Author Topic: Survey  (Read 2624 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Survey
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 10:26:58 AM »
I don't personally have anything against folks who hold religious views but I am less than tolerant of people who try and shove their religious views down other people's throats. In the last couple of thousand years there has been a history of religious zealots forcing their views on other people and its among the things that most modern societies have left behind but the underlying tendency to try and inflict religion onto others is still alive and well today. One exception is the general religious disposition of the Indian sub-continent that is capable of absorbing a multitude of different religions over time with a technique called "syncretism".

Andy has over the years tried to inflict his version of "American Old Time Religion" over not only his fellow Americans but anyone else he can point it at, complete with its bigotry, arrogance and a willingness to enforce it over others who don't hold that view but here it will never see the light of day, in the past I have had to ask the occasional preacher of Islam to do it elsewhere and to keep a level playing field I have to do that same thing with Andy.

From a long time ago when I broke a knee joint in a motorbike prang and ended up in Sydney's Saint Vincent's Hospital, being bored sh*tless with nothing to do while recovering from a knee operation, a very old Catholic Nun came in to visit an old fella across the ward but he was so zonked with the medication that he was incoherent so she wandered over to talk to me instead. She had come from Ireland when she was 17 years of age and had worked in her Catholic order all of her life and I think at the time she was into her 80s. I don't come from a Catholic background but I do measure people by what they do, not what they say and this lovely old lady had dedicated her whole adult life to helping other people.

A lesson that Andy and those of similar disposition need to learn, its not what you say but what you do that matters and very vaguely I remember this distinction from the Epistle of James makes this clear. Strange how zealots put aside the tenets of their own religion when it comes to inflicting their views on others.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

sinsi

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 11:15:17 AM »
C'mon hutch, it's funny to watch steam coming from jj's ears whenever Andy gets on his high horse :biggrin:
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

anunitu

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
JJ has ears????

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 12:12:12 PM »
 :P

I vote for Andy getting a dedicated sub-forum. One that doesn't show up with Show unread posts since last visit 8)

rrr314159

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2016, 03:27:34 PM »
Having thought about it, I guess my position would be

0. Anti-Atheist
I am NaN ;)

anunitu

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »
I might have had a fleeting thought about you rrr,as perhaps an anti-cristo kind of person.

But being pagan myself,and not truly believing a lot of the Abrahamic stuff. So whatever.

rrr314159

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 06:26:26 PM »
pagan's reasonable. Books are dangerous.
I am NaN ;)

rrr314159

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »
I don't personally have anything against folks who hold religious views but I am less than tolerant of people who try and shove their religious views down other people's throats.

Sure, I understand that. And we do have a couple bigots at this forum. But remember, everybody's got their good points and bad points. Those same bigots have given us not only MasmBasic, but masm32.com itself!
I am NaN ;)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2016, 11:05:52 PM »
Can't speak for Hutch, of course, but I am proud of that :bgrin:

Point is that we don't pollute religious fora with arguments about the pros and cons of macros :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:52 AM »
Yep, bigotry definitely has something going for it, while I am sure they already exist, if someone has that patience and interest to set up a venue where religious matters are the prime directive, then you could have Shintoists kicking the guts out of Zoroastrians while the folks of Vedic disposition hound the Muslims who in turn call Christians kafir only to receive the response of infidel while both receive the description of goyem from our Jewish friends.

None the less, such sales pitches from any one competing group do not have a place here, you can freely be a supporter of Baal as long as you don't try and shove it down someone elses throat.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

rrr314159

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 08:12:36 AM »
The big difference between you guys and other bigots: you're right and they're wrong. Of course the other bigots think they're right, and you're wrong. But they're wrong. Right?
I am NaN ;)

Magnum

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 09:24:40 AM »
Having thought about it, I guess my position would be

0. Anti-Atheist

Interesting. :-)

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 04:58:11 AM »
The big difference between you guys and other bigots: you're right and they're wrong. Of course the other bigots think they're right, and you're wrong. But they're wrong. Right?
Couldn't have said it better myself  :lol:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
The big difference between you guys and other bigots

What's your definition of bigot?

a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)

Merriam-Webster. Not so applicable here - are we racist if we argue about the pros and cons of ML64? Do we hate each other in this context...?

Just curious :P

Adamanteus

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 10:27:53 AM »
0. Anti-Atheist
Interesting. :-)
- looks like synonym of Realist - subtype of Atheist, so I'm joining :
Knowing is better than believing. That's my religion.