Author Topic: Cleaning Windows  (Read 820 times)

Grincheux

• Never be pleased, Always improve
    • Asm for fun
Cleaning Windows
« on: February 25, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »
Download CCleaner
Download CCEnhancer
Download WiseCare 365

Install CCleaner but do not launch it
Install WiseCare 365 but do not run it
Run CCEnhancer
Agree to launch CCLeaner

Now check the boxes you will be surprised
Launch WiseCare 365
ReRun CCleaner and clean the registry

That's all
Kenavo (Bye)
----------------------
Asm for Fun
My Links
"La garde meurt mais ne rend pas"
Cambronne à Waterloo

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
CCleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:43:17 AM »
Cute - I just installed CCleaner a few days ago:
Dear CCleaner customers, users and supporters,

We would like to apologize for a security incident that we have recently found in CCleaner version 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191. A suspicious activity was identified on September 12th, 2017, where we saw an unknown IP address receiving data from software found in version 5.33.6162 of CCleaner, and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191, on 32-bit Windows systems. Based on further analysis, we found that the 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner and the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud was illegally modified before it was released to the public, and we started an investigation process. We also immediately contacted law enforcement units and worked with them on resolving the issue. Before delving into the technical details, let me say that the threat has now been resolved in the sense that the rogue server is down, other potential servers are out of the control of the attacker, and we’re moving all existing CCleaner v5.33.6162 users to the latest version. Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm.

Technical description
An unauthorized modification of the CCleaner.exe binary resulted in an insertion of a two-stage backdoor capable of running code received from a remote IP address on affected systems.

The suspicious code was hidden in the application’s initialization code called CRT (Common Runtime) that is normally inserted during compilation by the compiler.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Cleaning Windows
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »
Now you know why I don't trust stuff like this. Unless you know exactly what it does, never let anything scan your computer.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jimg

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
I've used CCleaner for twenty years,  back then is was blatantly called Crap Cleaner.  I trust it as much as I trust Microsoft,  and significantly more than Google or Adobe.

shankle

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:33:05 AM »
In response to Hutch's message.
You are absolutely right in not trusting any 3rd party program. The Internet is a very dangerous
place imho. But that does not solve the problem people like me have with the crap that is
loaded onto your system every time you go on the internet. I use Sandboxie every time I go on the
internet and it is amazing how much junk is loaded into your computer in seconds (approx. 600)
crap messages doing who knows what. I have the ability through Sandboxie to delete these crap
messages when I go off the internet.
So what do you do to unload all the junk that Ccleaner finds? I am not questioning your wisdom
but need a viable option to stop all this continuous crap.

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:02:58 AM »
Have an older version (64Bit) of CCleaner..
Always install with net cable disconnected and Process viewer running... monitor any net attempts.
Then run Autoruns to check for any scheduled and runonce items - If I find any I delete that particular exe/app file, then deleted the config with autoruns, then clean up with CCLeaner.

So far so good for my PC
 8)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

shankle

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:23:59 AM »
Don't know if I made a wise choice or not but I feel Ccleaner has reached the end of its life cycle.
If the hackers feel it's time to hack CCleaner then IMHO it's time to go somewhere else.
I choose Wise Disk Cleaner and Wise Registry Cleaner.
I have also switched from Internet EX to K-Melion.
Hope I will be a happy guy.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 01:59:13 AM »
Jack,

Have a look at "Slimjet" (the portable version), it has the Google Chrome interface but has Google spyware removed. Very good ad blocker, comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions and it is fast.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :biggrin:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »
Just installed Slimjet, and it looks good but chokes with an int 3 if I don't launch it as an administrator :(

jimg

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 03:29:28 AM »
While I originally defended ccleaner,  I actually have used Wise for five years also.  Seems to do a better job.

Anyone tried Waterfox?  It removes a couple of objectionable things from Firefox.  Also, Firefox is about to update a big change that will no longer support Classic Theme Restorer addon, whereas Waterfox won't, so I'll probably be switching soon.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 03:48:13 AM »
I am just testing Pale Moon again - look and feel like Firefox, but working set is around 300MB now, while FF would be already at around 1GB after five minutes of browsing.