Author Topic: Shoveling sewerage MS style.  (Read 4090 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Shoveling sewerage MS style.
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:45:54 PM »
I though it may be worth it trying to get a later set of binaries so first I downloaded VS Community which was as slow as a wet week, only to find it did not contain any useful tool. Next try was to download the ISO of the professional version (4.7 gig) and when I tried to run the install, something was broken on it and it would not work. Next was to try again with the download instead which eventually completed and got the tool for the current version but almost no libraries and include files. Ran the SDK download from the ISO and got what was supposed to be the matching SDK for Visual Studio 14 but still very few libraries and includes.

Its hard to escape the conclusion that MS are standing in IT again. It would be an insult to the oldest profession to say it was run like a house of ill repute. I wonder what happened to MS, once long ago they were smart, fast and well organised.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Shoveling sewerage MS style.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:29 PM »
first I downloaded VS Community which was as slow as a wet week

Hey, why didn't you post five minutes earlier?? I am just downloading that crap ::)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:51:59 PM »
 :biggrin:

Well, look on the bright side, if you work out the right download you only get a mountain of crap with it instead of a universe of crap.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
The good news is I managed to install VS community, only 7GB 12GB lost, no error messages :t

And here's the bad news:
Code: [Select]
An error occurred when running the wizard that prevents it from continuing.
Your installation of Visual Studio may need to be repaired.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80041FE2

It's just an exception, no worries, it happens to me every time I put an int 3 somewhere. And Redmond has been working on it like crazy since Thursday, September 17, 2015 10:08 AM: An error occurred when running the wizard... :eusa_clap:

The M$ guy on that "social msdn" page recommends this link:
I have repaired it, totally installed it and tried on couple of my friends installation all of them have the same issue. So this is a definite BUG in VS2010

Where another M$ person replies:
It is a known issue in VC++ 2010. Please check this related thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/vcgeneral/thread/e1958f25-a38a-48a0-afea-62d153945e8c

Where another M$ person replies:
This is indeed a product bug. I have verified that even on VSTS, this problem still exist.

Hmmm... that was Thursday, April 29, 2010, so I need to correct myself: Redmond has been working on it like crazy since Thursday, April 29, 2010 8)

P.S.: There is CrippleWare 14.0 in the package, see temporary attachment. It offers brandnew error messages, unfortunately garbled (apparently it's not compatible with CrippleWare 10.0):
Code: [Select]
*** Assemble using \masm32\bin\ml64 /c /Zp8  /Fo "SkelDualGUI" tmp_file.asm ***
 Assembling: tmp_file.asm
** 64-bit assembly **
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(352)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(352) : error A2013:.MODEL must precede this di5\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(353)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(353) : error A2034:must be in segmen5\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(354)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(354) : error A2013:.MODEL must precede this dien5\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(355)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(355) : error A2034:must be in segmen5\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(356)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(356) : error A2034:must be in segmen5\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(357)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(357) : error A2013:.MODEL must precede this di5\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(721)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(721) : error A2119:language type must be sp\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(722)ed size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(722) : error A2119:language type must be sp\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1437)ied size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1437) : error A2013:.MODEL must precede this d\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1438)ied size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1438) : error A2034:must be in segment bror A2013:.MODEL must precede this d\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1439)ied size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1439) : error A2034:must be in segmet precede this d\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1440)ied size
\Masm32\MasmBasic\Res\JBasic.inc(1440) : fatal error A1010:unmatched blogmet precede this dMicrosoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 14.00.24210.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

P.P.S:
VS Community which was as slow as a wet week

That's the understatement of the year ... it's incredibly slow! See also Is Visual Studio Community A Joke?
was happy to see a free version of visual studio 2015. But... whenever I start the program the only thing I'm getting is a whole lot of script errors and the same bunch of unwanted advertising. Whenever I get through that stuff and finally a window opens asking me what type of project I'm willing to create; the program will block in the process of creating the project. So is this free project a joke for showing advertising or is it something I can use? For me I think by now a multinational like Microsoft can indeed...
Nope, they can't :( (if you plan to use it, check the 450,000+ Google hits for "visual studio" community slow)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:15:25 AM by jj2007 »

rrr314159

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 04:23:31 AM »
I don't know if you're doing this just to get some ml-related includes, libraries, and exe's, or to have a working VS installation? If the former, if the installation ran a long time before the error you probably already have the files you want. I once went through the installation with errors a couple of times, finally gave up, VS wouldn't work. But then found all the files I cared about on my disk, in good working order.
I am NaN ;)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:01:44 AM »
I wanted a working VS installation, and compile via the commandline. The IDE works, but cl.exe is hidden somewhere. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\cl.exe is normally NOT being used by the IDE; it is actually

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\cl.exe

If that version is not available, VS takes C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\cl.exe instead.

Read the comments under Setup Changes in Visual Studio 2015 to get an idea how furious developers are.

caballero

• abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 05:32:49 AM »
I do not quite understand well why MS abandoned 16-bit programmers, soon with with 32-bits. Decades of good programming and wit thrown overboard. I imagine that only for eliminating maintenance costs.

Some time ago they embarked on a struggle for the smartphones, lost in advance with Nokia abandoned to their fate.

In the field of video game station it seems to take the same path. The Xbox falls and playstation wins. In my case I prefer the second, I do not want that anybody come into my system to change or do whatever they want.

With the operating system, I imagine they struggling to unify all systems, making OSs as W8. It seems that users do not like much with unwanted installations.

In my opinion, MS products are very good, not its marketing policy. Maybe if they tried to save less, focus on something, not invading the user systems, etc will get greater benefits.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

- There are 10 kind of people: those who know binary numbers and those who don't -

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »
What !!?? You guys can't come up with $1,200 for a World-Class Compiler (is there anything better) ???
Visual Studio Professional with MSDN 2015
Welcome to Visual Studio 2015, MSDN
Zen

anunitu

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:06:52 AM »
You might want to use Universal Extractor to open those install files,rather than run them. Works on many installers(a few will not open) but better than doing an installer that "Might" blow chunks.
Link here.
http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

There is a portable version as well.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 04:56:07 AM »
Nice.. I love portables  :t
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 02:05:45 PM »
I wonder what happened to MS, once long ago they were smart, fast and well organised.

They apparently ran out of qualified and willing leaders.

The thing that really has me bugged is their apparent "one version of Windows for everything" approach, and the IMO idotic compromises being made to accommodate it. I don't have any relevant statistics, but I would be willing to bet that most of the actual work (i.e. the stuff by which people and businesses make money) is still being performed on desktop PCs, where the input devices are a keyboard and a mouse, with large, and frequently multiple, displays and no touch devices. While some people do use touch devices for work, most of them are involved in some form of recreation, where the people making money from the devices are not the ones using the devices.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:45:33 PM by MichaelW »
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »
Try 3 this time and may have hit the jackpot. Downloaded the Enterprise version setting the options so I had some chance of actually getting what I was after, the binaries, includes and libraries as well as the matching SDK. To install it my drive C: I lost another 13 or 14 gig of disk space and while it is still a mountain of chyte, it looks like the stuff I was after is actually there. To find the libraries was a careful search and found the normal API based libraries in "Windows Kits\10\lib\10,0,105856.0\um\x64". Includes in "Windows Kits\10\include\10,0,105856.0\um".
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Downloaded the Enterprise version

Wow, I hope you didn't make Bill Gates richer?  ::)

Does it document exotic stuff like those in Geoff Chappell's list? Arbitrary example: ZwWow64CsrAllocateMessagePointer?

Btw this time the VS installation didn't steal my file extensions (.lst, .h), but it kicked out Olly as JIT and put its own instead :icon_mrgreen:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 06:06:02 PM »
Free download with a month of testing (or is it 3, I forget).

> Does it document exotic stuff like ......

You would have to download it yourself to find out. I have yet to see any help in these recent packages, I think they want you to always use MSDN or similar. Lucky I got WIN32.HLP to work on Win10, almost all API's listed still have the same form.
hutch at movsd dot com

rrr314159

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 06:49:13 PM »
I wonder what happened to MS, once long ago they were smart, fast and well organized.

“Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men" - Lord Acton was talking about Mr. Gates.

When you've already got 51 billion you no longer need to keep customers happy. As a child, Bill got his kicks pulling the wings off flies and watching them struggle helplessly. Now he gets his kicks turning out loads of chyte and watching you struggle helplessly trying to install it and get it working. But he still puts in long hours, devising new ways to make you suffer. ML64 was one of his finest creations. The man's a genius: compared to him the Marquis de Sade was a bumbling amateur.

Of course all his own personal computers are Macintoshes.
I am NaN ;)