Author Topic: Spammers getting more stupid every day  (Read 1277 times)

raymond

• Raymond's page
Spammers getting more stupid every day
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »
A few weeks ago, I received 75 almost identical e-mails within a 24-hr period. The only differences were the name of the sender and that same name at the end of the message indicating (s)he was the CEO of the company promising high daily income!!! How could anybody with an IQ higher than 50 ever believe such an offer under those circumstances. An inspection of the source header indicated that the sender's IP address was all over the map.

I continued receiving the same message at a decreasing rate over the following days, even two weeks after the initial batch. Some of the infected computers on his botnet  probably don't access the internet on a regular basis. :icon_confused:

Lately, I've been receiving quite a few e-mails apparently originating from Facebook. Their originating IP addresses at least appear to be within the same area.

Then there are those messages such as:

Subject: See inside for a GoId credit card 0ffer

Those spammers must be total morons unless they expect the recipients to be even more moron than them. With such a sender's e-mail address, how could any message be taken seriously. (In this particular case, the two misspellings in the subject seems intentional; I wonder what may have been its purpose.)
Whenever you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.
http://www.ray.masmcode.com/

rrr314159

Re: Spammers getting more stupid every day
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Quote from: H.L. Mencken
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people"
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 02:16:43 PM »
Ray,

I have seen the stats on this type of spam, they send so many they only have to succeed 1 in a million so their odds of getting a moron who bites is pretty good.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

sinsi

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »
>In this particular case, the two misspellings in the subject seems intentional; I wonder what may have been its purpose.
To try and fool a spam filter's keyword searcher usually.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

Vortex

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 08:12:12 PM »
Hutch's explanation is very good. The strategy of the spammers can be summarized with only one word : statistics. If they succeed only one in a million, it's good for them since they don't have to pay for spam messages.

raymond

• Raymond's page
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 03:14:06 AM »
>In this particular case, the two misspellings in the subject seems intentional; I wonder what may have been its purpose.
To try and fool a spam filter's keyword searcher usually.
If that's the reason, I would thus raise their expected IQ from 50 to 51.  :lol:

mineiro

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 10:39:55 AM »
The new wave on my country is about bills, they only change code bar nothing more. So, you print that paper from email and go to pay that bill, after payment the thieve have that money into they account. Maybe only few persons know about 3 of 9.
Do bad things to others have a fascination inside poor minds.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

Lightman

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:31 PM »
I've been curious about this. There are some quite sophisticated scams out there, but also some so poorly conceived and written that I doubted that they would ever work.

The classic being the Nigerian style advance fee fraud. You know, some ex-government minister/military official/royalty needs your help getting some unbelievably large amount of money out of the country. They are always badly written and the amount of money is always written in numbers and capitalized words. People fall for this?

Apparently so, if they didn't the scammers wouldn't do it. The promise of getting 400 MILLION  (FOUR HUNDRED MILLION) USD must be too much.   
Regards,

Lightman

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 04:15:51 AM »
Rule 1 :- Never click on any links in any emails

Rule 2 :- The scam will always start with a sob story, promise of quick money, or end with something to do with money.

Rule 3 :- The English grammer is usually baddddd...

Rule 4 :- The Delete key is your friend

OR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2BNsMSwEo
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

mineiro

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:54 AM »
Rule 1 :- Never click on any links in any emails
OR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT2BNsMSwEo
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Intentional to us don't click?  :greensml:

Good advices sir K_F, have much more.
Don't trust on QR codes and codebars or things that you can't read.
If you can read, check about redirection. Don't trust on link.
Help others by sending abuse@ to hosted pages servers (banks mirror pages per example). Send malicious emails to cops that deal with virtual crimes of your city/state/country.
The BANK should protect you, not inverse. We don't see this today, banks imaginate that user should protect himself.
Never, never, never buy anything by computer, cell phone or other eletronic device.
Don't use credit card on not trusted business, they can clone your chip. Never type your credit card password on machine that emit sounds (they can scan your password by just listening tones or frequency by using smarth phones).
The paper that ATM emits does not mean that a person payed something. I can insert an empty envelope to faking that I'm depositing into some account some money or paying to somebody.
Don't do bank operations if have persons with cell phone near to you.
Don't use or disable flash, java, javascript,vbs... .
We are assembly programmers and we know that we can reverse/crack malicious software. This way we will find login/password/IP or addresses and do justice by hands.

I'm changing your rule 3 to more convenient: The grammar is really baddddddd in any language. Low education level. Like mine on english language but not on my mother language.

I was cleaning my mother machine and found 8 strange programs inside. I so send these programs to AVG and less than 1 week they update their AV. Good pratice.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 08:18:02 AM »
I'm changing your rule 3 to more convenient: The grammar is really baddddddd in any language. Low education level. Like mine on english language but not on my mother language.
True.. one can detect when the language grammar is bad in any language, when it comes from an outsider

I was cleaning my mother machine and found 8 strange programs inside. I so send these programs to AVG and less than 1 week they update their AV. Good pratice.
I apply strict restrictions to my windows services... more or less achieves the same (if not better) effect than any anti-virus.  ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

mineiro

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 10:40:22 AM »
Oh, I see errors from my part. I talked about 'my mother machine', I think the correct is "machine of my mother'. Well, this is why I'm just not posting so much because I recognize my faults. I should learn english language.
Other fault was about "on machine that emit sounds", the error is because human body can listen from 20 to 20khz, so have "sounds" that we can't listen.

I agree with you, the best AV is the user.

On a recent past, malicious persons create dot com programs and tried to fake this as being an internet link like: www.myprogram.com . By luck dot com programs are not supported by new O.S.

raymond

• Raymond's page
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
By luck dot com programs are not supported by new O.S.
However, even with Win10 64-bit, you can still run those dot com programs under a DOS box.