Author Topic: What Are Hackers Up to These Days ?  (Read 4924 times)

rrr314159

Re: What Are Hackers Up to These Days ?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 07:58:01 AM »
None of those references mentions ransomware. The most recent is 2014, I guess ransomware is very new. Sure it's hard to track down hackers, and there are many other problems. But my point was, in this case the victim must actually send the money somewhere, so it can be traced to the beneficiaries. You don't need computer experts to examine the victim's computer. For example consider kidnapping for ransom. The hardest part, for the criminal, is getting the money, and they're often caught that way. Anyway, those reports do make it clear what some of the difficulties are, for computer hacking crimes in general.
I am NaN ;)

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 05:53:25 AM »
Researchers Hack a Big Rig Truck To Hijack Its Accelerator and Brakes, Wired Magazine, Aug 2, 2016

...This, apparently,...has become my NEVER-ENDING quest to annoy the hell out of MASM Forum members,...:bgrin:
Zen

Siekmanski

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 07:01:58 AM »
This is cool but old news.  8)

It's easy to get access to the diagnostic communication port (OBD OBD2 CAN etc.) and then get the data or send commands to the cars computer.
Most of the protocols are available on the internet.
They are widely used by guys that build their own car computers reading rpm, speed, throttle position, mileage etc. and show this on a screen in their cars.

I know one guy who made his own car computer  :biggrin: http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=3767.0

mineiro

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »
I know one guy who made his own car computer  :biggrin: http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=3767.0
Well, well, well, I hear voices. I ask myself when these german guys will learn with brazilians.
The guy below build that computer in less than 3 minutes.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 10:36:26 AM »
The guy below build that computer in less than 3 minutes.

I've seen them doing that in under 2 minutes in Haiti! Besides, I doubt if the left mouse button works as expected in the picture your sent 8)

mineiro

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 10:09:17 PM »
 :lol: jj2007.
Their finger is on mouse wheel.
Of course, last generation computer. We are not able to see blue tooth because their lips are closed.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 03:20:55 AM »
This is just getting weirder and weirder,...

This article is actually kind of funny (vicious, but, funny):
Nigerian Scammers Infect Themselves With Own Malware, Revealing New Wire-Wire Fraud Scheme, IEEE Spectrum, Aug 4
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:50:29 AM by Zen »
Zen

anunitu

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »
You expected sanity from a bunch of bit twiddlers? Its the octal that really makes you nuts,the other bases are just a tease.

Also the close proximity to the actual bare bones of the chip causes brain damage...bare bones programming for the win..and the tumor.

As it was labeled the ninja programmer.

anunitu

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 10:46:05 AM »
Just caught this on the Google news.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/powerful-nsa-hacking-tools-have-been-revealed-online/2016/08/16/bce4f974-63c7-11e6-96c0-37533479f3f5_story.html

Powerful NSA hacking tools have been revealed online

Not sure what this entails,BUT it was listed in the business section of Google news.

A cache of hacking tools with code names such as Epicbanana, Buzzdirection and Egregiousblunder appeared mysteriously online over the weekend, setting the security world abuzz with speculation over whether the material was legitimate.

Raistlin

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
Code: [Select]
None of those references mentions ransomware.
A student that is interning at an IT consultancy - just reported this morning - that a client company's entire Accounting
system got AES encrypted. All encrypted files were renamed as an email address (Russian). Luckily they had a backup
strategy in-place  and was able to recover. But YES the threat of ransom-ware is real and imminent.

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 03:51:32 AM »
Zen

anunitu

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 07:22:09 AM »
In the story it seems the NSA hackers were careless. Kinda like being lax with Nukes ya know...I have read that the "Feds" hang out at the "Black hat" convention in Vegas,trying to recruit people.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:05 PM »
 :biggrin:

One of the things that made me laugh back in the days of IRC in the late 90s was a number of the "jurx" who pissed around with viruses disappearing for a week or so at a time after they trashed their own computers.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 08:37:57 AM »
HA,...Ha,...ha,...:bgrin:
...Ya know, that sounds like something I would do,...(HEY,...HEY !!! Just Kidding...)

There's more to the NSA story: How the NSA Snooped on Encrypted Internet Traffic for a Decade, Ars Technica, Aug 19, 2016
Zen