Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

polink compatability

Started by KeepingRealBusy, August 04, 2012, 09:29:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeepingRealBusy

Quote from: jj2007 on August 08, 2012, 06:46:25 AM
Google for LNK1101. There is no easy solution other than using the old 6.14 linker that comes with Masm32.

My version is C:\...\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\mspdb80.dll, 193024 bytes of 7 Nov 2007 - and it doesn't work :(

JJ, my version from the Visual Studio 2008 is the same: 11/7/2007/ 9:AM 189 KB. Are you sure that the path is correct? Bring up a CMD prompt and type "path". You should see "C:\...\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\" in the path. The directory should be "Program Files" for XP, and "Program Files (x86)" for Windows 7

Dave

jj2007

Actually, I don't use paths; instead, I copy the dlls into \masm32\bin - and right now I tested it again, and it works fine with various assembler/linker combinations ::)

KeepingRealBusy

jj,

You can do that with some entities, but not mspdb80.dll. I tried to do that by copying it to my tools directory and got the "wrong version". You must use the path for this one.

Dave.

jj2007

Ok, thanks for the hint. Will try to remember it when the LNK1101 pops up the next time - right now I can't reproduce it. But I have seen it, dear friends from Redmond :icon_mrgreen:

KeepingRealBusy

JJ,

I searched for mspdb80.dll in the registry, not there. Then I searched for mspdb80.dll in explorer. I found two version, different sizes, in Visual Studio, apparently one is a 64 bit version and the other a 32 bit version, and guess which one is first - the wrong one.

When I execute I use a 32 bit .exe to kick off a 32 bit CMD window to execute the makeit.bat, so I have to have the 32 bit version.

Dave.

Ghandi

You can take the newer Link.exe and ancilliary files, put them into the MASM bin folder and use them just like older ML.exe/Link.exe.

The issues thrown about MSPDBxx.dll are caused when the copy is done incomplete, you need ALL of the files used. You can avoid this by not linking with debugging information but that is pointless, easier to just copy the right files the first time and be done with it.

I am currently preparing for work, otherwise i would compile a list of the files needed, i'm using ML.exe and Link.exe from Visual Studio 2010 so i can have a play with AVX code, not just relying on macros to insert bytes to accomplish it.

HR,
Ghandi

KeepingRealBusy

Ghandi,

Thank you for the reply. I will await your list.

I have ML and LINK working now, and have my PATH problem worked out. All seems to work correctly now, at least for 32 bit compiles. Now I need to dabble in 64 bit for a while. Wish me luck!

Many of my 32 bit executables (.exe's) I brought from my windows XP system will not run on Windows 7. I may have to go the route of a VM and install XP to really be satisfied.

Dave.