News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Streaming logs.

Started by xanatose, March 19, 2016, 01:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xanatose

I have a small program that writes a log file which I monitor once in a while. When I am at the server, or when using remote desktop, I have no problem, just open a command like and write "type mylog.log" or use baretail. No problem.

However I am sometimes without a good internet connection for remote desktop but good enough for FTP. So I tought I could use Filezilla for simply download the log at whatever byte count it had at the moment and later resume. Unfortunately this didn't work as FileZilla states that it cannot open the file.

So I wonder. What do other people use when they need to monitor a remote log once in a while. Something so simple to setup that even a Trumpbama supporter can do it in an hour or so.

fearless

try copy to another file name - depending on how the file is opened it might still be possible to copy it and then view it with your type command

copy mylog.log mylog.txt /y
type mylog.txt

put that into a viewlog.bat file perhaps? so you only need to type in the command console: viewlog

or once copied to another filename, filezilla should be able to open it and download it.

xanatose

Quote from: fearless on March 19, 2016, 04:20:19 AM
try copy to another file name - depending on how the file is opened it might still be possible to copy it and then view it with your type command

copy mylog.log mylog.txt /y
type mylog.txt

put that into a viewlog.bat file perhaps? so you only need to type in the command console: viewlog

or once copied to another filename, filezilla should be able to open it and download it.

A simple idea. I like it.
Just copy the file every X minutes using a batch file.

Thanks.