News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

windows update

Started by shankle, May 29, 2016, 08:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

When I re-installed win7 64 some months ago there was some massive number of updates required but auto update would crash part was through so eventually I did 25 at a time until they were all done. It was a pain but it worked. I turned off the AV scanner in Win10 as it used a gigabyte of win32 memory. Installed MalwareBytes as an on demand only AV scanner. The default on in win7 64 was reasonably well nehaved.

jj2007

By accident, I found an update some weeks ago on the web that fixed the hanging updater problem, apparently.

Still, it's a shame for Microsoft that the updater hangs there for half an hour at 0% showing no signs of life, and when it has finished hours later, and invites you to reboot, there is a dark screen complaining that one program prevents Windows from rebooting: Windows Updater. Redmond, are you all drunk over there???

During my holidays, I was forced to use a wireless connection. It took me hours to find out how - despite the fact that I knew from previous experiences that I had to activate my wireless device (it eats a lot of battery, so normally it's off). M$ offers "help" in various stages, but it's just sending you round in circles, and sometimes it even suggests me to use online help. Grazie, that's an extremely intelligent proposal when trying to find the wireless crap. Redmond, it's unbelievable what you are dumping on your clients - shame on you, folks :icon_mrgreen:

shankle

Thank you jj2007 for helping me.
A few days ago wiffies 32-bit windows 7 pro bit the dust.
I have a cd that required a previous version of windows. In my efforts
to reinstall windows I managed to lose the non working windows on her puter.
Of course any code I keyed in would not activate. So Microsoft AGAIN has rodded
me for a costly update. God help me I'm going to have to install Woondows 10.
Since her computer is 8 1/2 years old I am going to have one made with Woondows
10 on it. Sorry for the rant. :(

jj2007

Just for the record: Over 8 GB of disk space disappeared in two days for "updates". There are thieves in Redmond 8)

shankle

Just info - windows update grief.

Got a new puter with Windows 7 pro 64-bit on it and an ASUS mb.
I have windoze updates set to "download updates but let me choose
whether to install them". Well you can do this and wait until Hell
freezes over and nothing will happen. So I powered off and behold
224 updates were ready for me to download. This meant I was not
able to research each one. So The brave soul that I am, I gave the
go ahead :( Then my puter displayed a lovely red box with a nasty
message about my boot being corrupted :( So hoping for nothing
I went on the ASUS web site and found that "KB3133977"  was the
nasty culprit that did this to me. Solved but I don't like Microsofts
tactics. NEVER WINDOWS 10!!!!!! 

jj2007

Quote from: shankle on July 22, 2016, 11:30:10 PMNEVER WINDOWS 10!!!!!!

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/28/delivering-personalized-search-experiences-in-windows-10-through-cortana/
QuoteUnfortunately, as Windows 10 has grown in adoption and usage, we have seen some software programs circumvent the design of Windows 10 and redirect you to search providers that were not designed to work with Cortana. The result is a compromised experience that is less reliable and predictable. The continuity of these types of task completion scenarios is disrupted if Cortana can't depend on Bing as the search provider and Microsoft Edge as the browser. The only way we can confidently deliver this personalized, end-to-end search experience is through the integration of Cortana, Microsoft Edge and Bing – all designed to do more for you.

Starting today, to ensure we can deliver the integrated search experience designed for Windows 10, Microsoft Edge will be the only browser that will launch when you search from the Cortana box.
:eusa_boohoo:

rrr314159

Windows 10 isn't all that bad? I've had no particular trouble (no worse than normal M$ bs) for months. Of course I don't use Cortana. I also don't use many other features that others might use, so your mileage might certainly vary.
I am NaN ;)

Vortex

Integrating the updates to the Windows 7 installation files is solving the problem.

jj2007

Quote from: rrr314159 on July 23, 2016, 04:45:14 AM
Windows 10 isn't all that bad? I've had no particular trouble (no worse than normal M$ bs) for months. Of course I don't use Cortana. I also don't use many other features that others might use, so your mileage might certainly vary.

I installed it on the "family notebook" a while ago, and can confirm your view. No Cortana, of course. The OS works fine, as long as it doesn't show that AppCrap view, but after a while you know how to get back to the normal desktop.

I guess Redmond is really scared of losing the desktop market, too. I have no other explanation for their desperate and sick behaviour - how can a sane person write such a EULA, or trick users into downloading a new OS against their will?  :dazzled:

anunitu

Quote from: jj2007 on July 23, 2016, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: rrr314159 on July 23, 2016, 04:45:14 AM

I installed it on the "family notebook" a while ago, and can confirm your view. No Cortana, of course. The OS works fine, as long as it doesn't show that AppCrap view, but after a while you know how to get back to the normal desktop.

I guess Redmond is really scared of losing the desktop market, too. I have no other explanation for their desperate and sick behaviour - how can a sane person write such a EULA, or trick users into downloading a new OS against their will?  :dazzled:

MS,enough said...do you really think they need a reason,or have a PLAN?

sinsi

QuoteStarting today, to ensure we can deliver the integrated search experience designed for Windows 10, Microsoft Edge will be the only browser that will launch when you search from the Cortana box.
Starting today, to ensure we can deliver the integrated search experience designed for OSX, Apple Safari will be the only browser that will launch when you search from the Siri box.

shankle

I should really stop complaining as they are the only game(monopoly)
in town.
One wonders if their nonsense will stop July 1st???????

Vortex

Solution for the slow Windows 7upate problem :

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=5282.msg59428#msg59428

rrr314159

Quote from: shankle on July 24, 2016, 06:19:23 AM
I should really stop complaining as they are the only game(monopoly) in town.

Sadly there's a lot of truth to that. There is Apple, but for us masm-er's in particlular it's not a great option. But I still say Windows 10 isn't all that bad.

Quote from: shankleOne wonders if their nonsense will stop July 1st???????

No way
I am NaN ;)

Magnum

Quote from: shankle on May 31, 2016, 03:59:49 AM
Hi Hutch,
Evidently someone is smiling upon you. :biggrin:

Nice to see you with a good sense of humor.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org