News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Editor for testing

Started by jj2007, December 12, 2016, 01:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

This is a really simple editor with a toolbar. The only unusual feature is the "Language" menu.
Grateful for feedback and corrections, especially on the tooltips in not-so-common languages.

hutch--

Runs OK on my Win10. One suggestion, on the language menu, translate each language to its self so that the reader can read his own language. Appearance wise it needs a manifest to modernise the interface components.

mabdelouahab

Quote from: jj2007 on December 12, 2016, 01:36:31 PM
This is a really simple editor with a toolbar. The only unusual feature is the "Language" menu.
Grateful for feedback and corrections, especially on the tooltips in not-so-common languages.
Good  :t , but the last 4 language don't translate complete like Arabic  (In: File Menu/Language Menu/Console build/Windows Build/Replace)
Windows 8.1 Arabic

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on December 12, 2016, 04:30:33 PMOne suggestion, on the language menu, translate each language to its self so that the reader can read his own language.

Good point, will do that in the next version.

QuoteAppearance wise it needs a manifest to modernise the interface components.

It does have a simple XP manifest - see second attachment. But there is a big known problem here: The tooltips won't work correctly with the full XP manifest. And while they work fine with a Win7 manifest, the whole proggie will fail to load in XP with that one. Try googling for CCM_SETVERSION tooltips :(

I attach the three versions for testing. Note how the tooltips show up - it's not very evident, sometimes they work in the "full" version, sometimes they show up only occasionally.

Quote from: mabdelouahab on December 12, 2016, 07:25:47 PMthe last 4 language don't translate complete like Arabic  (In: File Menu/Language Menu/Console build/Windows Build/Replace)

Yes, some translations are missing. I don't speak Arabic, and I don't trust Google translate completely, so I would be grateful for proper translations of these more or less standard menus. Last attachment is the *.tab file used to build the editor, perhaps you could have a look; same for anybody here who speaks Chinese or Japanese 8)

MichaelW

Other than flicker when the window is resized, it works fine on my Windows 10 notebook.
Well Microsoft, here's another nice mess you've gotten us into.

jj2007

Quote from: MichaelW on December 12, 2016, 10:06:56 PM
Other than flicker when the window is resized, it works fine on my Windows 10 notebook.

Updated above, flicker is gone - thanks :t

hutch--

JJ,

Give this one a blast in the resource file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<description>Windows Application</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

This has worked on everything for years.

In the RC file.

1 24 "manifest.xml"    // manifest file

For the tooltips straight out of the guts of QE, try this with a full XP manifest.

mov hToolTips, FUNC(SendMessage,hToolBar,TB_GETTOOLTIPS,0,0)

invoke SendMessage,hToolTips,TTM_SETDELAYTIME,TTDT_INITIAL,0
        invoke SendMessage,hToolTips,TTM_SETDELAYTIME,TTDT_RESHOW,0

jj2007

Hutch,

Thanks for this, but no changes :(

My version of QE (4.0j) doesn't have tooltips - or do you mean something different?

hutch--

I use the tooltips to display on the status bar rather than the small popup windows. From memory the common control library is buggy with version 6.???? for XP and it was always a bit unreliable with tooltips. That particular manifest works on everything from XP upwards in 32 bit.

jj2007

New version: The tooltips work now with the XP manifest (one day I will reveal the ugly secret).

The editor also has a dropfile feature, and it should work with Unicode file names. Grateful for feedback 8)

This is the WM_DROPFILES handler:

Event DropFiles
  call CheckSave      ; check if user wants to save changes
  .if eax
      wLet ThisDoc$=wRec$(Files$(0))      ; take only the first dropped file
      jmp @OpenThis
  .endif

avcaballero

I cannot see any icon on buttons in toolbar.

For Spanish messages, they usually are used in infinitive:

* Copy -> Copiar
* Paste -> Pegar
* Cut -> Cortar
* Print -> Imprimir

jj2007

Quote from: caballero on December 20, 2016, 07:55:08 PM
I cannot see any icon on buttons in toolbar.

Same problem as last time with gif images on your machine. Interesting ::)

QuoteFor Spanish messages, they usually are used in infinitive:

* Copy -> Copiar
* Paste -> Pegar
* Cut -> Cortar
* Print -> Imprimir

Thanks, will fix that asap :t

FORTRANS

Hi,

Version from Reply #9, did not run with Windows 2000, seems to
run okay with Windows XP.

HTH,

Steve N.

jj2007

Quote from: FORTRANS on December 21, 2016, 12:06:20 AMVersion from Reply #9, did not run with Windows 2000, seems to run okay with Windows XP

Thanks, Steve. AFAIK Gdi+ was introduced with XP SP3...

hutch--

Seems to work fine on my Win10 64. Tooltips appear properly, language menu reads OK but I would be inclined on all of the different menus to write each language in itself, English for English, French for French etc ....