News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Open source file manager in plain x64 assembly (MASM)

Started by dp4, October 12, 2016, 12:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dp4

hutch--

Looks like you have done some interesting work here. If you write a prologue/epilogue pair of macros, you can do both high level and low level procedures. The high level ones look like this.

WndProc proc hWin:QWORD,uMsg:QWORD,wParam:QWORD,lParam:QWORD

For high level you automate the filling of the shadow space with the first 4 register arguments and can use any of the arguments directly. Low level bypasses all of this passing directly in the 4 registers to a procedure that has no stack frame. The number of registers when used correctly make algorithms a lot easier to write and you can avoid using the stack, just a slightly different brain to Win32.

jj2007

Nice project, Stephan, really :t

The multilingual interface (English, German and Italian) might need some attention, though:

fearless

Some splash screen shows then a crash dialog

Exception Code:    c0000005
Fault Module Name: ole32.dll

Running windows 7 x64 - no av or other products that might cause an issue

Vortex

Both of the applications cannot run XP 64-bit :

setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

micrommander is not a valid Win32 application.

hutch--

I went to download the project but the site requires that you log in first so I did not bother as I am tired of spam from sites I have visited once. RE: It not running correctly on some OS versions, this could probably be fixed easily enough as it is likely to be how the stackframe is setup. As far as 64 bit XP, I don't know how compatible it is with Win7 64 and later.

Vortex

The file manager works fine on the Windows 7 Preinstallation Environment 64-bit ( Win7PE SE 64-bit )

GuruSR

Quote from: hutch-- on October 12, 2016, 10:14:12 AM
I went to download the project but the site requires that you log in first so I did not bother as I am tired of spam from sites I have visited once. RE: It not running correctly on some OS versions, this could probably be fixed easily enough as it is likely to be how the stackframe is setup. As far as 64 bit XP, I don't know how compatible it is with Win7 64 and later.

Umm...  after all the WoW 64 stuff I've been going through, I can tell you from first hand, 64 bit XP isn't anywhere near 64bit Vista+.  As for code functionality, 64bit stuff rarely worked correctly in XP due to it being a "first version" of 64 bit for Microsoft on a whole.  XP64 bit is Vista x64 SP0, but without the redirection/reflections in the registry, and those parts are undocumented.  Not to mention, most of the x64 environment changed in Vista and don't exist in XP64.  I *think* the Syswow64 folder *may* be in XP64, but don't quote me on it, it's as rare as Vista 32bit Enterprise.

GuruSR.
Learned 68k Motorola Asm instruction set in 30 minutes on the way to an Amiga Developer's Forum meeting.
Following week wrote a kernel level memory pool manager in 68k assembler for fun.

Vortex

The Wow64 system exists on Windows XP 64-bit :

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64

I am able to do 64-bit programming on this operating system. No any problem.

LiaoMi

Commander fails, when you open the administrator folders from a simple user   :(

dp4

Thanks for all the feedback :icon_cool: I'll check some of the errors. I tried only on Win10 x64, never saw a XP x64 version. Win7 however should work..

GuruSR

Quote from: Vortex on October 13, 2016, 06:08:39 AM
The Wow64 system exists on Windows XP 64-bit :

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64

I am able to do 64-bit programming on this operating system. No any problem.

Ah, okay.  I know the redirection of it in the registry is a silly pain in the behind.  Much like my woes with figuring how to migrate a 32bit registry into that Wow64 mess...  So far, partially working, crashes IE (ugh), other things like resources aren't being registered (or I got harsh on the restrictions and cut my own throat, not sure what stuff in the registry I need to keep, M$ still guards all that with secrecy).

GuruSR.
Learned 68k Motorola Asm instruction set in 30 minutes on the way to an Amiga Developer's Forum meeting.
Following week wrote a kernel level memory pool manager in 68k assembler for fun.

User_1960

In order for the programs to run in XP they must be linked with the "/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01" Linker switch. The Linker DP4 used defaults to "6.0" that is Vista, the minimum OS version required.

Regards

Negens

Quote from: User_1960 on November 29, 2016, 05:51:06 PM
In order for the programs to run in XP they must be linked with the "/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS,5.01" Linker switch. The Linker DP4 used defaults to "6.0" that is Vista, the minimum OS version required.

Regards

Hi, I tried this and 5.01 is considered as an error by link.exe.
Is there another way to make programs run since XP ?

User_1960

Quote from: Negens on January 16, 2017, 09:32:48 AM
Quote from: User_1960 on November 29, 2016, 05:51:06 PM

Regards

Hi, I tried this and 5.01 is considered as an error by link.exe.
Is there another way to make programs run since XP ?

Which Linker are you using ?