News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

New HJWasm release

Started by habran, May 17, 2016, 06:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnsa

Aren't the timings JJ provided run-time execution of the switch rather than compile-time related?

habran

Yes, that is what I want to be tested.
I think that maybe I have faster sorting routine in this one.
Cod-Father

jj2007

Quote from: habran on June 03, 2016, 09:33:15 PMCan you please test this build with the same sources you did with the last one to see if there is the difference in speed?

Hi Habran,
Build speed for MasmBasic library is very good, only 10% slower now than AsmC :t
Would be nice to flush the console after each assembly, though.

Quote from: johnsa on June 03, 2016, 10:34:51 PM
Aren't the timings JJ provided run-time execution of the switch rather than compile-time related?

Here is run-time execution of the switch:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Assembled with AsmC
20 ms   case 260, MB Switch_ table
193 ms  case 260, MB Switch_ chain
374 ms  case 260, Masm32 switch
5 ms    case 260, AsmC .Switch

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Assembled with HJWasm32
20 ms   case 260, MB Switch_ table
190 ms  case 260, MB Switch_ chain
374 ms  case 260, Masm32 switch
48 ms   case 260, HJWasm .Switch

And the size of the generated switch codes:
2989    bytes for MbTable
4840    bytes for MbChain
4799    bytes for Masm32
4201    bytes for asmc
5729    bytes for hjwasm

The AsmC .Switch is clearly fastest, while the MasmBasic Switch_ macro generates the smallest code for high case numbers (where it auto-selects the compact table version).

habran

Thanks JJ, it looks like former one is 2 ms faster :(
Cod-Father

Raistlin

So I downloaded HJWasm - and lo and behold - when I tried to email it to myself
Google (Gmail scanner) says it contains malware.....seeesh

So I know Habran would never include such - but what file could be the cause of the false positive ?
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

johnsa

There is definitely no malware in the archives.. I would assume its heuristic scanning possibly picks up that the exe generates code which it doesn't like (possibly based on an unfamiliar name or origin) or alternatively the fact that the archive contains asm files..
Is there anyway to get a more detailed report from the scan as to exactly what it's not happy with?

jj2007

If you are in doubt, upload the file to Jotti: nothing for HJWasm32. As johnsa wrote, the AV scanners use heuristics, and those are a PITA (Pain In The A**). As soon as they see something that was apparently not built with MSVC or GCC, they make racist remarks about assembler code being dangerous etc 8)

Btw we have a dedicated sub-forum for that: AV Software sh*t list

habran

New HJWasm uploaded on Terraspace with some more bug fixes in the .SWITCH block.
Cod-Father