News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Remote memory test piece.

Started by hutch--, March 17, 2017, 03:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

The attached file contains a 32 bit MASM executable with source that starts and runs a 64 bit executable that allocates 4 x 1.5 gig memory blocks that can be written to 1 at a time from the calling 32 bit app. It is a test piece to extend the amount of memory that can be accessed from a 32 bit app. For anyone old enough, it has the same logic as switch bank memory in very old DOS machines, you can work on 1.5 gig of data at a time, save it to the remote memory, work on another 1.5 gig block etc ....

It uses the combination of Windows messaging and a memory mapped file for the data exchange. To test it you will need to be running a 64 bit version of Windows, 7/8/10 and have enough memory installed to allocate 6 gig. Run the EXE "client.exe" and load any file you like and use the UP arrow to transfer that data to the remote 64 bit app. You can do this 4 time with 4 different files into the four slots, the down arrow on the toolbar writes saved data from the remote app back to the edit window.

I have not included the 64 bit app as it is not yet fit for human consumption, seems to work OK and is reliable enough but there is no garrantee that it is idiot proof, it is a proof of concept, not a finished application.

mabdelouahab

hutch--

I don't read French properly but I think I know what happened, load a file, not just a short line of text and see if that works. This is a test piece, not an application.

I found what happened, the copy algo in 64 bit did not handle below 16 bytes.

mabdelouahab

Quote from: hutch-- on March 17, 2017, 05:24:42 AM
I found what happened, the copy algo in 64 bit did not handle below 16 bytes.
I opened a text file and retest operation, It is working well  :t