Author Topic: PowerBASIC has a new owner.  (Read 1497 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
PowerBASIC has a new owner.
« on: February 01, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
After the founder of PowerBASIC Bob Zale passed away (Bob was one of our members) the company has had a long run of bad luck and was not going anywhere so eventually Bob Zale's widow Vivian Zale advised that she would put the company up for sale to an appropriate buyer. This has now happened and PowerBASIC has been bought by Drake software with its CEO being Adam Drake who has been a long time user of PowerBASIC.

So far we have heard that the company will very carefully evaluate the source code written by Bob Zale and ensure that the basic philosophy of small efficient code will be maintained. As someone who has used PowerBASIC since 1997, I would wish Adam Drake and his company the very best in taking over a product of this type.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: PowerBASIC has a new owner.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
All the best to Adam Drake :t

I once paid for a PB license, hoping I could port my Gfa stuff, but no success. Still, PB is for me one of the extremely rare examples of a small, dedicated enterprise that produces excellent results, against big bloated arrogant competitors like Micros**t. PowerBasic deservers a clap on the shoulder :biggrin:

jcfuller

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »
Steve,
  I'm just trying to get my head around the PowerBASIC sale and what that means to the user base.
Too much crap and fud in the PB Forum Sale Topic.
You and I go way back with PowerBASIC but your memory is MUCH better than mine.
PbDos created with dos TASM.
PbWin /Pbcc started with tasm but then was ported to tasm32 when the compiler would not run on 64bt systems. Correct?

400,000 lines of asm code for the compiler including blank lines and comments?
This seems a lot less than I would have guessed given the HUGE number of PB statements and functions.

James

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:05 AM »
400,000 lines of asm code for the compiler including blank lines and comments?

For comparison: MB has 30k lines, about 100 lines per command. So the PB figure looks realistic imho.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 01:58:17 AM »
James,

I would guess that Adam and Co have a large task ahead of them to get their head around the PB source code but if they have been willing to buy it, I guess they know enough about it to continue to update it. I would not take much notice of the gab fest in the PB forum, most of it is bullsh*t from folks who know little about assembler programming. Last I knew was that the 32 bit versions were written using the 32 bit version of TASM but I don't know what was used for the Alpha version of the 64 bit compiler.
hutch at movsd dot com

jcfuller

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 03:19:13 AM »
I would guess that Adam and Co have a large task ahead of them to get their head around the PB source code but if they have been willing to buy it
According to Eric in the Pb Topic they bought it sight unseen. Vivian would not let them see the code before the sale.??

James

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 03:57:40 AM »
 :biggrin:

I always thought Vivian Zale was a shrewd business woman. I would not have shown it either.
hutch at movsd dot com

jiucenglou

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 12:07:21 AM »
Very sad to hear about Bob Zale passing away. RIP.  :(

Would you share your experiences about how using PowerBasic fits in MASM32 programming ?

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 12:19:13 AM »
Would you share your experiences about how using PowerBasic fits in MASM32 programming ?

Most important, the philosophy: Power without the bloat :t

Especially for Windows API programming, there are many excellent examples in PB that can easily be translated to Masm32. for example, the PB and José Roca forums were more important for my Gdi+ work than anything else on the web.

jiucenglou

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 12:44:10 AM »

Most important, the philosophy: Power without the bloat :t

Especially for Windows API programming, there are many excellent examples in PB that can easily be translated to Masm32. for example, the PB and José Roca forums were more important for my Gdi+ work than anything else on the web.

Thank you for your comments very much ! :t
Last time I played with GDI+, drawing text with precise metrics requirements (duplicating what another application does) was very difficult to achieve. I should check the PB and José Roca forums to learn.