Started by nidud, February 03, 2016, 01:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

habran

Sir mineiro,
67h is a prefix for 32 bite, as you can see it uses eip instead of rip
Can you post your source code you are using please
Cod-Father

qWord

I guess the problem is the definition of OP_RIP, which cause memory_operand() to set CodeInfo->prefix.adrsiz = TRUE.
There is also a bug in set_rm_sib() that allows to use index registers in (explicit) RIP-relative addresses (e.g. mov eax,[rip+rax*2]).

BTW: comments like "//ADDED BY HABRAN" are not really useful ;)
BTW2: floating point literals as operands were already implemented in JWasm (Issue #22)
MREAL macros - when you need floating point arithmetic while assembling!

mineiro

source code sir
.x64
.code
public _start
_start:
mov al,byte ptr [rip+8]
mov ax,word ptr [rip+0]
mov eax,dword ptr [rip+0]
mov rax,qword ptr [rip+8]
end

command line:
hjwasm -10 -nologo -elf64 -Fo=quiz.o quiz.hjwasm

--edited-- Added other example, maybe can help a bit
.x64
.code
public _start
_start:
lea rbx, [rip] ; RBX now points to the next instruction
nop
cmp byte ptr [rbx], 90h ; Should be equal!

;0000000000000000 <_start>:
;   0:   67 48 8d 1d 00 00 00    lea    rbx,[eip+0x0]        # 8 <_start+0x8>
;   7:   00
;   8:   90                      nop
;   9:   80 3b 90                cmp    BYTE PTR [rbx],0x90

This is as source used and disassembled code
#command line: as -o quiz.o quiz.asm
.intel_syntax noprefix
.text
.global _start

_start:
lea rbx, [rip] # RBX now points to the next instruction
nop
cmp byte ptr [rbx], 0x90 # Should be equal!

#0000000000000000 <_start>:
#   0:   48 8d 1d 00 00 00 00    lea    rbx,[rip+0x0]        # 7 <_start+0x7>
#   7:   90                      nop
#   8:   80 3b 90                cmp    BYTE PTR [rbx],0x90
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

habran

Thanks mineiro, it looks like RIP instruction is creating 32 bite code, that is probably unwanted byproduct while implementing EVEX instructions.
At this moment I am focused on implementing VECTORCALL in hjwasm, as soon as I finish it I will rework RIP relative instructions.

qWORD, "//ADDED BY HABRAN" was an atavism from the time while I was working parallel wit Japheth on JWasm
It is still useful sometimes because it shows me where I have changed existing code.
If that bothers you, I apologize for inconvenience. 
Cod-Father

qWord

Changing the definition of OP_RIP to OP_R64 in operands.h and OP_RSPEC to OP_RIP in special.h seems to solve the problem...
MREAL macros - when you need floating point arithmetic while assembling!

habran

Thanks qWORD :t
That fixes the problem indeed :biggrin:
It will be changed in next release.
Anyway, we will recheck all possible RIP-relative instruction formats
Cod-Father

johnsa

Quote from: qWord on July 09, 2016, 01:45:16 AM
I guess the problem is the definition of OP_RIP, which cause memory_operand() to set CodeInfo->prefix.adrsiz = TRUE.
There is also a bug in set_rm_sib() that allows to use index registers in (explicit) RIP-relative addresses (e.g. mov eax,[rip+rax*2]).

BTW2: floating point literals as operands were already implemented in JWasm (Issue #22)

With regards to the BTW2, the floating point literal changes we're making are:

ability to use floating point literals in invoke without need macros like FP4, FP8 and ability to use them directly with fp and simd instructions where a memory address is expected (will produce a warning that you can switch off)
so that you can do:
vmovss xmm0,2.3

and if you happen to use 2.3 again later hjwasm will re-use the same anonymous variable (unlike fp4/fp8 macros)..

At present invoke will generate the following if you use a direct floating point literal:
000000013F599188 B8 00 00 80 3F       mov         eax,3F800000h 
000000013F59918D 66 0F 6E C0          movd        xmm0,eax

which I personally think would be better as the above anonymous variable, one less instruction in the generation of the invoke and possible re-use of the literal value.

johnsa

Quote from: johnsa on July 09, 2016, 07:18:42 PM
Quote from: qWord on July 09, 2016, 01:45:16 AM

With regards to the BTW2, the floating point literal changes we're making are:

ability to use floating point literals in invoke without need macros like FP4, FP8 and ability to use them directly with fp and simd instructions where a memory address is expected (will produce a warning that you can switch off)
so that you can do:
vmovss xmm0,2.3

and if you happen to use 2.3 again later hjwasm will re-use the same anonymous variable (unlike fp4/fp8 macros)..

At present invoke will generate the following if you use a direct floating point literal:
000000013F599188 B8 00 00 80 3F       mov         eax,3F800000h 
000000013F59918D 66 0F 6E C0          movd        xmm0,eax

which I personally think would be better as the above anonymous variable, one less instruction in the generation of the invoke and possible re-use of the literal value.

Just in case anyone was interested what happened here, after a bunch of performance profiling I decided not to change this as the mov eax/movd combination was considerably faster than memory read, so it remained as is.