Author Topic: Windows 10, a steaming pile of sh*t  (Read 2209 times)

sinsi

Windows 10, a steaming pile of sh*t
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »
I am sorry Microsoft, but our 26 year love fest has come to an end. I don't recognise you any more, you've changed so much.
From me being a proponent to an apologist to...this. So sad.

Windows 10 Anniversary update - I've spent the last few weeks cleaning up your mess.
Taking over printer management but not allowing printing? Genius.
Breaking network shares? Outstanding.
Looping with the stupid circle thing because a FUCKING LOGITECH WIRELESS KB/MOUSE IS PLUGGED IN? The straw that broke the camel's back.

Imagine me turning up for a hung update, charging $200 to unplug the wireless dongle.
Yes, that's all it takes. As soon as it is unplugged, the update installs.

Steve drove the company in to the ground, now no-name (who is he?) is burying the remains.
You watch, Microsoft will start charging a monthly or yearly fee to use Windows. It's working well for Office.

I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

anunitu

Re: Windows 10, a steaming pile of sh*t
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »
I am really thinking MS has screwed the pooch when Die hard MS assembler programmers start to think perhaps I have trusted to much.

This is not the Windows I sought(think star wars) and then look with new eyes at "The other" white meat.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »
Welcome in the club, John :icon14:

My favourite statistics:
Code: [Select]
Windows install Mhz/RAM/disk:
Atari ST 8/0.5/1 (for comparison)
Win 3.1 25/2mb/6mb
95 ?/4/50
98 66MHz/16mb/200mb
NT 33/16/110
ME 150/32/320
2000 133/64/0.65 of 2g
XP 300/128/1.5
Vista HP 1g/1g/15 of 40g
Win 7 1g/1g/16
Ratio Vista:Win 3.1 40/500/2500

You need a logarithmic scale to display the trend. And Windows 10 is not in yet, but I have lost tens of Gigabytes in the last months on Window 7-64, probably thanks to the "TrustedInstaller" that is working hard once or twice a day. When my fan starts howling, it's either that crappy proggie, or some equally crappy website that mistakenly believes I love watching video ads.

Point is, when you compare our pride in 1024-bytes hello world windows application (or 20k with MasmBasic's overhead) to the 4GB or so that Windows needs nowadays, that's a factor 4,000,000. Nobody can control that pile of sh*t, especially taking into account that the effective IQ of a team is much lower than the average IQ of its members. They are not able to fix twenty years old bugs in ML, they are not able to offer a bug-free RichEdit control in that 4 GB of shyte, that says it all.

Linux isn't much better, apparently, and I am allergic to apples, but Windows definitely sucks. M$ urgently needs a strategy. I would suggest an internal economic reward system that punishes managers who bloat the OS or cause bad headlines ("spyware"), and increases the salaries of those who make the customer happy.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 08:39:10 PM »
 :biggrin:

And there I was thinking I was a voice crying in the wilderness. I tricked Win 10 update by replacing the boot drive with a 3 day old backup that has so far saved me 26 gigabytes which was mainly chyte from the Microsoft Store in a protected directory in "Program Files (x86)". It is fragile to the extent of Win95 OEM and while the back end of it is reasonably well done, the front end is a disaster that is nearly impossible to fix without a disk image. The system repair disk will probably start the OS if you have not done anything risky but its fascinating to see Microsoft reverting back to the 16 bit Win 3.0 problem solver of "Re-Install Windows" as the solution to the arse falling out of Win 10.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 02:30:14 AM »
What I find truly amazing is that they are not able to fix twenty year old well-known bugs in the latest versions of ML or RichEd20.dll. Or, and that just happened to me, ask the user if he really wants to turn the screen vertically. I hit a wrong key by accident :(

And I'm not the first one, see change screen orientation from vertical to horizontal:
You and 63 other people had this question

And it's a major nuisance to find your way back with a notebook that is 90 degrees rotated, mouse movements included. In the end, I had to turn it physically upside down to find my way through the bloody control panel.

Really, Redmond, how much work would it be to insert a "Don't ask me again" style MessageBox into your 4 GIGABYTES of shyte? If being dumb would hurt, they would have to isolate the Microsoft premises from civilisation with a noise protection wall. Shame on you :icon_redface:

anunitu

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 04:24:23 AM »
"Steve drove the company in to the ground, now no-name (who is he?) is burying the remains.
You watch, Microsoft will start charging a monthly or yearly fee to use Windows. It's working well for Office."

This was my first thought when they did the "Free windows 10" thing...as my Sainted Mother used to say a lot "There is no such thing as a free lunch" Well she was not really a saint,more a cynic,and she passed that trait to me.

anta40

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 01:07:13 PM »
Linux isn't much better, apparently, and I am allergic to apples, but Windows definitely sucks. M$ urgently needs a strategy.

Try BSD.
Kidding  :P This is one of the cases where open source OSes are favourable.
If you don't like them, just hack the code. Or submit a report to the bug tracker.
With Windows, you are pretty much on the mercy of its developers

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 01:55:15 AM »
open source OSes are favourable.
If you don't like them, just hack the code. Or submit a report to the bug tracker.
With Windows, you are pretty much on the mercy of its developers

I spend already enough time exploring the bugs of Windows - fixing the bugs of another OS sounds even more difficult. With Windows, at least you can hope for consumer pressure.

Just found a nice database for startup entries - for use with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run etc

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 04:42:00 AM »
I have no plans to upgrade my W7, the last good OS from MS.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

GuruSR

• Assembler (6500, 68k, Intel), C(all), VB6, no .Net
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
Wow...  just... wow.  Though the funny part about a lot of this is, the masses just simply don't care/understand.

Person A buys a laptop to surf the web, do they care 80% of the drive space is eaten by updates?  No, because they're clueless about such things or simply don't care.  They can still surf the web.

Pretty much all versions of Windows except version 1 (yes, I said 1) are a steaming pile of (Oh, no crap icon up there, imagine one).  I ran an emulator for a 386 on an Amiga (50MHz machine) and decided to turn the CPU down to stock speed (7MHz) just so I could laugh at how Windows draws windows.  Painfully slow and horrific in CPU abuse.  Then I grabbed the window with a machine that supported layers, and dragged it around while it continued to draw the border for a window it was trying to open and at 60FPS I was whipping the layer window around at lightning speed while the CPU was tortured by the emulator and the GPU wasn't breaking a sweat with me tossing the layer around, because all it was doing was updating it's coordinates and redrawing the layers.

Simply put, Microsoft had it completely wrong, instead of re-inventing the wheel, they should have bought it (like Apple did).  The biggest jokes in Microsoft's history:  Windows 3+, DirectX, DirectDraw, Direct*, Start Menu (ALL), Explorer (Shell), IE integration with everything (dumbest move ever), .NET.  I could go on and on, but the as hardware outruns what most people do these days, these points are all moot.  The general masses don't care, they use the machine for what it does, when they out grow it (be it update induced or they need something faster), they drive the economy to buy more machines (while our landfills suffer).  I dislike and do not follow the "3 year refresh" most companies thrust at you (Intel drives me nuts almost weekly about it), but sadly the masses do, hence why a lot of countries are starting to implement (or already have) recycling programs for electronics, since the 3 year refresh program has caused more landfill than the automotive industry.

GuruSR.
Learned 68k Motorola Asm instruction set in 30 minutes on the way to an Amiga Developer's Forum meeting.
Following week wrote a kernel level memory pool manager in 68k assembler for fun.

xanatose

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 03:06:13 AM »
I have no plans to upgrade my W7, the last good OS from MS.
Wise decision.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »
Win 7-64: Out of curiosity, I typed "nvi" in the control panel, and yep, there is a specific control panel for my graphics card. Needless to say that clicking "search online" yields no result, not even an answer. A joke...

I always feel utterly ashamed if one of my proggies produces an access violation :icon_redface: .. but OK, I'm not a professional programmer like those guys at NVIDIA 8)

shankle

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 08:24:38 AM »
I'm on Windows 7 pro 64-bit.
Got a new puter 6 months ago and had windows 7 pro 64-bit
installed in it.

Still will never use WINDOWS 10!!!!!

There is a problem however. If your computer dies permanently,
the "activate" crap will get you if Mickeysoft decides not to activate
your new windows 7 puter :(
I guess you could run it with no updates whatsoever with the proper
barriers like a cut off switch when not on the internet, ESET SS, Malwarebytes,
Ccleaner, Sandboxie, Sweepi etc. etc.

anunitu

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 08:31:33 AM »
I am kind of doing that,Comodo has a cutoff switch,and nice internet security suite..If I lose windows 7 64,I am going Linux or maybe even Android...May get a blue tooth wireless connection when I am doing my dirtnap.(Yeh,very dark sense of humor)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
Jack,

You need to own a retail version to be able to re-install Win7 64. I paid a fortune to get Win7 64 Ultimate years ago but when I rebuilt my Win7 box late last year I just re-installed it onto the new SSD that replaced the old HDD that was starting to fail. The other option if your win7 box is running OK at the moment is to get a disk imaging program, the free one from WD is a version of Acronis so even if you have a disk failure, you can plonk a new one in and restore win7.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin: