Author Topic: ARDOUR, a good FREE DAW for Linux, Mac and Windows  (Read 289 times)

LordAdef

ARDOUR, a good FREE DAW for Linux, Mac and Windows
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:47:57 AM »
It´s me again with another DAW thread

I´ve been exchanging a couple of PM with Hutch on audio etc.. That lead me to do some research on what are the available good free options.

Well, I work in the music business. Things are expensive... Good audio softwares are hard to make.

Yesterday I got to know a bit about "ARDOUR". I think it´s the closest of a profession DAW you can get.

- Linux is where Ardour shines. You need to get JAK (also free, I think this is the name). Hundreds of good free plugins made for linux enviroment. I´m not a linux user though

- There are versions for IOs and Windows too. In this case you can use VST audio plugins.

- As far as I can get it, Ardour does a lot! And it does 100% of the semi-pro stuff.

- Beautiful interface!

If you guys are on Audacity, I would seriously have a look at this prog. It´s a big leap.

I hope that may be useful.
Cheers
Alex

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: ARDOUR, a good FREE DAW for Linux, Mac and Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Sounds like good stuff Alex, the only problem for me is my head is starting to hurt with the amount of software I have had to learn recently. I have come close to mastering Audacity and so far its done almost everything I need.

Found  a reasonably well written pan and zoom app and can now get good quality single plane results, new toy from Microsoft for stitching multiple images which is actually well written and works well then there is the techniques for both video and still images that I have had to add to the collection.

Been at photography for a very long time and have software that I like for tweaking/modifying image data and so far I have been reasonably happy with the Movavi software for editing video. Can handle both 720 and 1080 which is most of what you need for the internet but I don't have a suite of tools for 4k at the moment. I can shoot 4k and cut and splice it but not much else.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

LordAdef

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:39 AM »
Sure Hutch, but keep this one in mind. It supports video too, so you load your video and sinc music to it

Which is rare for a free daw

mineiro

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
the big deal to us programmers is just deal with raw data. We need load back this raw data.
Audacity can load raw data. :t
Raw data can be a image, just a point of view, so, we can "see" a music, or, we can song a photo....
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

LordAdef

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 12:29:29 PM »
the big deal to us programmers is just deal with raw data. We need load back this raw data.
Audacity can load raw data. :t
Raw data can be a image, just a point of view, so, we can "see" a music, or, we can song a photo....

Hi Mineiro, but Ardour seems to import raw data too! But with more resources

mineiro

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
This sounds good sir LordAdef;
I will check just for fun, thanks for this information.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything