inspired to pick the bass up.
I assume the prior knowledge can be transferred relatively easy, hopefully.

And yes, I dig the Rick sound. Probably one among the best for rock.  :P

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 02:50:46 PM »
 :biggrin:

> Yes, I tend to swear a lot when I'm trying to bulldoze my way through a COM interface.

You can do even worse if you forget to take out your own personal error messages "Why did you do that you pkuking imbecile".  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

_japheth

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 12:38:28 AM »
may have been played by Jimi Hendrix, believe it or not. One just like it was stolen from a concert of his in Boston a few years before I

Megacool! May be worth a few hundred thousand bucks then. Better be careful  :biggrin:!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

_japheth

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 12:41:39 AM »
If you’re not planning on doing any coding maybe you could sign over some admin rights to the SF site to habran?

I have no plans - I guess I have lost the skills by now. habran ( or anyone else with serious interest ) is welcome.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

habran

• uasm
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 06:14:32 AM »
I don't believe that you are really yapheth
you are using a language which yapheth would never use
also, one programmer can never forget programming it is in they nature
yapheth was not eval, he was very intelligent and conservative person, and an excellent programmer   
prove me wrong

Cod-Father

nidud

• https://github.com/nidud/asmc
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 07:37:24 AM »
yapheth was not eval

:biggrin:

On reflection I will say he’s almost as evil-minded as me, or at least he used to be. Not the same as being evil thought.

prove me wrong

He uploaded source code for v2.12 a few hours ago, so there.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
..also, one programmer can never forget programming it is in they nature
I found that odd too.. as usual, time will tell  ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

rrr314159

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 04:27:52 AM »
Programming is not exactly like "riding a bicycle": you certainly can forget the details. But you can never forget "how to do it". If you lay off for a while it can take between a day to two weeks to get back up to speed. In Japheth's case, considering age and ability, it wouldn't take very long. So "forgot how to do it" translates to "has better things to do than get back into programming JWasm". Very understandable, there are many things that may be more attractive: blue strats, blonde women, red wine, coding that you get paid for, whatever ...

Quote from: anta40
After hearing some singing bassists like Mark King, Geddy Lee,
and Chris Squire, I'm inspired to pick the bass up.
I assume the prior knowledge can be transferred relatively easy, hopefully.

- I can't sing playing bass (or, lead guitar) - only rhythm guitar. Many people are like that, so if you can't do what Geddy Lee can do, you're not alone. "prior knowledge" - assume you mean, knowledge of (tenor) guitar transferring to bass. Certainly anyone who can play guitar can play bass - but they sound like "a guitar player playing bass" which is a bad thing. It took me about 10 years to become a real bass player. Hard to say what the difference is, it's a question of attitude as much as anything.

One advice I give kids, switching to bass: concentrate on the one note you're playing right now: make it the best note it can be. Then, do the same with the next one .. and the next ... Both hands are very important; the left must mute the other strings (or, sometimes, not); must fret the note firmly and correctly; provide vibrato as appropriate, etc. A note sounds very different where you play it; open A, for instance, very different than 5th fret on E string. The right hand depends whether you use a pick or fingers; good bass players must do both, but prefer fingers - more control. There are infinite ways to pluck that string, learn to hear the difference.

Although bass is simpler than guitar, loosely speaking, these details become more important. Each individual note is, all by itself, a challenge

Equipment is very important. 30 years ago I asked a great bass player why he sounded so much better - seemed to be doing the same as me, but still there was a big difference. He said, "spend $2000 for a good bass and bass amp".

My other favorite advice, listen to the band not yourself. This is good advice for any musician but especially bass, since he must "glue" the band together - he sits at the nexus of rhythm and melody. As far as you can, listen to the whole band and "forget" who's playing the bass - let it happen automatically (that's not entirely possible, but that's the attitude you want). You know you've got it when you play just one simple note - the audience doesn't even notice you, they're all looking at the singer or the guitarist - but you're happy anyway, because the whole band sounds good. And you especially know you've got it when the bass plays a good riff, and you think "hey that sounds good" - before you remember it's you playing it!
I am NaN ;)