News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

my 100% Assembly game development

Started by LordAdef, May 01, 2017, 03:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordAdef

QuoteThe "known thing" is that user needs feedback if required files are missing ;)

Indeed, I only sent the exe.

Hutch, just in case, I attached the Main_v8.13 with the other files.

LordAdef

This one is a solely a test, since HSE found the main plane flickering.

There are 2 planes, can you see any difference in flickering?

The plane on the left is the current one
The one on the right is bitblited to the double buffer instead.

I sense this may solve HSE´s issue, let´s see. I´m curious

Siekmanski

Hi Alex,

The right one doesn't flicker but the left one does.
The ABt text also flickers.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

LordAdef

Quote from: Siekmanski on May 09, 2017, 08:42:03 AM
Hi Alex,

The right one doesn't flicker but the left one does.
The ABt text also flickers.

Interesting... here at my machines they look the same. Doing the plane and bullets to the screen would save me some instructions... but this test shows that I must move them to the back buffer and keep them all tight there.

Thanks Marinus

ps: I forgot to clean that ABt from the UI. It´s a really cool feature I´m testing, but not just for me! I´ll post that idea separately soon (it´s going to useful for us too...)

anunitu

I applaud you for doing a game in assembler. I have always heard it is very difficult,but I think it is just you need to be more exact in your programming. I think higher level languages allow a programmer to be less exact and may encourage less stringent methods.

Go for it!!!!   

HSE

Ja, Ja. Fantastic!!

right perfect :t

left flickering. An interesting effect, look like flying under terrain.

Letters ABt also flickering.
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

Hi Alex,

The version posted in Reply #15 work fine.

LordAdef

HSE,

Thanks again mate. Since it´s not flickering here, I would never know. But I´m glad I quickly spotted the solution, I might be turning into Noob level 2, in the Noob Richter Scale

Hutch,
QuoteThe version posted in Reply #15 work fine.
Thanks and it was my fault.

Anunitu,
QuoteI applaud you for doing a game in assembler. I have always heard it is very difficult,but I think it is just you need to be more exact in your programming. I think higher level languages allow a programmer to be less exact and may encourage less stringent methods.

Glad to see you here!
It´s harder on me, since I´m too new to Assembly. A game with levels as I´m making imposes extra difficulties too.
Well, it´s a bit harder. But it´s doable and I´m up for the task. Obviously I´m having the support of you guys, otherwise I would be stuck far behind. Game is a big world. If I can finish this one (and I will) I will be proud and, if people play it, we may say "see, it´s fast, it´s small, it´s all made in Assembly by someone who just started... so let´s bring asm back to the table asap please!".. or something similar.

anunitu

Many of the early games on Nintindo were done in assembler,one reason was less memory and attempting to get every last advantage from those early chips. Some people are still active programming for those old chips,creating new games for the emulators.

See here.
https://www.gamedev.net/topic/343677-what-were-snes-games-programmed-in/

LordAdef

Quote from: anunitu on May 09, 2017, 06:50:18 PM
Many of the early games on Nintindo were done in assembler,one reason was less memory and attempting to get every last advantage from those early chips. Some people are still active programming for those old chips,creating new games for the emulators.

See here.
https://www.gamedev.net/topic/343677-what-were-snes-games-programmed-in/

And many others indeed. I was actually referring to main stream game programming. But you are right, there are many things coming back like chiptunes, arcade games and so on. I like that

jj2007

anunitu

I started my journey into assembler on a C64,and the 6502 chip. Then I saved enough to by an IBM box,and started on MASM.  Back in the late 80's

LordAdef

Quote from: jj2007 on May 09, 2017, 09:02:30 PM
Dunny does a good job on SpecBas. My first "real" computer was a Spectrum :P

Funny, I've started with my father's trs-80 but the first I owned was a computer called TK85, a brazilian machine of the zx Spectrum class, rubber keys etc...

hutch--

Apart from a HP 11C calculator, the first computer I played with was a z80 in a military style metal case where the lid contained the keyboard. Was busy running a business so I never got a chance to play with it much which was a blessing because when I started on x86 PCs, I did not have pre-conceived ideas about what it should do. Has a 286 for a month before I built a DX486 and its been one toy after another up to the current boat anchor.

LordAdef

Hi guys,

I spent 3 days with this fantastic OOP-ish idea with incredibly Avant-garde design  :dazzled: (for submarine bullets)...
...After nearly killing myself 3 times... I got it right, in a simpler way, in 2 hours. Why do we complicate things?

Now, submarines in game. If you face them they will shoot you back.
Would you test it for me? Exe only, There is a big mess to clean up now  :badgrin:

We are getting there... Now artillery.

Cheers
Alex