Author Topic: Revamping an old box.  (Read 646 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Revamping an old box.
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »
My previous dev box was a 2.8 gig i7 that I built about 5 or 6 years ago and it was sitting around doing very little. It has a retail version of Win7 64 on it and was a very reliable box for the years I used it. I have just replaced the boot drive, a small 250 gig SSD with a 480 gig faster one that I had sitting on my table for the last month or so trying to work out what to do with it.

With a lot of pissing around I eventually succeeded in getting Macrium Reflect to clone the old bootdrive onto the new one then after benchmarking the disk, had to go look for a SATA3 connection on the board to get it to run at the right speed. After cleaning out the junk that had collected in the heat sink over 5 years, it ran stone cold as usual so I clocked it up from 2.8 gig to 3.3 gig and it still runs barely warm so all is well.

I am waiting on some friends of mine to get 4 x 4 gig DDR3 modules for the Gigabyte board as it is fussy about the type of memory it uses but upgrading it from 8 to 16 gig will put it into the useful range as a 64 bit box. Results so far seem good, it always felt a little sluggish in comparison to the Core2 quad I used with XP on it but tweaking it up to 3.3 gig seems to have solved that, using it is nice and snappy and it actually feels fast.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Revamping an old box.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
Memory turned up yesterday, plugged it in but it would not run. One of the BIOS settings I changed for the original memory did not work so after 4 changes of memory got it to work OK. It said the voltage setting  had used were wrong for the memory modules. Ran it for hours and it was still running stone cold so I tweaked the speed to 3.5 gig and it runs just as cold. Looked up the i7 860 and it was apparently popular with the overclockers some years ago and there was a bit of info around for it. The limit with these guys was about 4.2 gig.

The main win is I now have a viable Win7 64 bit box that is fast enough and has enough memory to be useful and its a real pleasure to be free of Win10 from time to time.
hutch at movsd dot com

Flash

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
First and foremost, I would like to say "Hello" because it's my first post on this forum. In terms of programming in MASM, I'm a beginner but hope that hard work and participating in the life of this website from time to time would broaden my mind :).

I was curious and I looked at the specification of your processor (Intel Core i7-860 I guess) and it seemed to be almost as obsolete as the computer which I use currently :) . I'm in possession of AMD Turion II M500 processor that is absolutely not suitable for overclocking unless you want to burn it down (I'm joking). But on the other hand, it has an appropriate performance to run Windows 10. Of course it isn't a state of the art and a demon of speed but it's durable (more or less). The computer which I use was originally shipped with Windows 7 Home but I decided to use my student version of Windows 8 and to upgrade it to Windows 10 during the last few years. After that I realized that the newest version of Windows is miles faster than its predecessors (especially Windows 7) and even some Linuxes that I had previously (Fedora and Suse). According to my observations, I suggest you say goodbye to Windows 7 and start taking pleasure in using Windows 10. The processing powers of your PC might not be wasted :) .

I've read somewhere that Windows 10 has a built-in support for SSE 2 instruction set. I mean that the compiler of C/C++ created by Microsoft use that technology as the default. It seems to be more efficient, probably. So, why not to change habits?

I would to say that my processor (Turion) is better, it recognizes a set of instructions which isn't supported by any Intel's devices. I'm thinking about 3DNow!. But nobody uses it :D .

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 11:33:29 PM »
Hi Flash,

Welcome on board. The old i7 860 supports SSE4.2 but not AVX. The 6 core Haswell I develop on supports up to AVX2 but it is a later processor, about a year old. I built the old i7 for Win7 64 and it will never be changed to Win10. My Haswell box runs Win10 64 Professional with 64 gig of memory, an Intel PCIe x 4 SSD and just under 14 terabytes of storage.

> I suggest you say goodbye to Windows 7 and start taking pleasure in using Windows 10.

I know all the pleasures of running Win10 64, updates that you cannot turn off that keep changing your settings, very few useful adjustments of the interface which is of Win3.0 vintage. Win 10 has a very robust back end (the technical stuff) but a really crappy interface that is buggy and unreliable.

I have only seen the press releases for the new Turion, supposed to be a fast processor that works well. Once you start writing code you can tell us how it works.
hutch at movsd dot com

Magnum

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »
My previous dev box was a 2.8 gig i7 that I built about 5 or 6 years ago and it was sitting around doing very little. It has a retail version of Win7 64 on it and was a very reliable box for the years I used it. I have just replaced the boot drive, a small 250 gig SSD with a 480 gig faster one that I had sitting on my table for the last month or so trying to work out what to do with it.

With a lot of pissing around I eventually succeeded in getting Macrium Reflect to clone the old bootdrive onto the new one then after benchmarking the disk, had to go look for a SATA3 connection on the board to get it to run at the right speed. After cleaning out the junk that had collected in the heat sink over 5 years, it ran stone cold as usual so I clocked it up from 2.8 gig to 3.3 gig and it still runs barely warm so all is well.

I am waiting on some friends of mine to get 4 x 4 gig DDR3 modules for the Gigabyte board as it is fussy about the type of memory it uses but upgrading it from 8 to 16 gig will put it into the useful range as a 64 bit box. Results so far seem good, it always felt a little sluggish in comparison to the Core2 quad I used with XP on it but tweaking it up to 3.3 gig seems to have solved that, using it is nice and snappy and it actually feels fast.

Can you give more details about what "pissing around consisted of."

Thanks.
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
I would have thought the context gave you the answer, I bought Macrium Reflect for my Win7 box and the once I needed it, it failed and would not copy a slightly damaged drive. As the software was still on my Win7 box, I used it to clone one SSD to another but it took multiple tries to get it to work and it has a poorly documented interface and highly obscure set of options.

If you are looking for freebies, use the free version of Acronis. I bought Acronis for this Win10 box and had to use it once already.
hutch at movsd dot com

anunitu

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »
Hutch,I don't think he gets the "figure it out as you go concept"

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »
I don't think either of them "got it". I had an old box that was in good nick so I put some extra memory in it and upped the clock rate. Added a 4tb disk replacing a 2tb one as well. Its fast enough, useful and has Win7 64 Ultimate Retail on it and I have a viable escape from Win10 if I need it.
hutch at movsd dot com

Magnum

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:36 AM »
I would have thought the context gave you the answer, I bought Macrium Reflect for my Win7 box and the once I needed it, it failed and would not copy a slightly damaged drive. As the software was still on my Win7 box, I used it to clone one SSD to another but it took multiple tries to get it to work and it has a poorly documented interface and highly obscure set of options.

If you are looking for freebies, use the free version of Acronis. I bought Acronis for this Win10 box and had to use it once already.

I can see why Macrium would struggle copying a damaged drive.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

aw27

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »
Looked up the i7 860 and it was apparently popular with the overclockers some years ago

I have one of those and it still works, although mostly used for tests now.
It is a great machine, with it I made lots of factorizations of big numbers using GNFS. One of them, a 156 digits number, is still in 18th place after 7 years. Many of the others ahead were done by pooling various computers together.
That factorization took 4868.06  hours (202 days), as registered in that website.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 12:08:22 AM »
You must be a lot more patient than I am, I make a point of turning a computer off at least once a day so that electronic components don't get an excessive massage over long periods. I had a look at your web site and you have some really great stuff on it. Pleasure to see someone who can still do useful things.
hutch at movsd dot com

aw27

• Let's Make ASM Great Again!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 03:44:24 AM »
You must be a lot more patient than I am, I make a point of turning a computer off at least once a day so that electronic components don't get an excessive massage over long periods.
The nice thing about doing big number factorizations is that we never know how long the machine will take.
I disconnected the computer many times, the calculations done so far were always saved and safe. The time I mentioned was net time, the total time was more than 1 year.   :dazzled:

I had a look at your web site and you have some really great stuff on it. Pleasure to see someone who can still do useful things.

Thank you  :t