Author Topic: Internet connections in Australia under the NBN.  (Read 270 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Internet connections in Australia under the NBN.
« on: August 30, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »
Last week the high speed connection was attached to the front of my house and I just became a little wiser as to what I am getting. The original optical fibre to the premise is not going to happen and the usual alternative is called fibre to the node but as I live in the inner city there is an alternative as there is Foxtel cable in my street.

This means if and when I get the thing connected I will get what is called "Hybrid Fibre Co-Axial" which is supposed to be as fast as direct optical fibre with the current top speed of 100 mbit with the promise of a future upgrade to 1 gigabit.

The main hassle at the moment is I need a fixed IP which my long time ISP has yet to get going and while they are supposed to be working on it, I am stuck with ADSL2+ until they can get it to work.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

sinsi

Re: Internet connections in Australia under the NBN.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »
Who is your ISP?

We can't even get ADSL here (metro Adelaide) because no ports are available in the exchange and no new infrastructure is going in because of the NBN (which we are supposed to get next year).
Currently using wireless, connects to a 4G tower but is limited to 10Mbps, fast enough I guess...at least it never drops below 10.

Had to convince a bloke, who paid for 100Mbps NBN (FTTP*) but was only getting 10-15, that his 6 devices were sharing a 54Mbps wireless connection.
Plugged the laptop into ethernet and guess what, 90Mbps.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
I am an old customer of iinet and with the ADSL2+ I get about 15 mbit down and just under 1 mbit up which works OK but importantly for me, I run a business account so I can have a fixed IP which I need for security reasons with my main web site. I contacted NBN but got a guy with a terrible accent who was a genuine DILL who did not know what a fixed IP was. The Foxtel based HFC is supposed to be able to handle 100 mbit but its no use to me if I cannot get a fixed IP.

Sad to say this mess came from Phony Tony and his bullsh*t about how fast their hybrid system was going to be which now is twice the price for half the speed.
hutch at movsd dot com

sinsi

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
HFC is your NBN, no fibre for you.

I would blame Mal The "Tech" (Mr. Ozemail) rather than dopey Tony.
I can walk on water but stagger on beer.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
 :biggrin:

At least it is a step up from FTTN, a cabinet parked down the road somewhere with old telephone lines to the house. I am lucky I have a good old fashioned copper connection which gives me OK ADSL2+ so I can survive for a while until they get the fixed IP going.
hutch at movsd dot com

alikim

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »
After 11 years of ADSL I finally got TPG FTTB ... yay! ...still connected through a telephone wire.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 07:49:40 PM »
Have you tested the upload and download speed yet ?
hutch at movsd dot com

alikim

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:59:30 AM »
You are lucky: I've got 6.76 down and 0.79 up speed :(

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 02:48:32 AM »
Thats unfortunate, that is about what I was getting with the early version of ADSL. Look at it on the bright side, in the early days of 28k dialup, you were lucky to half of the 28k. Back in the late 1990s I did the first download of the Win98ddk which ran for 23 hours then crashed. I put the bite on a friend of mine who was my ISP and he downloaded it from the server and I was able to get it from the server in a bit over an hour.
hutch at movsd dot com

alikim

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »
You had a hell of an ADSL then, mine was ADSL2+ and I only had 2Mb down / 0.1 Mb up on a sunny day.

In late 90s I was in Europe where I had an unlimited  cable 10MB/10MB for $10 a month and now 20 years later I have this ... but hey, it's getting better xD