Author Topic: Smart TV's  (Read 610 times)

anunitu

Smart TV's
« on: May 13, 2017, 04:12:39 AM »
I just got a new TV(Samsung smart TV)

My other TV is an LG 32 inch and not a smart one.

I am wondering if anyone has any hints or suggestions about a "Smart" TV..It is getting hard to even find a 32 inch or below(Perfect size for my small apartment) anymore. Smart as in it connects online I think. Hoping as someone wrote it will not spy on me,or as I have read "track" my viewing habits.

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
Re: Smart TV's
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »
Smart in the sense that it can connect not only with internet but with another devices, such as a smart phone or a tablet. Hence, you will be able to watch movies from internet broadcasters such as netflix or others. I suggest you to buy a UHD (4K) one, they have reduced their prices a lot and are the near future, its video quality is very appreciable. Many stations are already playing in 4K.
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

mineiro

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 09:32:07 AM »
hello sir anunitu;
You can connect your cellphone to tv. So, cellphone (if have infrared sensor) can be used as a remote control with apropriated program on cellphone.
Being infrared you also are able to controls eletronic doors...
You can access a youtube video on cellphone and watch that video on TV screen, or share cellphone screen on TV.

Invisible war that's happening is about remote control tv. When rival soccer teams play, we go to bar that's showing that game on TV and change channel to our team. :lol: But this kidding have bounds, some persons put erotic things on tv, this is bad if you are with your family on a bar.

I refuted cellphone for a long time, and I continue doing this, I don't like to be a zoombie. But this device have a lot of sensors that computers don't have onboard. So, on cellphone you can have a compass, level meter, lumens meter, acceleration meter, ... . On camp or field this is so much usefull.
We can take a photo of some plant or flower that we do not know name on real time and upload photo to a search engine machine by trying to reach that flower name or similars.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

felipe

• I love assembly language programming.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 01:24:10 PM »
I heard in the news, some time ago, that some companies spied users with cameras inside the screen... :icon_eek:  :dazzled:
Felipe.

Magnum

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
I just got a new TV(Samsung smart TV)

My other TV is an LG 32 inch and not a smart one.

I am wondering if anyone has any hints or suggestions about a "Smart" TV..It is getting hard to even find a 32 inch or below(Perfect size for my small apartment) anymore. Smart as in it connects online I think. Hoping as someone wrote it will not spy on me,or as I have read "track" my viewing habits.

I do not mean to make you overly suspicious.

If it connects online, it can spy on you.

I had a friend who told me that AT&* told him that they could use the speaker in his phone as a microphone.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

felipe

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
That's the reason why i have a "stupid" tv and an "idiot" cell phone... :icon_mrgreen:
Felipe.

Magnum

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
That's the reason why i have a "stupid" tv and an "idiot" cell phone... :icon_mrgreen:

Felipe,

You have much wisdom Grasshopper. :-)
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-16.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

felipe

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »

Felipe,

You have much wisdom Grasshopper. :-)

http://wisdomoftheanimals.com/animal_totems/Grasshopper_animal_totem.html  :lol:
Felipe.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
I find the idea rediculous that you need to have appliances connected to the internet. I have a really smart refrigerator that fully protects the secrecy of what I store in it because it is only a refrigerator, not a spy device to learn the secrets of my cuisine. (If you knew how bad a cook I am you would understand the humour involved) I refuse to use a mobile phone, even though an old bloke I know insisted he give me his old one, it sits under other things on my computer table turned off as I have no use for it.

As far as my computers, none have a camera or microphone attached and the only loss involved is I can't make faces at whoever may be listening. Can you imagine some dork in the KGB/CIA/MI5/6/MOSSAD/Whatever listening to how to write high quality assembler or better still, a recording of Joe Biden making a speech on foreign policy, perhaps Leonard Breznev reading out the communist manifesto or the Ayotollah Khomenie explaining his interpretation of the Koran ?  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

anunitu

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 05:14:50 PM »
I get that Hutch,the only reason I have now a "Smart" TV is because it seems you can not buy a 32 inch TV that is not "Smart" I like my old 32 inch TV that is also my 32 inch monitor. The new ones also don't have a monitor function.  Finding a small TV is getting hard,everything is 40-60 inch. I don't have a cell phone ether. I don't think I would want a smart phone,though I did see where there is a thing where you use a cradle and your smart phone becomes your Computer,and displays on your TV/monitor. So computer very small,lighter and smaller. I have also seen where you use your phone or MP3 device as a plug in for a stereo,so less bulk for you. Even the reason I went for a flat screen was because of the size/weight ratio. My vision is less than it used to be,and the 32 inch allows me easier reading online. You are I think only 2 years younger than me,so I know how you feel about the cell.

Also Hutch,you know we are the Grumpy old men :badgrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
I find the idea rediculous that you need to have appliances connected to the internet. I have a really smart refrigerator that fully protects the secrecy of what I store in it because it is only a refrigerator, not a spy device to learn the secrets of my cuisine. (If you knew how bad a cook I am you would understand the humour involved) I refuse to use a mobile phone

I refused until two weeks ago, when I was forced by my family to adopt a smart phone. OK, the old one was full with crap and didn't work with some sms providers, but still... and now I am stuck with Android. Windows is crap, Android is worse. Whoever is responsible for this "OS" should join Bill Gates in his prison cell. My 2cts.

caballero

• Abre Ojos Ensamblador
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:07 PM »
Apart from the debate about the possible contribution of mobile phones to cancer, I think its use is undoubtedly useful, because it is like a Swiss Army Knife: in addition to telephone, it is a music and video player, a camera and even a pfs reader. Personally I'm not interested in the internet on the mobile. On the other hand, even today you can find mobile phones for less than € 15 if you want them. And, yes, you can find "fool" tvs too 32" for less than 200€, and also 4k TV for 400€ that one year ago cost three times or more. There are many possibilities :bgrin:
En un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme

anta40

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 11:37:38 PM »
I do not mean to make you overly suspicious.

If it connects online, it can spy on you.

I had a friend who told me that AT&* told him that they could use the speaker in his phone as a microphone.

A healthy curiousity is fine, though.
Any device involving internet/telecommunication could theoritically spy on you, and of course there are some real cases of it.

For the security-paranoid folks, I imagine using a 100% free, open source phone is beneficial. What I mean by "100% free" is:
1. both apps and OS code must be accesible and modifiable
2. the hardware spec/schematic be accesible

Regarding #1, iOS is obviously a closed one. On the other side, I'm not sure which phone manfucaturers provide a free, Android system on their phones.
Take note that Linux, the kernel that is the heart of Android is not 100% free code (there are binary-only firmwares on it).
And then add some proprietary components by phone manufacturer.  ;)
Well, there is a free Android distro: Replicant. It doesn't support many devices at the moment, though.  :(

Regarding #2, well... I really have no idea about this. Is there any free & certified hardware?

Years ago, there was a noble attempt to create a free phone: OpenMoko.
Too bad it's already discontinued.  :(

mineiro

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 08:29:14 AM »
cellphones have nice sensors;
You put your finger into one sensor and you can check heart beats.
You can walk with cellphone and that checks how many walk steps you have done.
While using camera you point to any collor that you're looking and a program give to you that rgb color.
Building a wall? you can use level meter.
Lost you keys? You can use metal detector. But programs that I have used only trigger if very close to object.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

felipe

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 01:05:21 PM »
cellphones have nice sensors;
You put your finger into one sensor and you can check heart beats.
You can walk with cellphone and that checks how many walk steps you have done.
While using camera you point to any collor that you're looking and a program give to you that rgb color.
Building a wall? you can use level meter.
Lost you keys? You can use metal detector. But programs that I have used only trigger if very close to object.

So, what are the spying sensors?  :P
Felipe.