Author Topic: Possible giant spoon found on Mars  (Read 3955 times)

rrr314159

Re: Possible giant spoon found on Mars
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 03:41:50 AM »
@Lightman, Undoubtedly you know Jeff Wayne stole / borrowed those words from H.G. Wells
I am NaN ;)

Lightman

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
@rrr314159, Indeed so, although I have not read the original book. Whenever War of the Worlds is mentioned I always think of either the 1953 film or the musical from the 1970's. On the album of the musical the little monologues are spoken by an actor named Richard Burton, whose steady narration gives the start of the album a creepy feel. I think the words spoken are the opening paragraph of the original book.

Perhaps I should read the book, as with all these things, I am told the book is better than any of the films. The quote from the musical; "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one." Must be correct. Since, as we all know, the aliens are coming from Alpha Centauri.
Regards,

Lightman

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
I read it in my school years .
I want to quote famous words from "Total recall" (1990) movie with  Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sharon Stone:
"Open your mind" .  Interestingly that there's another movie (2012) with the same title and based on the same short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick .

Since, as we all know, the aliens are coming from Alpha Centauri.

Whom exactly do you mean telling "we" ? Hutch, rrr, jj and you ?

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
 :biggrin:

> Since, as we all know, the aliens are coming from Alpha Centauri

I think we would have to test if their code is any good first before we allowed them to join otherwise they may pollute the code produced by other off worlders.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

rrr314159

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »
@Lightman,

I consider the book better than the movie. Check it out; if you like "War of the Worlds", you'll like the rest of H.G. Well's work also. That would provide a lot of reading material for killing time! I suppose "The Time Machine" is his best, BTW.

However - it's quite possible you wouldn't like any of his novels, because they're old. Fiction has a limited "shelf life", later generations may not appreciate it. His assumptions about society are completely foreign to your experience. His characters and situations might strike you as incomprehensible and, basically, just silly. When you read old fiction you must make an effort to understand that old society, its ways and mores, else it's just boring garbage. Thus it took me a fair amount of study to appreciate Shakespeare. Old fiction is not just entertainment. It's a window into the past, teaches how they thought back then. Far better than non-fiction, or history, for that purpose.

So I hesitate to simply say H.G. Wells is "good", without any qualification. You ought to check him out when you get around to it. But your generation might have no use for him, and prefer the movie (or video).

@GoneFishing,

Philip K. Dick is great, or at least very good. However I never realized how good until I read his non-science fiction. With sci-fi a pretty bad author can still be very enjoyable because of the "mind-blowing" aspect. For instance E. E. "Doc" Smith and A.E. van Vogt write great sci-fi but they're certainly not great writers. Anyway if you get around to it read Dick's "Voices from the Street". It's not sci-fi, just plain fiction - like something John Updike might produce. But it proves, better than his sci-fi, that the guy can write. Puts Updike (for instance) in the shade IMHO.

@hutch,

re. good code, you may remember I spent a year posting many thousands of lines of code. May not have been "good", but it was extremely original. Most of it was 32 / 64 bit, also single / double precision. Some of it was also ML / JWasm. Meaning, the exact same code would handle all those eight different combinations. I did original math algos, like FFT and prime generation, and lots of utility macros also. But my favorite was "MathArt".

Anyway, after all that effort few seemed to appreciate it, especially MathArt. When you finally got into 64-bit you went with some Russian's approach and ignored my work. Not that I'm complaining. I did it for myself and it was extremely worth the effort, even if nobody read it. But it discouraged me from posting code. Today I just write for myself.

If anyone wishes I'd post code again, go back to my old stuff. To you, it's brand new!
I am NaN ;)

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 11:48:24 PM »
@rrr:

MathArt is fantastic. I was thinking to make an interface demo around it. But You say You was writing an interface. When my present projects stagnant (all the time  :biggrin:) perhaps I comeback over that idea.

@Lightman:
Perhaps martians move to Alpha Centauri, only they forgotten one spoon.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 02:13:48 AM »
> When you finally got into 64-bit you went with some Russian's approach and ignored my work. Not that I'm complaining.

My reasons were technical, I waited years for someone to produce a viable 64 bit assembler and it never happened. The advantage that Vasily's work had was it was a system that could produce working code. Sad to say I don't read Russian and found his macros very hard to understand so I had to write my own prologue / epilogue to get a big enough capacity and write a call automation system from scratch as I was not happy with the limitations of Vasily's design.

Having written Windows code since 1990, there is a lot more to code design than fragments of code, there is the tedious volume of API based code that has to be got working, import libraries and includes, static libraries and a lot of macros to make a coherent system that can produce a wide range of Windows UI applications. All this must conform to the Microsoft ABI so that it is reliable in called system functions.

I personally enjoy writing algorithms, AVX is genuine fun, the older SSE is useful enough and 64 bit instructions and registers are very flexible but without shovelling through a mountain of tedium to get a system up and going, you never get to play with the fast fun stuff.

I have no prejudice against your code, it just did not occur in a coherent context. I have seen people nibbling away at Win64 for years but it was always the same problem, no coherent system, never really finished and eventually plopped somewhere and more or less forgotten. I have put in the work with MASM in 64 bit because it was finished and working and going to be around for a long time and like ML long ago, the longer you work in it, the more familiar it becomes. When I started with 32 bit ML long ago it was at least as difficult with lousy documentation, no support and a pile of morons writing viruses in TASM endlessly foulmouthing it.

With 64 bit MASM I have full production capacity, console, dialog, full Window UI interfaces, DLLs and object modules for libraries, something I still have not seen from the rest, probably FASM being the exception. The problem is that very few are willing to get off their arse and do the work. I need it for my own capacity and will publish more as I get more done. If I did not hate making help file so much there would be much more documentation but its yet another tedious task that has much more to do to get enough of it up and running.
hutch at movsd dot com

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 03:03:29 AM »
I was wondering if anyone would recognise the Martian war cry - no takers  :icon_exclaim:

1978 - War of the Worlds double LP... played it may times, I think I wore the needle out  :biggrin:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

rrr314159

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 04:24:34 AM »
MathArt is fantastic. I was thinking to make an interface demo around it. But You say You was writing an interface. When my present projects stagnant (all the time  :biggrin:) perhaps I comeback over that idea.

Thanks HSE glad to hear it!

I got "MathMovie" working pretty well a while ago. It provides an interface using mouse, menus and hotkeys to create the pictures, move them around, zoom in and out, etc. There's also a "movie" so they move and change on their own. I, and some friends, used to play with it for hours, kind of like a video game. It's a million times easier to create good still pictures this way. Also added new types of pictures.

Unfortunately there are a few versions, none of them really polished and ready for posting. I should kick myself in the rear and get it done. Even the 'Help", alone, is daunting.

What do you think: is 32 or 64 bit more useful?

I have no prejudice against your code, it just did not occur in a coherent context. I have seen people nibbling away at Win64 for years but it was always the same problem, no coherent system, never really finished and eventually plopped somewhere and more or less forgotten.

I plead guilty. Without a boss kicking me it's hard to really finish anything. Like I said, I'm not complaining. I was responding to your perceived complaint (maybe I'm being too thin-skinned) that people should post more code and less cr*p about Martians. Like you I enjoy coding, but I also enjoy stupid jokes about nothing. Probably due to a birth defect, something's wrong with the frontal cortex wiring.

I was wondering if anyone would recognise the Martian war cry - no takers.

So that's what "Uuuullllaaaa" is. Have to remember it, it will come in handy next time I attack the Earth :biggrin:
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »

rrr,

You have been in America for too long and miss an Australian sense of humour, one of our early rules is we only accept human being as members and this was to exclude script kiddies and talking heads, trolls etc ...., then as I heard complaints about discrimination against Martians so we invited Martians into the membership as long as they behaved like human beings and then of late with the suggestion of other extra-terrestrials, they can join too under the same conditions.

Now its not an unusual request to ask off worlders to contribute something to the membership, Gidney and Cloyed do the "schrooching" of spammers and what we expect from other off worlders is some decent code.

Schrooched !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzvW5hb9P9Y
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 11:15:06 AM by hutch-- »
hutch at movsd dot com

rrr314159

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Wish you hadn't given that "schrooched" link I just wasted more than an hour watching old Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons  :icon_confused:
I am NaN ;)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »

I grew up on Rocky and Bullwinkle as well.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
If you love Rocky and Bullwinkle stuff,you might like the Movie "Mr. Peabody & Sherman"

I loved this Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0864835/

HSE

• <AMD>< 7-32>
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2017, 12:29:57 AM »
@rrr,
 I'm still learning 32bit 386 with FPU. Surely I will jump directly to MASM1024  :biggrin:

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »
There you go... http://www.ray.masmcode.com/

Just keep a beady eye on the barrel, and you'll be OK

Edt:... Fark... OK ... Trying to be helpful after a few glasses  :t
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'