Author Topic: Hello, from the FASM world.  (Read 2682 times)

johnfound

Hello, from the FASM world.
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »
Hi, all.

Recently I decided to check the existing assembly language forums and to register there in order to contact with other asm developers and to see how the assembly language movement develops. :)

Some of you should know me from the asmcommunity and FASM forum. All my projects are in FASM, but assembly language is an assembly language, so communicating we can get some good ideas from each other.

Recently, I am working slowly on the Fresh IDE project and mainly on its portable library FreshLib that allows writing of programs that can be compiled for several OSes from the same source. The most of the Library is actually ready and I use it for different projects in production. Only the GUI part remains to be done.

If someone is interested, here is the topic with screenshots and download demos: https://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=18571

Another of my projects is AsmBB - a high performance, web bulletin board (forum) engine, written in assembly language (also with FreshLib). It uses FastCGI interface in order to be very fast and well scalable.

The demo of the engine is installed on: http://board.asm32.info and the source is in the repository: http://asm32.info/fossil/repo/asmbb

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Hello, from the FASM world.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »
Hi John,

Welcome on board. Good to see the FASM folks alive and well.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 06:18:27 PM »
Hello ,  John

Some time ago  I've visited Fresh IDE home page . Nice and creative design which feels really fresh  :t

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »
FreshLib that allows writing of programs that can be compiled for several OSes from the same source

Sounds good :t

Here, rrr314159 has worked on macros that allow assembling as 32- and 64-bit code. I've picked up the idea and call it Dual Assembly.

Hutch is also working heavily on making 64-bit assembly as easy as Masm32, check here.

So, yes, there are lots of projects in the assembly scene. Good to see you here :icon14:

mineiro

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 08:03:29 AM »
hello sir johnfound
welcome to board
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 05:56:43 AM »
Fresh.. starts a network link which sits there 'listening'... why ? :icon_eek:

A network link without user permission is arrogance that we see all to often in the current world.  :icon13:
I suggest the installation actually ask user permission before going onto the net  ::)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

johnfound

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 07:14:52 AM »
Fresh.. starts a network link which sits there 'listening'... why ? :icon_eek:

A network link without user permission is arrogance that we see all to often in the current world.  :icon13:
I suggest the installation actually ask user permission before going onto the net  ::)

This open port is bound only to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) and never to the external world. It is the help system of the IDE - it uses the configured web browser and embeded web server in order to provide flexible, configurable context help system.

The source code that binds the port can be browsed here: https://fresh.flatassembler.net/fossil/repo/fresh/artifact/549b000639307af73967061dfa251750be5ed9d8?txt=1&ln=86..105
You can see, that the IP address of the web server is hardcoded.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 07:25:19 AM »
Still unacceptable.. compile the helpfile into a downloadable htm/pdf/etc format.. like Easycode's local helpfile.
Network helpfiles are susceptible to 'anomalies;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

johnfound

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 07:31:32 AM »
Still unacceptable.. compile the helpfile into a downloadable htm/pdf/etc format.. like Easycode's local helpfile.
Network helpfiles are susceptible to 'anomalies;)

The embeded web server gives access only to the offline help files. The system can access Internet for searching help, but only if configured by the user: "Options|IDE options|Other options|Help and documentation". Also the user can add its own trusted files to the library.

BTW, you can read short description of the help system by pressing Ctrl+F1 (Help|Help file) and choosing the document "Fresh IDE - tips and tricks".

P.S. BTW, the help system support markdown formatted help files and these are pretty secure IMHO.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
The Microsoft VS help viewer uses Localhost, too. So I wouldn't immediately shout foul here. However, a bit more transparency wouldn't hurt, especially since you are not a long time member here. My own editor can use the Help Library Agent, too, and it does much more suspicious things, such as pulling JWasm if it's missing; but 1. it does ask for permission, and 2. I've been around for ages, and a certain amount of trust has been built in this community...

johnfound

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 02:54:30 PM »
The Microsoft VS help viewer uses Localhost, too. So I wouldn't immediately shout foul here. However, a bit more transparency wouldn't hurt, especially since you are not a long time member here. My own editor can use the Help Library Agent, too, and it does much more suspicious things, such as pulling JWasm if it's missing; but 1. it does ask for permission, and 2. I've been around for ages, and a certain amount of trust has been built in this community...

If I needed to download files from Internet, I would ask for permission too. But this is not the case. Anyway, Fresh IDE is useless for MASM programmers, because it works only with FASM compiler. It can be used only as a source of ideas (positive or negative ;)). It is very old project and is known in the FASM community.

Unfortunately, the different assembly language communities are so isolated from each other these days. Particularly, the shut down of http://asmcommunity.net was really a tragedy in this regard.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 04:43:24 PM »
You are always welcome here John.  :t
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 06:27:39 PM »
Fresh IDE is useless for MASM programmers, because it works only with FASM compiler. It can be used only as a source of ideas (positive or negative ;)).

John,

I've been several times on that page but no luck: It always redirects me to https://fresh.flatassembler.net/index.cgi?page=content/2_download.txt

No download link??

TWell

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 06:40:41 PM »
In that page is link Download ZIP archive
and for setup exe too.

johnfound

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »
Fresh IDE is useless for MASM programmers, because it works only with FASM compiler. It can be used only as a source of ideas (positive or negative ;)).

John,

I've been several times on that page but no luck: It always redirects me to https://fresh.flatassembler.net/index.cgi?page=content/2_download.txt

No download link??

Hm, can you give some detailed description of the problem.

In fact that is exactly the download page of the project. There are exactly 3 direct download links, two for the "official release" and one for installation of the latest bleeding edge version from the repository:

1. Setup.exe installation file for Windows (not changing the registry. uninstall by deletion the folder).
2. ZIP package for manual installation. (Simply unpack in in preferred directory)
3. A Linux bash script "bleading_edge_fresh.sh" that downloads the latest (non-official) version from the repository, compiles it and installs Fresh IDE.

So, if you don't see these links, it is a bug on the web site and need to be fixed.