Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

my 100% Assembly game development

Started by LordAdef, May 01, 2017, 03:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

felipe

Quote from: LordAdef on December 19, 2017, 01:11:40 PM
Would you try it without the youtube + music playing and see if it holds?

I will do it and with the latest version.  :icon14: (btw i was listening music from youtube  :bgrin:).

Quote from: LordAdef on December 19, 2017, 01:11:40 PM
What´s your screen resolution?

Less than 1200 x 900

LordAdef

Hi Felipe,
QuoteUnless you want to use the CF it would be better to use INC edi (just a suggestion).   :icon14:

This is definitely a very controversial subject Felipe, and there are already loads of open debates about it (including Hutch vs Johen  ::))

Intel actually recommends ADD over INC for performance. Others disagree and my guess is "depends".
Hutch is in favour of ADD. JJ is in favour of INC. Wait and see..

That´s my main game loop, and I need performance. ADD, regardless of the debate, seems to be faster in more modern systems.
I made the choice for ADD following the performance suggestion made by the Intel manual (and Hutch).

I hope that clarifies my option and thank you for raising the subject.

You will surely find this subject here at our forum, with benchmarks, etc..

An interesting read:
http://www.masmforum.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=786dd40408172108b65a5a36b09c88c0&topic=4662.0

QuoteBtw if you don't want more suggestion from me i can shut up with no problem.  :greensml:
Don´t worry, I never mind constructive suggestions. That´s how we learn or double-check things! Just bare in mind that my code is not optimized yet, so you may bump into something I´m still going to change.
But There are already very optimized code in there. If you want, check "decomp.asm". It´s very fast and efficient. Although it´s my algo, credit must be given to our friends here, who helped me optimizing it.

Cheers Alex

felipe

I have tried the last version (without doing anything else with the pc) and didn't crashed.  :icon14:

LordAdef

Quote from: felipe on December 19, 2017, 01:56:10 PM
I have tried the last version (without doing anything else with the pc) and didn't crashed.  :icon14:
Great!!

LordAdef

v8.15

I´ve corrected the missing element and my "drunk badguy" bug. It was an out of boundary array loop....

Now, everything can be shot dead. To be more fun, all collisions detection are on. It´s quite tough!

LordAdef

Small update: v1.853

Gas Pump: fill tank
New assets: civilian cars, bridge
Bonus: reach the bonus point and earn an extra life
Small game logic tweaks, and small bug corrections

ps: Terrain collision detection off.

This time, exe (plus 3 lib files) only.

LordAdef

v8.16:

Many overall code changes.
. Main loop engine completely rewritten, with substantial gain in performance. I got rid of those slow textOut and build two buffers. A lot fasters (code is commented, in PAINT btw)

. Changes in the game flow control
. Fixed man´s own explosion
. Now, when man is dead, animation continues
. Acceleration has been improved and now has some kinetics (still in development) (try it , it can go reaaally fast)
. Civilian vehicles you shouldn´t kill

this build has some new easy-to-fix bugs, due to the new engine implementation/ flow control.

GUI should be a lot smoother now

HSE

Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

jj2007

Yes indeed, it has become challenging :badgrin:

Over 3,000 lines of code, this has become a nice project :t

LordAdef

Thanks HSE and JJ,

Yes! I´m having a lot of fun with it. Remember I started learning MASM from scratch, here with you... I know I´m still a noob, but I´m persistent  :biggrin:

BTW, I needed to add a font to my resource so I could use it without installing it into the user´s pc.
But I don´t know how to do it. I couldn´t find how. I guess I´m trying in a way to get rid of the homework.....  You would give this friend a little help ??

Siekmanski

Very cool.  :t
I've never been killed that many times in such a short period.  :badgrin:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

jj2007

Quote from: LordAdef on January 20, 2018, 01:03:17 PMI needed to add a font to my resource so I could use it without installing it into the user´s pc.

You can always embed a font file in the resources. Little example:

include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc         ; download
  Init
  If_ Not Exist("MsgBox.exe") Then FileWrite "MsgBox.exe", res:77       ; extract a file from RCDATA resource #77
  Launch "MsgBox.exe"
EndOfCode

Rsrc
#include "resource.h"
IDI_APPLICATION ICON    "\\Masm32\\MasmBasic\\icons\\Smiley.ico"        // Calc, Disk, Editor, Eye, Globe, MasmBasic, Smiley
01 RT_MANIFEST         "\\Masm32\\MasmBasic\\Res\\XpManifest.xml"
77 RCDATA      "MsgBox.exe"
Rsrc

aw27

I have never been good at playing games, but would like to know the reason I can't get more than this?!

PS: I pressed 1 to start. I unzipped creating a folder with an assets subfolder.

HSE

Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

LordAdef

hi aw27,

well, thanks for the feedback! what's your Windows?

BTW, all you need is the .exe file plus the 3 .dat files (L1, L2, L3). everything else is already withing the exe.

unless you're pressing the wrong "1" , there is something wrong here...

would you please try the previous version and let me know? It's one post earlier.

Cheers