News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Extremely slow context menus

Started by jj2007, May 29, 2017, 08:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

I have a bit of trouble with my right-click context menu in Explorer and file manager. So I searched a bit and found NirSoft ShellExView:
QuoteShellExView is an excellent tool to view and manage all installed shell extensions. If available, it displays the description, as well as version details, company information, location, file name and more.

It looks interesting BUT the suggested method to identify the item that slows down the process is to
- disable half of them,
- reboot,
- check if it's still slow.

I have 36 items currently:
2*18
2*9
4+5
2+2

Five reboots under the optimistic assumption that after a reboot you can find the culprit. Which is too optimistic because often it simply works fine :icon_mrgreen:

So an awful lot of trial and error just to find out why sometimes the bloody context menu takes ten seconds and more (!) to open. Btw not only on my machine - it seems a very COMmon problem :(

Why the hell does Windows not have built-in tools to identify the slow item? And if Windows, pardon:Redmond is too DUMB to do it, would it be possible to hook the context menu and check the speed of each item??

jimg

I have had the same problem since the last windows 10 update.  And it goes even further.   When I try to move the scollbar on a listbox, it hesitates two or three seconds before it starts moving.   Other intermitant slowdowns have me seriously considering dropping back to windows 7.

Basically, I'm trying to say, it might not be an actual program that slows it down, but the system itself.

jj2007

Quote from: jimg on May 29, 2017, 09:32:13 AMhave me seriously considering dropping back to windows 7.

Jim, don't do that! Me talking about Win7-64 above :icon_mrgreen:

sinsi

Have you tried killing Explorer from Task Manager and restarting it? Can be quicker then a reboot.

jj2007

Good idea, sinsi. Will try asap.

TWell

ShellExView have Options -> Restart Explorer Ctrl+E

jj2007