Author Topic: Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 11450 times)

Vortex

Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:45:57 AM »
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 05:20:44 AM by Vortex »

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:52:26 AM »
Windows 10 fully freezes after anniversary update

You don't have to read all the 900+ comments :bgrin:

There is also an official report from the Redmond folks: Windows 10 may freeze after installing the Anniversary Update

And it seems we are watching a historic moment: Windows is now community-based!
From users posting here and visiting the Microsoft Store, we have been able to collect log files...
the community has also reported a number of their own solutions...
Users have posted about their experiences and concerns and the community has helped , given direction...
encourage you to search for existing threads and share your experience and feedback...
Please know we are listening...

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 02:54:49 PM »
The auto update keeps adding more and more stuff but so far it all works OK. If it ain't broke, don't fix it makes sense here.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Idiots in Redmond
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »
I just wasted one hour on this problem. You start voice recorder, and it gives you a red error message: "You need to set up a microphone in Settings" ... no link to click, of course. It's only one of many, many situations where Windows sends you in circles, where "help" means just a waste of time because you know that if you click your way through the "assistant", you end up somewhere with the advice to consult Google, pardon: the Micros**t Community.

In the end, I found the solution. My OS is Italian, so the message is Italian - and no hit for that message. So I had to guess how it is called in English. And I found a page:

I wanted to use the sound recorder - of course that has been removed/renamed in Windows 10.

So instead, I try to access the Voice Recorder.  The app opens, but instead of a recorder, I get a message stating that "You need to set up a microphone in Settings"

OK, so what settings is this referring to?

If I right click on the speaker level icon in the tray, and select "Recording Devices", it shows that I have the laptop microphone selected as the "Default Device" in the Recording tab.

If I go to the control panel and click "Hardware and Sound -> Sound... I see the same settings as above.

So to what settings is this referring?

Don't use Google phrase search to find the solution. Give me an informed guess. Just a hint: It's not a hardware issue, all drivers working fine. Warning, the "solution" has nothing to do with what you wanted in first place: registering your own voice, and creating an audio file.

For all the useless extra work they create with this stupid OS, the whole management level of Micros**t should be thrown into jail, forever 8)

sinsi

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:54 PM »
Open Settings, search for microphone et voila!

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Idiots in Redmond
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »
Nope, Sinsi, I know that you must defend Microsoft, but that isn't the solution. It's just one of many places where Windows pretends to be helpful, where you see fantastic graphics, little circles moving slowly from left to right, reassuring you during several minutes that Windows is searching very hard for a solution that it will never find. It's CRAP, BULLS**T, fullstop. Windows fails miserably for simple tasks like connecting a microphone, connecting two Windows computers, finding the Internet, opening a video file, recognising that Bluetooth or WiFi are not activated, etc etc - the list is long, and I am now 60 years old, more than 30 years of computer experience, and I can tell you it's getting worse with every edition of Windoze. For each and every trivial task, your only hope is that among the hundred Million users there is one who found by accident the magic solution, and was kind enough to make it available to Google. I think you can safely postulate that the biggest single cause for Google's overwhelming success is the crappiness of Windoze.

P.S.: Right now I can hear my own voice because there is a connection between the built-in microphone and the speakers. No application is open, and "Settings" doesn't even know about microphones. Rolling back the hilarious "solution" for the problem above has no effect. I need a big hammer now 8)

What really makes me angry is that a) Bill Gates is rich instead of being in jail, and b) that there is no alternative to Windoze. Linux is worse, and Apple makes me iVomit.

sinsi

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:33 PM »
It's a privacy thing...proactive :biggrin:
Don't forget that we are all beta testers for Windows 10 and what we vote for is incorporated into the next update.
Microsoft have no clear vision of what Windows is, just a popularity contest for the next big bling-bling they add.
I'm privileged(?) to be an insider, so I might get updates every week, 3GB a pop.

I know that you must defend Microsoft
Sometimes. OK, most times. I dislike irrational dislikes. :icon_confused:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 10:19:12 PM »
It's a privacy thing...proactive :biggrin:

You used Google phrase search to find the page I posted above :eusa_naughty:

sinsi

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:28:32 PM »
It's an app, it uses Settings.
Using a Samsung "smartphone" you get used to allowing apps access to certain things.
At least Windows is a bit more finely grained, unlike a phone app - give me access to all the things!!

Privacy, this year's buzzword.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 12:27:10 AM »
It's an app, it uses Settings.

The error message "You need to set up a microphone in Settings" indicates that there is no microphone yet. The problem instead is that, for whatever strange reason, the global privacy setting is "don't allow anybody to use the microphone".

Privacy would mean "don't allow Windows to send the microphone's output to the NSA". It has nothing to do with the user's wish to use HIS microphone on HIS computer to store an audio recording on HIS harddisk.

Besides, if the developers of this "app" had an IQ above 80, the error message would be "Your privacy setting doesn't allow registering sounds, click here to change it".

The guys in Redmond have lost control over their pile of s**t ages ago.

anunitu

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 04:44:30 AM »
Hiding behind my "NEVER10" barricade I give the traditional raspberry salute  :eusa_naughty:

I have ALL updates turned off,and will if needed set the firewall to KILL.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
 :biggrin:

There is a simple solution to the NSA/KGB/MOSSAD/MI5/MI6 etc .... listening to the microphone on your computer, stick the microphone in front of a recording of Frank Sinatra (I did it myyyyyyyyyy Waaaaaaaaaay) in a short loop and leave it on indefinitely, they will eventually turn it off. You could also try Kylie, The Ayotollah Khomenei, Joe Biden, the last recorded policy speeches of Leonard Bresnev. I have a simple approach to the problem, I don't build computers with a microphone, really hard to listen in when there is nothing to listen to.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 01:45:26 AM »
Just to show that my rants are not limited to Microsoft: Firefox complains that its own "hotfix" add-on is incompatible with the newest version. Of course, the user has never knowingly installed this "add-on", and of course, clicking "check if a compatible version is available" ends up with no hits. How is Grandma supposed to deal with this message? Calling Grandson, who will tell her "ignore it"? Dumb 8)

P.S.: The endless Adobe Flash story is also proof of non-Microsoft incompetence. Oh, wait, I forgot that there is a reason behind the weekly promise that this update is safer and faster: They are updating their spyware! Have you noticed (if Firefox user) that there is often a message on top asking "Continue blocking flash?" even if you can't see any flash content on that page?? 8)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
Windows 7-64 was very sluggish this morning, so I googled for CompatTelRunner (the one that blocked my CPU and disk), and, while I didn't get any clear answers, I found this jewel showing how M$ makes money with our private data:

Win 10: the terrible CompatTelRunner is back!
==WHAT BLACKBIRD DOES==

> Disables OneDrive
> Disables Cortana
> Disables Bing-integration
> Disables Wi-Fi Sense
> Disables Windows/Office Telemetry on all Windows versions

> Disables Xbox Live services
> Disables web content evaluation / URL check-in ("SmartScreen")
> Disables Windows Media Online DRM
> Disables Windows P2P Update sharing
> Disables all application metric-data collection agents

> Disables all AutoLoggers
> Disables Start menu ads
> Disables Windows Error Reporting
> Disables Diagnostic Tracking / "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" service
> Disables WAP-push Message Routing service

> Prevents all location/contacts/handwritting/password sharing
> Prevents cross-device synchronization
> Prevents device meta-data collection
> Patches various data-leaks (IE/EDGE/Defender/Explorer/MRT)
> Removes Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)

> Removes your unique Ad-ID tracking token and disables further Windows advertising profiling
> Removes GWX and all Windows 10 Upgrade triggers, icons, messages and other nagging
> Removes Windows 10 Upgrade setup files on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1
> Removes a bunch of Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 telemetry updates
> Blocks 130+ different tracking/telemetry/ad servers (supports IPv6/IPv4, Wifi/Eth)

> bonus (some) Youtube, Skype, Facebook ads blocked

In case BlackBird looks attractive to you, read first Anyone using Blackbird?. Interesting that a certain f0dder is contributing to that thread 8)

The bad news: NSA and Google spying are not yet included in the list :(
The good news: No iSpying on Windows :icon_mrgreen:

Raistlin

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 03:50:35 PM »
Had a look at blackbird and must say - WOW - very nice tool. Thanks for posting this, truly.   :biggrin:
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...