Author Topic: Did the man really land the moon?  (Read 6036 times)

Siekmanski

Re: Did the man really land the moon?
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2016, 08:17:30 PM »
Hutch,
At school we used a 2 mm cutter with a 90 degree angle on a rigid slider with a total width of 34 mm.
So we had only 5 a 6 mm workspace inside the cylinder, just enough to do the rough cutting for the 2 extra booster ports.
At home I used a flexible cable with an 90 degree angle head to finish the ports.
Ruined a lot of cylinders and never got more than 10 hp. ( van veen kreidler had 18 hp )

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2016, 12:24:23 AM »
I just looked up the model and its an interesting item, side carburetor says its a rotary disk intake, water cooled barrel and head and a decent squish band combustion chamber. Seems to have been a lot of bits available until the restrictions came in and ruined it. Restrictions came in through 1975 here in OZ, Australian Design Rules crippled the obvious stuff so you tweaked the guts of the 2 stroke engines I worked on. Hard to calculate the top speed, the 350 Yamahas I modified would pull about 10500 in 6th gear with the speedo needle reading the M in Yamaha after it ran off the end of the calibrations. Added bonus that when you went that fast, it used to set the mufflers on fire which cleaned them out.  :biggrin:

Later I got a 750 3 cylinder Kawasaki 2 stroke and after doing the barrels and getting the 3 pipes made, you could play Star Wars with it. Engine had too much grunt for the frame and it was very bad mannered trying to accelerate out of corners so you waited until it was upright against before twisting the handle again.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Siekmanski

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2016, 07:11:06 AM »
The kreidlers we had were normal street mopeds restricted to 40 km/h. But nearly no one kept his moped original.
In the late 70's you could buy 6.25 hp cylinders and with an 18 mm carburetor you could drive 85 km/h.

My "illegal" bike had an expansion pipe based on the calculations of "van veen" but for 12.000 rpm and a 26 mm carburetor.
The cylinder had a piston controled intake and 2 extra booster ports feeded thru 2 holes in the piston.
For a rotary disk you needed another gear box. That was much to expensive for us young lads.
Electronic ignition was also much to expensive for us. 10 hp and 100-110 real km/h was the maximum for my kreidler.

In Holland there are still a lot of the old kreidlers. Now they have read valve intakes, 7 booster ports, 3 exhaust ports ( 1 big and 2 small ones on the side ), CDI ignition with programmable curves, bigbore cylinders. Some of those kreidlers have 25+ hp.

This is the type of kreidler I owned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt3E8cyIw4k

Here's a movie of a 20.4 hp 70 cc kreidler RS by a tuner also named Marinus.  :biggrin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmSmEvszBqE

At the age of 18 I bought a 4 year old 3 cylinder Suzuki GT 750 two stroke 70 hp street bike. Tuned the bike to 112 hp, 3 expansion pipes and bigger carburetors, new port timings and extra booster ports.
It had a to small power band for street use so after 1 year I sold the bike.
Now I own a KTM 990 supermoto for normal street use.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2016, 09:54:36 AM »
I liked the video of the model you played with as a kid. Interesting that you owned the Suzuki as I had a friend who own the same model if its the one I think, water cooled triple that were commonly called "waterbottles" out here. They were a good long distance bike, my friend used to ride it long distances, Sydney to Brisbane as his parents lived up in Queensland.

Funny story, he and I both rode 350 Yamahas up to Brisbane and while we were refueling up near the Queensland border at a country gas station we could hear this incredible noise coming up from the south. A guy on a Kawasaki 750 with luggage, girlfriend on the back doing well over 200k went past and disappeared. I was convinced but they had become very rare as many had been crashed and it was only years later that a mate of mine was racing in a class called "Post Classic" that I bought one from him that was a year too late for the racing class.

Spent a few months rebuilding the engine on a chair in my office and doing the gear undercut mods on the gearbox, ported the barrels, shimmed the gearbox properly and got it going again. It was that loud it hurt your head so I rubber bunged the finning and got my friend to make a set of pipes for me that had very large mufflers and it shut it up enough so it did not make your head ache.

The KTM looks like an interesting bike, long travel suspension says its a hybrid on and off road, should be a ton of fun to ride.  :t
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Siekmanski

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2016, 11:23:09 AM »
Yeah, the Suzuki had water cooled cylinders and very loud expansion exhaust pipes.  8)
I'm very happy with my KTM, it drives well on the highway and is super fun to ride in the city.
No tuning needed for this bike, it's perfect as it is.  :biggrin:

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2016, 12:37:03 AM »
I recall reading an article in Cycle magazine, I think, where the 750 Suzuki's running at Daytona had a problem with wearing out the rear tire much too fast. Too much power transferred through too small of a contact patch.
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.