News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Self modifying code

Started by Siekmanski, February 27, 2016, 10:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

This is the problem as I see it, we all know Marinus and know that he writes sensible legal things but the risk is that it will attract people who write dangerous illegal things, usually with an anonymous nick name and no tracking data or viable email address and if the sh*t hits the fan, it lands in my lap, not theirs. It is unfortunate as there are many useful techniques to programmers that the idiot fringe have ruined but with a massive range of governments that are so stupid that they don't know the difference between high quality code and the idiot fringe I must ask Marinus not to post SMC code here.

Sad to say we have had to put up with a succession of these shifty little bastards over the years and in no instance am I willing to cover their arse for them.

Siekmanski

Thank you Hutch,

That this topic would attract people willing to use this technique to write dangerous code, I was aware of.
This was exactly the reason for asking first.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

KeepingRealBusy

Quote from: hutch-- on March 01, 2016, 05:24:10 PM
This is the problem as I see it, we all know Marinus and know that he writes sensible legal things but the risk is that it will attract people who write dangerous illegal things, usually with an anonymous nick name and no tracking data or viable email address and if the sh*t hits the fan, it lands in my lap, not theirs. It is unfortunate as there are many useful techniques to programmers that the idiot fringe have ruined but with a massive range of governments that are so stupid that they don't know the difference between high quality code and the idiot fringe I must ask Marinus not to post SMC code here.

Sad to say we have had to put up with a succession of these shifty little bastards over the years and in no instance am I willing to cover their arse for them.

Steve,

Seems to me that there was quite a bit of discussion in the old UK forum about SMC, I think primarily in the laboratory. Alex and I both talked about it there. Our use was to speed up execution of loops.

I tried to search the old forum, but only got 1 page of hits, none for Alex or me. How do you extend the range and number of pages of hits using the old forum search?

Dave.

hutch--

Dave,

Basically no, the reconstruction of the old forum was a very tedious exercise using ancient software that cannot be maintained due to its age and I have it locked down for security reasons because of its age. The other factor was there was data loss due to the size of the data base versus the account capacity in the old UK site so I save as much as I could and rebuilt it as an archive at the current site. I had to configure one of my previous XP machines as a WAMP server to do the reconstruction.

anunitu

I remember this being a thing back in the 64k memory days,and trying to cram more code in a small memory area. Then it got taken up by the nasty types and used for bad stuff. Self modifying code and a weird jump scheme doing dual code bites for different things.

BlueMR2

Quote from: anunitu on March 04, 2016, 07:43:38 AM
I remember this being a thing back in the 64k memory days,and trying to cram more code in a small memory area. Then it got taken up by the nasty types and used for bad stuff. Self modifying code and a weird jump scheme doing dual code bites for different things.

Yeah, I never really though of SMC as being a "pirate" thing.  It was considered a legit programming practice back when I was doing lots of home projects.  Of course, that was in the BBS days too!  :-)  Somewhat surprised and disappointed to hear it's only used by evildoers these days.  :-(
My Code Site
https://github.com/BrianKnoblauch