News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Suggestion and question about moving of some Old Forum stuff into New Forum

Started by Antariy, May 22, 2012, 02:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antariy

What about "porting" of important threads' histories from old forum into this one in such a way:
in old masm32.com need to "Print Page" in the thread to be backed up (upper right corner of the messages list on the thread page), then save new page with all the messages as plain HTML file, archive it, and attach it to a new post of the same (continued) thread on this forum?

hutch--

dedndave

Antariy

Quote from: hutch-- on May 22, 2012, 02:57:44 AM
Alex,

The forum database is about 655 meg.

I meant the thing like: http://www.masm32.com/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=770.0
For important threads this is simple way to save all its history. Need just to save the page like following to the link above, archive it and attach in the continued thread here.
Anyway it was just a suggestion...

Quote from: dedndave on May 22, 2012, 04:09:46 AM
www.archive.org or similar "wayback" sites

...OK, OK, it was not the best suggestion :P

hutch--

:biggrin:

128488 Posts in 15254 Topics by 684 Members

Try and do this manually and youy would return in time for Win2000.

Antariy

I meant the thing like this one: http://masmforum.com/~masm32/board/index.php?topic=44.msg185#msg185
Not for all threads, and to be done by the person who created the thread :biggrin:

Ghandi

This is an ignorant question, i know, but how much trouble would it be to make a downloadable copy of the old forum?

That way anyone who was really keen to save/post information from the old db to the new one could, with appropriate credits of course.

HR,
Ghandi

hutch--

Its highly problematic to do something like this, privacy issues, copyright issues and the sheer size of doing so. The browsable copy on this server is over 800 meg, the original old forum in the UK requires an Apache server, MySql and PHP to run and the database contains personal information for many members so it could not be passed around at all.

This is why I have done both a browsable copy locally and moved the old forum in browsable condition to another domain name so it can be accessed by members.