Author Topic: What sort of projects have been made in MASM32?  (Read 3608 times)

Lonewolff

What sort of projects have been made in MASM32?
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:45:57 PM »
Hey guys  :biggrin:

I'm interested to know what sort of projects people have made in MASM32.

Has anyone taken on any large scale projects like a game or anything like that?

I've been working on a game on and off for a year, and am intrigued with the thought of taking on the task in MASM for the 1337 factor.

Siekmanski

Re: What sort of projects have been made in MASM32?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »
Answer : 1,7,191,1337 :badgrin:

Lonewolff

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:13:33 AM »
Bingo!  :greenclp:

Raistlin

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
Wrote a complete GUI- client, server, maintenance back-ends, reporting platform & xml parser, integrated accounting package interfacing (Pastel)
in assembler for an exchange  company/bank reporting to the South African Reserve Bank a couple of years ago - all of it could
fit on less than a stiffy disk - graphics and all. Could navigate (slide-bar) through 4900 records (typical monthly invoicing load)
in less than a second on a crappy PIII, 256MB RAM. People (programmers and system developers/consultants) thought I was crazy...
but shut up quickly when they saw the performance. Was developed over 6 months - which was typical for the same project using
other programming development platforms.

So large projects can and should be done in assembler - I don't care what the critics say, I know it's do-able for any purpose.
(PS: I am skilled in  11 programming languages (mostly all dead languages now) - the only one that sticks around through all the decades is assembler)

<edit - yes I'am an assembler zeolot>

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »
Lately it seems that it is fashionable to make calls to virtual machines, which in turn call the operating system, with the loss of time and effort involved.

I think one of the big "problems" to write assembly code is that it can be fine-tuned almost to exhaustion, leading to significant loss of legibility. But the assembler could and should be as readable as any other.

It is not written in MASM, but I think a good example of a major project in assembler may be the MenuetOS operating system.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

BlueMR2

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 12:32:51 AM »
Has anyone taken on any large scale projects like a game or anything like that?

I've been working on a game on and off for a year, and am intrigued with the thought of taking on the task in MASM for the 1337 factor.

I started a game in MASM32...  Took awhile to get started just because of my lack of knowledge of the Win32 API.  Previous games had been in C on DOS.  If I knew the API better I think the level of effort would be comparable.  Asm vs. C isn't a big deal.  The Win32 API is more complex to deal with, but you can also offload more.

However, what I underestimated is how much time I have available once getting married.  Once I get done working, take care of the car and house repairs, household chores, well, there's no time left to do any coding.

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:27:45 AM »
Hostile Encounter :

http://oby.ro/rts/index.html

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »
Many people here have written their own editors in assembler, RichMasm in my case. Afaik qEditor is written in assembler, too.

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 07:55:34 PM »
By the way, here some small programs that I made using mainly asm. Some tiny games included.

Regards
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

BogdanOntanu

• Global Moderator
    • Solar_OS, Solar_Asm and HE RTS Game
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 03:39:57 AM »
Besides Hostile Encounter RTS game http://www.oby.ro/rts/index.html that Vortex kindly mentioned above,

I have also made in asm:
- Solar OS  - http://www.oby.ro/os/index.html
- Solar Assembler: http://www.oby.ro/sol_asm/index.html
- Sol_Ray a mini ray tracer test: http://www.oby.ro/sol_ray/files/sol_ray_2006_07_31_bin.zip

Others well known projects made in asm:
- RadAsm asm IDE (made in MASM)
- FASM assembler
- Menuet OS x32 and x64
- Kolibri OS (Menuet fork)
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy, www.oby.ro

Oliver Scantleberry

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 12:56:42 PM »
Wrote a complete GUI- client, server, maintenance back-ends, reporting platform & xml parser, integrated accounting package interfacing (Pastel)
in assembler for an exchange  company/bank reporting to the South African Reserve Bank a couple of years ago - all of it could
fit on less than a stiffy disk - graphics and all. Could navigate (slide-bar) through 4900 records (typical monthly invoicing load)
in less than a second on a crappy PIII, 256MB RAM. People (programmers and system developers/consultants) thought I was crazy...
but shut up quickly when they saw the performance. Was developed over 6 months - which was typical for the same project using
other programming development platforms.

So large projects can and should be done in assembler - I don't care what the critics say, I know it's do-able for any purpose.
(PS: I am skilled in  11 programming languages (mostly all dead languages now) - the only one that sticks around through all the decades is assembler)

<edit - yes I'am an assembler zeolot>

Actually, its assembly. Assembler is the program that processes the assembly code. Funny that you don't seem to know that.

Biterider

• ObjAsm32
    • ObjAsm32
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 04:14:49 PM »
Hi
Some time ago and together with some good friends of mine, using ObjAsm32 we wrote 3 projects:
  • Two modules for a well-known multinational 3D Software Design company
  • An effect synthesizer for a CGI animation company
  • A special cam math module for a Swiss/German engineering company (patent pending)
Biterider

Raistlin

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 04:08:14 PM »
@Oliver :
Code: [Select]
Actually, its assembly. Assembler is the program that processes the assembly code
Yes but there's only one MASM is'nt there <zeolot look>   :shock:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »
using ObjAsm32 we wrote 3 projects

Compliments, you confirm that assembler has its uses in really professional projects :t

(and I suspect that many video and audio codecs are written in assembler, too...)

EDIT: http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index - have a look at rank #12, it's the biggest winner this time!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:07:04 AM by jj2007 »

Raistlin

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 03:53:23 PM »
Code: [Select]
EDIT: http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index - have a look at rank #12, it's the biggest winner this time!
WOW! - thanks jj2007 - I'am definitely showing this to my students  :t