Miscellaneous > The Orphanage

Fifty Years of BASIC

(1/5) > >>

jj2007:
Time magazine writes about Fifty Years of BASIC ::)

hutch--:
Interesting article. :)

mabdelouahab:
And Four Years of MasmBasic   :biggrin:

caballero:
Basic was my first programming language, exactly GW-BASIC. My father bought me an exciting pc xt 8088 with one floppy disk of 5"1/4 and 512 Kb ram with a 14" green phosphor screen. My first program was there, with number of lines

--- Code: ---10 for i = 0 to 16
20 for j = i to 16
30 print "*";
40 next j
50 print
60 next i

--- End code ---

I don't know any other language capable of write down a "hello world" like this:

--- Code: ---? "Hello world"
--- End code ---

When I tried to learn better basic programming always realized the need of learning assembler. What the f**ck really was those "PEEK/POKE"

My first video game Stardust

Basic never will die :t

jj2007:

--- Quote from: mabdelouahab on June 13, 2016, 04:37:51 PM ---And Four Years of MasmBasic   :biggrin:

--- End quote ---

Thanks for noting - actually, it's more than six years:
MasmBasic
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »

BTW I didn't like the article so much. It is superficial fishing in old archives. What I lack most is a serious discussion why Basic was pushed aside by C-based languages, including the famous rants of Mr Dijkstra. Given that we live today, decades after, in a World where Adobe informs us after each reboot that they finally solved their security problems in Flash (exploits based on buffer overruns etc), it is hilarious that they still quote Mr Dijkstra for having discovered that GOTOs should be avoided.

There are good reasons why professional programmers hate BASIC:

--- Quote from: avcaballero on June 13, 2016, 10:14:54 PM ---I don't know any other language capable of write down a "hello world" like this:

--- Code: ---? "Hello world"
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

And even that one is too complicated; it should be print "Hello world" - we aren't asking questions here, right? Or take this one:

--- Code: ---include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc
  Init
  Let esi="Hello World"
  Let esi=esi+", how are you?"
EndOfCode
--- End code ---

To do the same in C, you need professional advice (How to concatenate 2 strings in C?) - and that is why BASIC has always been a threat to the profession 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version