News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Distribution of a masm program

Started by gelatine1, January 29, 2016, 02:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gelatine1

Hi, I have been writing a program in masm and now I would like to share it with a few other people. I have never actually done this so I was wondering, should I write an installer? can i be sure that my code will work on any other windows system ? What about antiviruses thinking my program has bad intentions ? (my own antivirus usually thinks my programs in masm are malicious.. even though they aren't).
So how do I go about installing a masm program ?

thanks in advance

Ps: i added the source files and the program (in case anyone is interested...) (beware quite messy source code)

Grincheux

I believe that you cannot make commercial use of your program but Huch will tell you more.

See this it's the licence.
Kenavo (Bye)
----------------------
Help me if you can, I'm feeling down...

Grincheux

Nice RubikCube.
The mouse is hidden while selecting the menu (windows 10 Pro)
Kenavo (Bye)
----------------------
Help me if you can, I'm feeling down...

gelatine1

I don't want to use it for commercial purposes. Just as a usefull tool for people. The program contains some more features which are 'hidden'. if the user presses enter a random configuration appears between start and end (or linear if selected). If a bool is checked inside the code (the edit bool) the user can change a color of the cube and save it to a file so it can be added to the configurations.

Right now I am having problems with antialiasing and I am not completely satisfied with the mouse input.

And i don't know why the mouse is being hidden in windows 10 (I have windows  7 myself)

Vortex

Hi gelatine1,

QuoteI have never actually done this so I was wondering, should I write an installer?

No need of an installer if your application is only one executable.

Quotecan i be sure that my code will work on any other windows system ?

To be sure, you need to test it on different versions of Windows.

QuoteWhat about antiviruses thinking my program has bad intentions ? (my own antivirus usually thinks my programs in masm are malicious.. even though they aren't).

You can instruct your antivirus to ignore the case - place the application to the exceptions list if it's possible.

gelatine1

Quote from: Vortex on January 29, 2016, 07:06:55 AM
QuoteWhat about antiviruses thinking my program has bad intentions ? (my own antivirus usually thinks my programs in masm are malicious.. even though they aren't).

You can instruct your antivirus to ignore the case - place the application to the exceptions list if it's possible.

Yes I can do that for myself but not for them.  I don't want people to think they downloaded a malicious program from me while it isn't. So I rather have something that asks the user "do you trust this application?" instead of antivirus shouting "danger!"

Vortex

QuoteSo I rather have something that asks the user "do you trust this application?"

Technically, one can never be 100% sure. You can also use a sandbox application to protect your system.

Siekmanski

Hi gelatine1,

When using the mouse nothing happens, only the keyboard works.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Windows 8.1
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

gelatine1

Quote from: Siekmanski on January 29, 2016, 07:30:50 AM
Hi gelatine1,

When using the mouse nothing happens, only the keyboard works.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Windows 8.1

Well using the mouse you should click on a certain square, keep the mouse pressed, move it to another square and release there (make sure the line between the two would represent a valid cube turn)? if this still doesn't work It's probably got to do something with the color picking maybe it's reading another alpha value somewhere or i don't know :/
I decided to give up on the ray picking i was trying before :p

Siekmanski

gelatine1

Could you see in odbg what the value of startalpha is right after clicking some of the green faces? It should be between 9 and 17. The source code for that should be around line 1000 in cube.asm or simply search WM_LBUTTONDOWN. If the alpha values are not being read correctly then its obviously not working because of that..

Otherwise you could try to remove the whole WM_MOUSEMOVE message code (if you have some spare time ofcourse). As that code could possibly be messing with the moved bool...

The mouse not working is obviously a big issue :S

Siekmanski

Can you post these missing files...

../glMacros/gl.mac ( gl.def line 1416 )
../glMacros/glu.mac ( glu.def line 250 )
..\macros\mymacro.asm ;macros  ( cube.asm line 26 )

hutch--

Hi gelatine1,

The only limit on code written in MASM32 is you cannot give it away to a different licencing system (GPL and similar). What you write is your own property, its up to you as to whether you supply the source code and you can sell it or give it away. The reason for the restriction on making code GPL is because nothing in the MASM32 SDK is owned by the GNU organisation so their rules of forced supply of code cannot be applied.

RE the executable file, make sure you supply a manifest with it and a resource based version control block. This will ensure that most AV scanners and the OS will not have any problems with it.

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on January 29, 2016, 01:39:12 PMRE the executable file, make sure you supply a manifest with it and a resource based version control block. This will ensure that most AV scanners and the OS will not have any problems with it.

Reason is obviously that virus writers do not know what a manifest and a VCB are 8)

gelatine1

Quote from: Siekmanski on January 29, 2016, 10:50:39 AM
Can you post these missing files...

../glMacros/gl.mac ( gl.def line 1416 )
../glMacros/glu.mac ( glu.def line 250 )
..\macros\mymacro.asm ;macros  ( cube.asm line 26 )

Sorry.... totally forgot about the macro's. new zip file with macros in attachment. thank you alot for trying to help.

Quote from: hutch-- on January 29, 2016, 01:39:12 PM
Hi gelatine1,
The only limit on code written in MASM32 is you cannot give it away to a different licencing system (GPL and similar).
I have basically no knowledge about licencing systems or whatsoever but I assume I can't do anything wrong by not doing anything at all..? (for this)

Quote from: hutch-- on January 29, 2016, 01:39:12 PM
RE the executable file, make sure you supply a manifest with it and a resource based version control block. This will ensure that most AV scanners and the OS will not have any problems with it.

Where could i find good information on those topics (how to create them)?

Thanks in advance