Author Topic: What Are Hackers Up to These Days ?  (Read 6083 times)

anunitu

Re: What Are Hackers Up to These Days ?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »
Grabs leaves and such,cause the NSA is peeping at me naked....

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 09:07:35 AM »
Zen

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »
ZEN .. sport.. pal.. I'm sure you need to relax a parsec or two...

You seem to be winding yourself up a few KHz or so, on every response.

Khe'... :t
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
Zen

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
Zen

rrr314159

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »
Schneier always has something interesting to say. But you have to remember his career and financial prospects are enhanced by attacks - and, the public's fear of attacks - on internet security. Ideal for him is: no significant attacks, but everybody thinks there are. That way 1) he gets hired to lecture and advise on security, and 2) it looks like he's doing a great job because no successful exploits occur. No matter how unbiased he tries to be, he can't help spinning the story to make it look as bad as possible. It's in his job description - you might say, in his DNA.

I don't mean to pick on him: all security people have a similar conflict of interest. If cops succeeded in locking up all the bad guys they'd be out of a job. Firemen have set fires (arson) so the City Council will buy them a nice new bright red fire truck. The Defense Dep't (i.e. the Offense Dep't) paints enemies as more dangerous than they really are. For instance, Saddam's WMDs, Assad's chemicals, Hitler's nukes were all vaporthreats. They're always in favor of the next war, whether it's good for the country or not: it's always good for their careers. Military men don't mind bullets and bombs, what really scares them is peace. Anti-Virus writers have often written the viruses themselves. Uncountable examples can be cited throughout history. Bottom line, "Cops need Robbers".

Schneier's super-threat against our mission-critical servers, from some unspecified large enemy nation intent on destroying the American way of life, probably has some reality to it. But undoubtedly he's exaggerating, spinning it for all it's worth.

Anyway - he says "What can we do about this? Nothing, really. We don't know where the attacks come from. The data I see suggests China ..." Well, here's the solution. You need an on/off switch for all data feeds coming from China. In fact, from anywhere outside the US. If the system were designed to enable this capability it wouldn't be too difficult. Assuming it's required for national security, the cost would be justified. Institute a 10-year plan to reorganize inputs to our system and isolate foreign data streams. Then put a big red on/off switch on them, and set it to "Off" in a national security crisis.

I don't expect emolument for this great advice; it's my duty as a concerned citizen. But if you want to send some money, so I can keep supplying top-quality internet security solutions, please PM.
I am NaN ;)

anunitu

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2016, 08:02:34 AM »
BUT really,is anyone surprised this happened at Yahoo ?

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 07:32:27 AM »
Here's an interesting hacking concept: The Internet of Things Goes Rogue, MIT Technology Review, Sept 30, 2016

WHY DO I KEEP POSTING THIS STUFF ???
Zen

rrr314159

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
WHY DO I KEEP POSTING THIS STUFF ???

I've always supposed your purpose is to spread fear, despondency and defeatism among the Earth population, making it easier for your Alien Robot Overlords to crush us when the Final Invasion Plans are put into operation. A brilliant, effective strategy. What other reason could there possibly be?
I am NaN ;)

anunitu

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
But we have the superior training programs generally called FPS. Every little kid is studied in the shoot to kill gaming platforms.

Also we are learned at spotting evil aliens.

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 08:16:08 AM »
Quote from: RRR314159
...I've always supposed your purpose is to spread fear, despondency and defeatism among the Earth population, making it easier for your Alien Robot Overlords to crush us when the Final Invasion Plans are put into operation. A brilliant, effective strategy. What other reason could there possibly be ?...

:bgrin: Dang,...you know me better than I know myself,...:bgrin: 
Reading your posts is like therapy,...salvation,...an enlightened escape from reality,...
Zen

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 03:48:58 PM »
anunitu,

I still own all 4 Doom CDs, used to have a 32 bit system to run any of them. I bought the first version of Doom on floppies.  :dazzled:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

anunitu

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 05:07:08 PM »
Doom was/is one of my all time favorites in gaming(still play from time to time when I am able) runs on Win7 using unleashed front end.

sinsi

I can walk on water but stagger on beer.