News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

CPU over heat protection

Started by helix, April 16, 2016, 01:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helix

How to write a program to shut down the motherboard for CPU overheating protection?

jj2007

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa376871%28VS.85%29.aspx

helix

Thank you for jj2007!I don't need shut down the system.I need to shut down CPU overheating protection!Otherwise CPU overheating system will automatically shut down, so very upset!Who can write such a  program.

hutch--

You need to understand that this forum is not a free code writing facility and if such a program needs to be written, either you write it or it does not get written. Alternately you could try rent a coder. Now the things you can do yourself are things like ensuring the heat sink on your processor is not clogged up, if that does not work you may need a bigger heat sink and if you are overclocking the processor, you may need to drop the overclocking rate.

sinsi

>I need to shut down CPU overheating protection
Each motherboard/chipset does this differently, you should be able to change it in the BIOS.
Your motherboard disc should have a Windows utility to adjust those type of settings.

>Otherwise CPU overheating system will automatically shut down
As designed, else your CPU goes *sizzle*pop*

helix

Thank you hutch for reminding!I think this forum is a service to the public, and can provide us as a place for academic discussion!As for the program and the source code is just a way to solve the problem!jj2007 to provide C++ solution to the problem, but only the shut down system!Sinsi is correct,but my computer BIOS there is no CPU overheating protection this setting.

hutch--

You are missing a few things here, this forum is NOT a service to the public, its a forum of assembler language programmers, not a code ordering service.

Now the other is your assumption that temperature control is done in software which is nonsense. It is the processor that shuts down if it exceeds a temperature that will damage it and if you keep overheating the processor, you WILL damage it. What you are asking for does not make sense, your choices are EITHER reduce the load OR increase the cooling OR both.

helix

Using assembly to make changes is the purpose of my coming to this forum. Usually in the computer BIOS there is a temperature over heat protection control settings. BIOS have no overheating protection is still in the case of overheating protection, which caused the automatic shutdown. What is to be done is to use the program to screen overheating protection.

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on April 16, 2016, 05:27:30 PMIt is the processor that shuts down if it exceeds a temperature that will damage it

But it would be interesting to find a workaround: We provide the code, Helix does the test, and then we discuss the results here :icon14:

@Helix: Make sure you have a spare machine with access to the Internet, ok?

hutch--

:biggrin:

Best of luck trying to write BIOS code but don't expect anyone here to write it for you.

helix

Welcome everyone to participate in the discussion.I'll be responsible for code testing.Special note, the motherboard and CPU are no problem, do not have to entangled in the cooling and fan.The key point of the problem is how to shutdown overheating protection.

sinsi

Here's a starting point, look at the Intel documents for
14.7.4  Detection of Thermal Monitor and Software Controlled Clock Modulation Facilities

QuoteCritical Temperature Interrupt Enable (bit 4, R/W) — Enables the generation of an interrupt when the
Critical Temperature Detector has detected a critical thermal condition. The recommended response to this
condition is a system shutdown
. Bit 4 = 0 disables the interrupt; bit 4 = 1 enables the interrupt.

The OS controls access to that, you would need to write a driver.

helix

Not in the system to write drivers.Use only assembler to change Bios.

Adamanteus

This problem have solution : "cooler" - the name of mutex, after creating thread with "too heating" processor code.
As OS designed such, that program itself must know that about 1 MFLOP could overheat system, so temperature checking before run thread, and thread are quanta on allowed piece of code !

hutch--

This nonsense has gone on too long, a number of people who do know what they are talking about have told you its NOT a user level code task, it requires a driver that is tuned to both your motherboard and processor and drivers of this type are usually supplied by the motherboard vendor, not the OS.

This thread is closed.