Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

16 bit or 32 bit???

Started by hopyshopy, August 25, 2012, 01:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopyshopy

Hello
       I want to learn advance assembly programming.... and want to have grip on it... but i am confused that in my school i did program for 16 bit register Now at this time i want to learn more concepts and advanced programming....but where to start i dont know so any skilled programmer or teacher guide me, where is the best starting point... and how to skill on it. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

dedndave

in the upper right hand corner of the forum is a masm32 download link
there are many good examples of 32-bit code, help files, and tutorials

Tedd

Your school taught 16-bit from old materials; learn 32-bit - which will also soon be old, but there's still a lack of 64-bit materials.
Potato2

hopyshopy

I used the text book "Assembly language programming and organization of the IBM PC" . By yutha yu & Charles marut. For 32 bit there is any good book ? Yes i can use tutorials. Can I use emu8086 with masm32??? Thanks :biggrin:

dedndave

the 8086 was a 16-bit CPU
masm32 is a 32-bit package

also - programming for DOS (16-bit) is very different than programming for windows (mostly 32 or 64-bit)

DOS used segmented addressing and vectored software interrupts
32-bit windows uses a flat memory model and the windows API functions

hopyshopy

@ dedndave
really appreciated :)
your three lines are very informative for me thanks a lot :biggrin:

Gunther

Quote from: hopyshopy on August 25, 2012, 01:41:20 AM
Hello
       I want to learn advance assembly programming.... and want to have grip on it... but i am confused that in my school i did program for 16 bit register Now at this time i want to learn more concepts and advanced programming....but where to start i dont know so any skilled programmer or teacher guide me, where is the best starting point... and how to skill on it. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

Go for 32 bit and later to 64 bit. The Intel and AMD manuals are a good knowledge source.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.