News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Hardware Enumerator [pre-release]

Started by Raistlin, January 24, 2017, 10:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

Version 8 works fine here. I won't post an image as I have to keep an eye on the disk usage but it all seems to match this 2 years old Haswell I am using, memory size is right, networking looks correct etc ....

zedd151

Quote from: Raistlin on July 19, 2018, 03:18:08 PM

5) Display card is not showing - what Display adapter is showing inside the XP's device manager ? - I'am interested to know please

8)

Most of the drivers are VirtualBox drivers, I only had to install SDCard and USB3 drivers.

hutch--

Z,

Do me a favour, when you post a new image would you delete the old one as I must keep an eye on the total disk usage.

zedd151

Quote from: hutch-- on July 19, 2018, 04:05:39 PM
Z,

Do me a favour, when you post a new image would you delete the old one as I must keep an eye on the total disk usage.

Okay, gotcha.  :t

aw27

It is possible to use DropBox for image direct links (Zed found the trick for ZIPs but works as well for images :t)

This is for XP Sp3 in VMware

One note: XP does not support AVX and AVX2. AVX2 is not ticked here but is ticked for Zed's AMD.

zedd151

Quote from: AW on July 19, 2018, 04:41:11 PM
It is possible to use DropBox for image direct links (Zed found the trick for ZIPs but works as well for images :t )

I had forgotten about that, until I looked at the url for the image. ( dl=1 )

One note: XP does not support AVX and AVX2. AVX2 is not ticked here but is ticked for Zed's AMD.

I'm special that way.   8)
Actually I think that the virtual machines are furbarring the results.  I'm running VirtualBox for my XP

Raistlin

QuoteIf you are running under a VM / Hypervisor (e.g. Hyper-V), it may disable support for various instruction sets (including OS-XSAVE) in order to facilitate migration across hardware
- http://support.sisoftware.net/knowledgebase.php?article=70

It's interesting that Virtual Box did not disable AVX for the known OS, in this case XP :icon_eek: - as CPUID
is still reporting support. I assume a compiler would change the executable header if AVX instructions are
detected in code - to then exclude XP as a run-time. So no damage there either way. Thanks for the reminder
about AVX support AW.

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

aw27

You need the xgetbv instruction to check for OS support.

avxSupported proc uses ebx

mov eax, 1
cpuid
bt  ecx, 27
jnc @exitfalse
xor ecx, ecx
xgetbv
and eax, 6
cmp eax, 6
jne @exitfalse
mov eax, 1
cpuid
bt ecx, 28
jnc @exitfalse
mov eax, 1
ret
@exitfalse:
mov eax, 0
ret
avxSupported endp

zedd151

Quote from: AW on July 19, 2018, 06:00:53 PM
You need the xgetbv instruction to check for OS support.

Does xgetbv work on AMD as well, the docs I looked at said Intel and IA32, but no mention of AMD.

I'll have to research further as 'xgetbv' is new to me.

edit = typo

aw27

zedd151

Quote from: AW on July 19, 2018, 06:26:04 PM
AMD has to support  xgetbv,  :biggrin:

Well, the info is hard to come by.  :P

I did find this piece on github, it's copyrighted and in C(++ ?) but it is of interest here I think.

cpuid.go

raistlin is off busy tracking a bug.

The xgetbv references are near the end of the source code.

aw27

Test it then. I am sure it will say NO in XP and say YES in Windows 7.

zedd151

AVX not supported.   :P    xp - virtual box

I'll be back from 7 and/or 10.   :badgrin:

AVX supported  :biggrin:  Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit native install

AVX supported Windows 10 Home 64 bit -  but we already knew that.   :P

aw27

Nothing wrong with Virtual Box then.  :t

zedd151

Quote from: AW on July 19, 2018, 06:49:54 PM
Nothing wrong with Virtual Box then.  :t

Are you inferring that raistlin writes buggy code?