Author Topic: Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 11449 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »
The stuff that I saw did not have screen, just a box of flashing lights, it was an IBM System 360 with TADA !!!! 64k of core storage !!!! There was wisdom in sending the hand written code to the punch card girls, not only were they good looking but made very few mistakes. I completely exorcised the old mainframe memories, played with a Z80 but hated them, my office computer was a HP 11c and it was not until 1990 that I had the life and time for IBM PCs as running a sole trader business did not leave you with much time to play.

Never stopped since, an engineering brain says "get the job done".  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

anunitu

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 03:56:07 PM »
And then today we have talking A.I.'s to sooth our troubled minds,and video games to sooth our violent moods with make believe mayhem. Or is it training to become players of "Enders game"?

GuruSR

• Assembler (6500, 68k, Intel), C(all), VB6, no .Net
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 11:29:54 PM »
The stuff that I saw did not have screen, just a box of flashing lights, it was an IBM System 360 with TADA !!!! 64k of core storage !!!! There was wisdom in sending the hand written code to the punch card girls, not only were they good looking but made very few mistakes. I completely exorcised the old mainframe memories, played with a Z80 but hated them, my office computer was a HP 11c and it was not until 1990 that I had the life and time for IBM PCs as running a sole trader business did not leave you with much time to play.

Never stopped since, an engineering brain says "get the job done".  :biggrin:

The punch card machine had no screen, the later machines we did get, did, well, they got in 2 and they were so tiny, well, in comparison to the punch card machine...   Wait, "punch card girls", where?  Any time we saw a girl in the comp-sci area, they were walking through it to get to somewhere else, never ever saw any girls in those classes back then.

Yes, the z80 was a "fun" thing to play with, though I did like making logic circuits down in the electronics lab for the heck of it, always have had an interest in logic, programming came next, but I still like the logic behind it.

GuruSR.
Learned 68k Motorola Asm instruction set in 30 minutes on the way to an Amiga Developer's Forum meeting.
Following week wrote a kernel level memory pool manager in 68k assembler for fun.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2016, 12:56:14 AM »
Ha ha, commerce did it differently, the "suits" pissed around with flow charts and they had a room of punch card operators, most of them young and good looking. The company was Readers Digest and they had just pent up big on the IBM System 360, the tape machines were massive with 12 inch reel to reel tape that probably did not hold as much data as a microSD card but the invoice printer was genuinely impressive, used to pelt 6 foot wide paper with printed invoices strait out the top, they had to slow it down.

I did my hardest programming on the HP 11c, all written on paper then meticulously entered in order with the button pad at the front. Used to use it for engineering calculations and designing motorcycle exhausts for 2 stroke engines. IBM pcs came in about 1990 for me and I sterilised all before it to learn it properly, MASM, BASIC and C all at the same time.
hutch at movsd dot com

rrr314159

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2016, 04:03:56 AM »
You can tell you're old when you talk about the past more than the future
I am NaN ;)

anunitu

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2016, 04:19:11 AM »
I remember it well,it was back in 65,and the living was easy,fish were jumping,and the cotton was high.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
 :biggrin:
> You can tell you're old when you talk about the past more than the future

I qualify for all of those, old, cantankerous, difficult, uncooperative and so on but there is a good reason to be connected to the past, I have made many phukupz in my time but rarely ever the same one twice. Those disconnected to their past make the same mistakes over and over again.

anunitu,

Was it summer time as well ?  :P
hutch at movsd dot com

rrr314159

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
I remember it well,it was back in 65,and the living was easy,fish were jumping,and the cotton was high.

those were definitely the days

Those disconnected to their past make the same mistakes over and over again.

those who disconnect the past are doomed to repeat it
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »
 :biggrin:
Quote from: hutch-- on November 01, 2016, 10:34:09 AM
Those disconnected to their past make the same mistakes over and over again.

those who disconnect the past are doomed to repeat it
Is this simply a tautology or is there some esoteric addition that mere mortals were not supposed to understand ?
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 05:32:35 PM »
Old foggeys remember and talk about the way way back a lot,walking to school uphill both ways through a blizzard and a flood while playing kick the can with a real steel can,not a cheap aluminum can. Oh,and having a dog named ol' yeller,and killing a Bear when they were only 3...Davy,davy Crockett,king of the wild STORYYYYYYY

rrr314159

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
In a bio for a band promo package I wrote "my first electric guitar was steam-powered". Most people got the joke but some of the kids didn't know what "steam power" was

@hutch, it's a paraphrase of George Santayana, a philosopher from the last century. Google him, you'll see what I mean
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 07:40:22 PM »
Somewhere I have heard this logic before,

If pigs could fly and the moon is made of swiss cheese then
the rain in Spain falls mainly in the plane.
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 08:27:57 PM »
Gentlemen.all your base are belong to us....

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
anunitu,

You must be old if you remember that one.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »
You have no idea Hutch..I remember the first lone ranger episode,on the used Motorola tv we got. 

This one.